Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is asking its supply chain to increase production of gold iPhone 5s models by one-third amid strong launch-day demand, reports The Wall Street Journal.
Apple Inc. has asked its suppliers to increase production of the gold-colored iPhone 5S by an additional one-third after seeing strong demand, people familiar with the situation said. It isn't clear whether there are currently supply constraints manufacturing the new iPhone.

An Apple spokeswoman declined to comment.
gold_iphone_5s_october.jpg
All iPhone 5s models have been seeing lengthy shipping estimates at or soon after the start of online orders, but gold models have been in the shortest supply, with the U.S. online store seeing shipping estimates rapidly slip to "October".

In-store supplies of gold models have also been limited, with some carrier partners and third-party retailers having no supply of gold models. Even Apple's own stores are in many cases reportedly very short on gold models.

Article Link: Apple Boosting Gold iPhone 5s Production Amid Strong Demand

juanmanas

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
I was one of those who thought the gold version would fail....

Apple keeps proving me wrong

jimmc

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2008
Misleading Order

I placed an order immediately after the Apple Store went live at midnight. The site said "Delivery 1-3 Business Days" when I ordered, and said that in the sidebar as I completed the order.

When the order was completed, the receipt says "Delivery 7-10 Business Days". I'm really annoyed that they're pulling this kind of nonsense. I wanted the phone for a business trip overseas (I ordered the unlocked version) and now I've been screwed by them..

Steve wouldn't let this happen. . .

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
How does WSJ know what Apple is doing?

Because they are in bed with Apple and have been for years. If you look back you'll notice all the big "news" about Apple is reported by "All Things Digital" IE: The Wall Street Journal, via that old grey beard Walt Mossberg. He was groomed by Steve Jobs to write glowing reports on all things Apple.

What a brilliant strategy on Jobs part. Convince the NY Times, a very influential newspaper to promote Apple products. The irony is what other old grey beard senior in the twilight of life are experts on modern day technology? This guy was just another reporter until Jobs anointed him with Apples magic wand :)

iTeachMath

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
Massachusetts
I placed an order immediately after the Apple Store went live at midnight. The site said "Delivery 1-3 Business Days" when I ordered, and said that in the sidebar as I completed the order.

When the order was completed, the receipt says "Delivery 7-10 Business Days". I'm really annoyed that they're pulling this kind of nonsense. I wanted the phone for a business trip overseas (I ordered the unlocked version) and now I've been screwed by them..

I had the same thing happen to me. I added the phone (AT&T 32gb gold) to my cart within minutes of the store going live.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii

When the order was completed, the receipt says "Delivery 7-10 Business Days". I'm really annoyed that they're pulling this kind of nonsense.

My order started out at 1-3 days also. I "speed clicked" through, hit submit and... same thing, receipt says 7-10 Business Days.

GSM Gold 64GB model must have sold out in less than 5 minutes.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
I was one of those who thought the gold version would fail....

Apple keeps proving me wrong

Nah, you just miscalculated the amount of Chavs that own iPhones.

In all seriousness, Apple don't discuss their stock levels so chances are that it's more a case of providing too few phones in the first place.

There's an article on the BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24160158) mentioning that UK suppliers are in short supply from the off. What's worse is that they don't want to be identified further "over worries they could be further disadvantaged when supplies were replenished"

Last edited:

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
I thought this might happen. My Apple rep phoned this morning and told me that the Gold models had slipped to October and did I want to change my mind...But I'm waiting it out.

Had "slipped" LOL that's a good one.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
uhm, maybe they should have done that boost a couple of months ago. Seems the constraints are ridiculous this time around - and apple all ready knew the phone wouldn´t be available in most countries at launch. I´m really disappointed by this.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
I had the same thing happen to me. I added the phone (AT&T 32gb gold) to my cart within minutes of the store going live.

A technique as old as the hills, tell you one thing to get your order, then revise it at the end of the process. Apples such a class act :)

----------

Apple could make an iPhone in **** brown and the masses would still drool
They could also charge a premium price as well.

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012

i say we put steve on a plinth as he was the conquerer of realms..

FFS man you mean steve wouldnt have allowed your iphone being delayed ? im guessing your last name is jobs..

anywho i am not surprised the Gold iphone is so popular ..what better way to show it is the latest ?

MortarionX

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
Wouldn't buy the gold model myself, a little too much bling for me. Among people who have a lot of gold hardware in their accessories this can make a nice addition though. And of course among people who wants to show off having the latest iPhone.

I will go for the space grey variant once 5s is released in Sweden.:cool:

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
The irony is what other old grey beard senior in the twilight of life are experts on modern day technology?

There are plenty of gray beards that have a firm knowledge of current tech... probably because they have been covering/using current tech since the time when you were still bouncing from left nut to right nut and just a gleam in your daddy's eye.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Part of me is surprised at the demand for the gold iPhone but part of me isn't. I wonder what the gender breakdown for purchasers of the gold iPhone is. My hunch is it's being bought in much greater numbers by women but I could be wrong on that too :confused:

scrap104

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2010
UTC−05:00
Just like the white iPhone 4, white iPad 2, black MacBook, and black clickwheel iPods, something new and different from previous models.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
I thought the gold looked great. Looks like lots of people agree.

What Girl, Woman, Grandmother doesn't like Gold? This is no surprise!

Apples no dummy, they know by keeping supplies low they can create the fear "OMG I may not get one" that's worked for decades in retailing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.