Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
Thanks for the excellent review of the Sorkin movie. I don't know how you managed to get to screen a movie that won't be released until next year, but I'm sure your summary is 100% accurate.

Thank you for pointing out that I wasn't clear. I'm not quite sure why you thought that was a "movie review," but please allow me to clarify....

I think THE IDEA of translating Walter Isaacson's book into 3 real-time scenes, all taking place at product launches, is an absurd idea and does not at all represent what Isaacson's book was all about. Now, if you read Isaacson's book (like I did), I'm sure you'll agree that the 56 years of Steve Jobs' life detailed in the 656 page text will be very difficult to convey in 3 product launches. Will the movie suck? Hard to say. Will it convey the same story presented in the book? Very unlikely. Can I give a "review" of the movie without actually seeing it? Of course not. So, for you sticklers out there, THIS IS NOT A REVIEW. This is my opinion of the concept, detailed by Sorkin himself, of writing a movie consisting of only 3 real-time scenes as a legitimate way of putting Walter Isaacson's book on the silver screen. Again, THIS IS MY OPINION OF WHAT SORKIN HAS SAID. NOT A MOVIE REVIEW.

Now, I realize this may be difficult for you to grasp, Gasu E., but this was really not a movie review, nor should it be interpreted as such. As I never said I actually saw the movie, I'm not quite clear how you came up with that conclusion, but then again, unprovoked nasty sarcasm has never been a sign of higher brain function.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
dude.jpg

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Thank you for pointing out that I wasn't clear. I'm not quite sure why you thought that was a "movie review," but please allow me to clarify....

I think THE IDEA of translating Walter Isaacson's book into 3 real-time scenes, all taking place at product launches, is an absurd idea and does not at all represent what Isaacson's book was all about. Now, if you read Isaacson's book (like I did), I'm sure you'll agree that the 56 years of Steve Jobs' life detailed in the 656 page text will be very difficult to convey in 3 product launches. Will the movie suck? Hard to say. Will it convey the same story presented in the book? Very unlikely. Can I give a "review" of the movie without actually seeing it? Of course not. So, for you sticklers out there, THIS IS NOT A REVIEW. This is my opinion of the concept, detailed by Sorkin himself, of writing a movie consisting of only 3 real-time scenes as a legitimate way of putting Walter Isaacson's book on the silver screen. Again, THIS IS MY OPINION OF WHAT SORKIN HAS SAID. NOT A MOVIE REVIEW.

Now, I realize this may be difficult for you to grasp, Gasu E., but this was really not a movie review, nor should it be interpreted as such. As I never said I actually saw the movie, I'm not quite clear how you came up with that conclusion, but then again, unprovoked nasty sarcasm has never been a sign of higher brain function.

Sorkin is doing something substantially different than a standard biopic. That's interesting in its own right.

Zyphras

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
The entire movie in one headline

BREAKING HEADLINE:

Dead-Famous-Guy Movie in Cynical Misguided Hacky Hollywood Cashgrab Shocker!

Zemzil

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
Geneva, Swiss
From an european view, Jack Tramiel is more close to the mythological entrepreneur "american dream" than Jobs in the computer industry, even nobody knows him today in the mainstream opinion.

He was born in Poland and after five years of persecutions, being deported with his family in Auschwitz at 15 years old. Liberated by US troops, he gone to New York in 1947, join the army, then work as a cab driver.

In 1954 he bought a small typewriting shop in the Bronx that he renamed... Commodore. The rest is history. :cool:

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
Sorkin is doing something substantially different than a standard biopic. That's interesting in its own right.

Yes, I agree that it's "interesting." I just don't know if 3 product launches will qualify it as a "biopic." Nor do I know if it will do justice to Isaacson's great book. I was just disappointed to hear it was being done this way. I just can't see how the launches of Mac, Next Cube and iPod all sum up Steve's life.

It's kind of like when you go to a baseball game and some famous country singer decides to sing the National Anthem with his own "flair." Fans of tradition and the original song are often disappointed, while fans of that particular singer often cheer the loudest.

Similarly, I think fans of The West Wing will be the biggest supporters of Sorkin's movie, while those of us who love Apple and what Steve Jobs represented but are indifferent about Sorkin may be as disappointed as they were with Ashton Kutcher.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
No surprise here. A factually incorrect movie with second rate actors and a second rate script does not do well in the box office. That's about what one would expect.

Antares

macrumors 68000
I don't understand the hate. Kutcher did an excellent job playing Jobs in this movie.

Though the movie did feel a little empty, I really liked it, overall. I wish the NeXT years could have been explored and Pixar mentioned. It jumped through time too quickly and felt like it was missing a lot of story. But the movie would probably have to run 6 hours or more...or broken into multiple films.

I've said it before and I will say it again: Everyone on MacRumors should see this movie (Jobs). Bring along any friends and family who are interested in tech and/or Apple. It is definitely worth a watch at the theater!

spicynujac

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2012
The Aaron Sorkin version should be good.

For all those saying that a story about Steve Jobs is just "not that interesting" to the general public... are you kidding me? SJ was a fascinating, entertaining, quirky, incredibly interesting man, and far, far more of an interesting person than that one dimensional nerd Mark Zuckerberg, and look how popular the Facebook movie was. There is a great story waiting to be told, and I look forward to watching this film on dvd and then seeing the Sorkin version.

Personally I think they should have gotten the "mac" guy from the mac vs pc commercials--Justin Long. He looks a little like Steve too!

whocaresit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2010
Loved it.. Except for the abrupt ending.. :eek:
Surprisingly my theatre had a 90% occupancy on a SUNDAY!:eek:

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
I'm jot really surprised. It's not exactly The Social Network

I've not heard anything about it at all outside of this and maybe one other website.

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
I'm not really sure who this movie was for. I saw it Saturday night and while I thought Ashton did a nice job, the rest was just 2 hours of loose ends, plot points that go nowhere, and characters who are barely introduced or even given a name. Most of the factual occurrences are just thrown in to really dumb unrealistic scenes (i.e. Steve's love of typeface coming from a pretty girl he happened to bump into at school).

The history with Bill Gates/Microsoft is almost completely blown over, with the exception of maybe a 5 minute scene, and far too much time is spent on the making of the Apple I/II, and then later the boardroom politics.

It was boring for someone who didn't know the history (my girlfriend), and for me it came across as an insanely sloppy point-by-point checklist of events that happened in Steve's life, with no real point or explanation.

And why?!...WHY?!...can nobody cast a good Steve Wozniak or not make him the comic relief? I was really disappointed to see that Woz's portrayal in this movie wasn't far off from Jorge Garcia's in iSteve, which was a comedy/parody. Without Woz, there probably wouldn't be an Apple - plain and simple. Writers/directors should treat him with a little more respect.

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008
Your average consumer just cares about the iPod, iPhone and iPad. They don't care about the person behind it. Does the average person know the CEO of Pepsi, Honda, McDonald or Google? No, they just care about the product; not the person behind the product. And Apple never had any original ideas. The mp3 player, computer, smart phone and tablet were already on the market. He took other peoples inventions and made better.

The Steve Jobs story is a great story all in itself; the man is fascinating.

That's probably the reason the movie got green lit despite having a terrible script...

Reading all the reviews it now sounds like this was actually worse than "Pirates"... and I thought Pirates was truly god-awful.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I've said before and I'll say it again. Ashton Kutcher simply does not have the depth to show the intensity of Jobs. Christian Bale would have been a much better choice. In any case, I've used Apple products since the Mac+, but I have no desire to see this film because it seems so poorly cast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.