Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
Simple question. I vaguely remember there being an issue with the iphone 5 the last time it was released with people either wanting to buy it without a contract (or maybe it was just an unlocked version).

Just want to make sure I can....my iphone 5 was stolen out of contract (no insurance) so I'm in the market for the new one.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Well you can pay full-price/without a contract at launch. Unlocked is another story.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
The 4S took a month before unlocked models were sold in the US. For the 5, it was longer, like a month and a half to 2 months. I maybe wrong, so someone correct me if I am.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
bought two iPhone 5 at the time of launch without contract at full price. and they are factory unlocked by default.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
So a couple of people are saying they could....and others are saying they couldn't?

I just want to buy a verizon version without a contract....not sure if that means unlocked or not. Will I be able to do that?

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
My post was phones directly sold by Apple, no contract and unlocked. You may be able to buy them without a contract (full price) but there is no guarantee. And I (vaguely) remember shortly after launch, you couldn't get the 5 off contract though the carriers, I think because so many people were going that route and the carriers want you to sign contracts.

The point is, we really don't know what will happen at this time.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
So a couple of people are saying they could....and others are saying they couldn't?

I just want to buy a verizon version without a contract....not sure if that means unlocked or not. Will I be able to do that?

You can definitely do that. Buying unlocked is completely different than paying full-price.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
From what I remember you can always buy iphones without contracts from the apple store and just pay full price. At telecom's, it has been possible but comes with some restrictions. With the introduction of no contract plans at Att/T-Mobile/Verizon I think it won't be an issue. Unlocked phones usually come out a few weeks after launch and can only be bought at Apple stores.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Simple question. I vaguely remember there being an issue with the iphone 5 the last time it was released with people either wanting to buy it without a contract (or maybe it was just an unlocked version).

Just want to make sure I can....my iphone 5 was stolen out of contract (no insurance) so I'm in the market for the new one.

Why not. I have always been able to buy from AT&T outright if I wished. They make their money either way.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
So many differences across the atlantic..

In the UK, iPhones always available unlocked on the day of release. Directly from Apple.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012

You ask a simple question. But as you can see from the responses, I don't think your question has a simple answer.

You ca order a Verizon iPhone on launch day through Apple and have it delivered to an Apple retail store, then tell them you want to pay full price. That would probably be your best bet of getting a phone off contract.

However, I'm pretty sure that the CDMA cellular portion will be locked to Verizon. Reports vary on whether the LTE SIM will be locked or unlocked.

We don't yet know how many different radio configurations Apple will make. So we don't know yet whether any of the iPhones to be sold in the U.S. will be world compatible.

It may be worth your while to go to a corporate Verizon store now and and what options are available to you today since your phone was stolen. If possible, I would do the same thing at an Apple retail store if you have access to one.

If you know what the policy is today when supplies are not limited, you will be in a better position to negotiate when the new phone is released.

If you can't get to either an Apple Retail and/or a Verizon corporate store, you can always call their customer service number or even better do a live chat session where you can save a copy of the transcript.

If you go to a store or call, make sure you write down the name of the person you spoke with as well as the date and time.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I don't think you can during launch week. You can only buy it full retail if you don't qualify for any sort of upgrade from your carrier.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
In the past, you were able to purchase the phone at full unsubsidized price, although the phone was still technically "locked". I say "locked" because once you brought the phone home and plugged it into iTunes, the user would immediately receive the "congratulations, your phone has been unlocked" message. In essence, you could get an unlocked phone if you paid full price for it on launch day. The official unlocked devices didn't go on sale until more than a month later.

With all that said, no one knows what will happen with this release.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
So much confusion and misunderstanding. All you need is an existing account with At&t, Verizon, etc. You can then order your new phone as a device only upgrade. You can do this online, at the Apple store, it doesn't matter. It's a full price upgrade whether or not you qualify for a discount from your carrier. I did it last year no problem. And yes the phone will be fully unlocked.

As far as walking in off the street with no account and wanting a new phone only that may take a month or two until Apple decides to allow that.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
So much confusion and misunderstanding. All you need is an existing account with At&t, Verizon, etc. You can then order your new phone as a device only upgrade. You can do this online, at the Apple store, it doesn't matter. It's a full price upgrade whether or not you qualify for a discount from your carrier. I did it last year no problem. And yes the phone will be fully unlocked.

As far as walking in off the street with no account and wanting a new phone only that may take a month or two until Apple decides to allow that.

Correct. As long as you have a carrier account, you can decide to do a full upgrade. But I do remember that Apple stores couldn't do this because the system would automatically come up as the cheapest upgrade. Maybe it was just my store.

No carrier account? No phone.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
I don't know for sure if the full price phones are unlocked for sure or not, but i'm pretty sure you can buy those day one. Unlocked phones generally show up for purchase about a month later going off past history.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
Who was your carrier? GSM iPhone 5s weren't available as factory unlocked until November lady year.

i bought AT&T and its factory unlocked. still using it :)

i reserved it via my carrier. went to pick up and asked them i dont need any phone line with it. i want to buy at full price. all they did was credit back my money charged from cc and then charged 692$ for my iphone at full price.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Interesting. So if I had a Att prepaid account I won't be able to buy the phone (full price) without a contract?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.