Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

jobs_poster-250x370.jpg
According to box office reporting service Box Office Mojo (via AppleInsider), Joshua Michael Stern's Steve Jobs biography "Jobs" made an estimated $6.7 million this weekend, less than the [url="

Article Link: 'Jobs' Makes $6.7 Million in Opening Weekend, Below Distributor Projections

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
The average person would not be interested in this. Only people who knew who Steve Jobs was and even then, were die hard fans, would go see this movie.

There are many people who own Apple products who don't even know who he was.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
It just not a good story in movie format, pirates of silicon valley was a good old school movie but this is just sycophantic to the extreme and won't stand up to modern film writing which is usually pretty extraordinary. This is just about a bloke who did geeky stuff, you can't sex that up.

I knew it would become a movie it's just a shame it was made this way.

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
The average person would not be interested in this. Only people who knew who Steve Jobs was and even then, were die hard fans, would go see this movie.

There are many people who own Apple products who don't even know who he was.

Yup, I agree. I guess they tried to personify him as someone glorious and make money off it, but they failed badly. Thank goodness. :)

swester

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2010
What a shocker. I could tell this was doomed from the first time I saw that trailer. Godawful script with godawful actors.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Wait, so people don't want to see Ashton kutcher in a serious drama role?

Who woulda thunk it

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
I'll still watch it. But this movie wasn't very necessary considering PoSV exists. It's like telling the same story and adding a few years more.

I'm more excited for the 2014 one. Sounds like an interesting take on what Jobs did and not just another life-story film.

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
First of all, I actually enjoyed the movie in spite of what the critics said. While Ashton Kutcher is far from Sir Lawrence Olivier, there are a lot of worse actors in Hollywood, and the movie itself was very interesting, especially with respect to the dynamics between Steve and the Apple board in the mid 80s and again in the late 90s when he returned. While many details and conversations may have been inaccurate, the GIST of the movie was very accurate, even when comparing it to the known facts that are out there (from Isaacson's book as well as "Pirates of Silicon Valley", for example).

Meanwhile, Sorkin's screenplay consists of THREE 30 MINUTE SCENES IN REAL TIME, BACKSTAGE BEFORE PRODUCT LAUNCHES?!? And that is considered to be a better way to show a biography? I mean, I get the whole artsy-fartsy thing, and Sorkin snorts all kinds of mind altering drugs, and it's "thinking different" and all that crap, but seriously? Did Sorkin even READ Walter Isaacson's book? That is not at all how the book told the story!! And does anyone think that movie is going to be able to capture Jobs' personality and everything he did in 3 scenes in real time?!?!

It would be one thing if he were taking the non-linear approach of using the product launches to have flashbacks to the 1970s, etc., thus actually showing Jobs' life. But I'm not sure I'm interested re-watching Steve Jobs launch the Mac, the Next Cube and the iPod. I know, you're all just itching to give me the no-longer-available "thumbs down", because I didn't tow the party line and bash Ashton Kutcher while praising Aaron Sorkin. But I think his interpretation of Walter Isaacson's book SUCKS, and this method of telling a great man's life story in 3 real-time half hour scenes is ridiculous.

Well, that's my two cents. I think if some of you people can forget "Dude, Where's My Car?" and "That 70's Show" for two hours and just go in with an open mind, you may actually enjoy this "Jobs" movie more than you think...particularly if you're an already knowledgeable Apple enthusiast. And I think that's a forgone conclusion if you're reading and posting on the MacRumors Forum.

P.S. The reason Woz hated it is because he was portrayed as a minor player in the Apple saga, at least following the Apple II. Plus Josh Gad is a fat clown, and Woz wasn't even fat until the past 10 or 15 years. I would have hated it too if Josh Gad were playing me!

Last edited:

mrr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
I thought the acting was actually pretty good, given the material, as was the casting and the art direction.

But the screen writing and the direction was pretty sub par. I feel sorry for the editor who must of done their best given the screen play which went nowhere. Not that the editing was excellent either.

Most everything about Woz was way off base.

I didn't learn anything new about Steve Jobs and it didn't lead me to any revelation or greater understanding of the man or the events surrounding his life. Too bad because the story is a compelling one, and a really great writer could have turned it into a masterpiece.

I guess the whole thing was rushed to make some quick money out of people just like me who would go to see it regardless.

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
I was going to see this despite Ashton, just because I heard Aaron Sorkin wrote the screenplay. Turns out, he didn't. Maybe if it comes out on cable and I can't find the remote... And my legs are broken...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.