Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:26 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Boosting Gold iPhone 5s Production Amid Strong Demand

Apple is asking its supply chain to increase production of gold iPhone 5s models by one-third amid strong launch-day demand, reports The Wall Street Journal.
Quote:
Apple Inc. has asked its suppliers to increase production of the gold-colored iPhone 5S by an additional one-third after seeing strong demand, people familiar with the situation said. It isn't clear whether there are currently supply constraints manufacturing the new iPhone.

An Apple spokeswoman declined to comment.
All iPhone 5s models have been seeing lengthy shipping estimates at or soon after the start of online orders, but gold models have been in the shortest supply, with the U.S. online store seeing shipping estimates rapidly slip to "October".

In-store supplies of gold models have also been limited, with some carrier partners and third-party retailers having no supply of gold models. Even Apple's own stores are in many cases reportedly very short on gold models.

Article Link: Apple Boosting Gold iPhone 5s Production Amid Strong Demand
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:27 AM   #2
juanmanas
macrumors 6502

I was one of those who thought the gold version would fail....

Apple keeps proving me wrong
juanmanas is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:28 AM   #3
SamIchi
macrumors 68030

How does WSJ know what Apple is doing?
SamIchi is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:28 AM   #4
seniorchang
macrumors member

it would be great if once again iphone sales numbers prove all skeptics wrong.
seniorchang is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:29 AM   #5
MellowFuzz
macrumors regular

I thought the gold looked great. Looks like lots of people agree.
MellowFuzz is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:30 AM   #6
juanmanas
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIchi View Post
Wsj has been apple's public speaker for some time now
juanmanas is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:31 AM   #7
Macman45
macrumors G5

I thought this might happen. My Apple rep phoned this morning and told me that the Gold models had slipped to October and did I want to change my mind...But I'm waiting it out.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:32 AM   #8
jimmc
macrumors newbie

Misleading Order

I placed an order immediately after the Apple Store went live at midnight. The site said "Delivery 1-3 Business Days" when I ordered, and said that in the sidebar as I completed the order.

When the order was completed, the receipt says "Delivery 7-10 Business Days". I'm really annoyed that they're pulling this kind of nonsense. I wanted the phone for a business trip overseas (I ordered the unlocked version) and now I've been screwed by them..

Steve wouldn't let this happen. . .
jimmc is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:38 AM   #9
Spacial
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Because they are in bed with Apple and have been for years. If you look back you'll notice all the big "news" about Apple is reported by "All Things Digital" IE: The Wall Street Journal, via that old grey beard Walt Mossberg. He was groomed by Steve Jobs to write glowing reports on all things Apple.

What a brilliant strategy on Jobs part. Convince the NY Times, a very influential newspaper to promote Apple products. The irony is what other old grey beard senior in the twilight of life are experts on modern day technology? This guy was just another reporter until Jobs anointed him with Apples magic wand
Spacial is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:38 AM   #10
iTeachMath
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmc View Post
I placed an order immediately after the Apple Store went live at midnight. The site said "Delivery 1-3 Business Days" when I ordered, and said that in the sidebar as I completed the order.

When the order was completed, the receipt says "Delivery 7-10 Business Days". I'm really annoyed that they're pulling this kind of nonsense. I wanted the phone for a business trip overseas (I ordered the unlocked version) and now I've been screwed by them..

I had the same thing happen to me. I added the phone (AT&T 32gb gold) to my cart within minutes of the store going live.
iTeachMath is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:39 AM   #11
Don Kosak
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

When the order was completed, the receipt says "Delivery 7-10 Business Days". I'm really annoyed that they're pulling this kind of nonsense.
My order started out at 1-3 days also. I "speed clicked" through, hit submit and... same thing, receipt says 7-10 Business Days.

GSM Gold 64GB model must have sold out in less than 5 minutes.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:40 AM   #12
BillyBobBongo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanmanas View Post

Nah, you just miscalculated the amount of Chavs that own iPhones.

In all seriousness, Apple don't discuss their stock levels so chances are that it's more a case of providing too few phones in the first place.

There's an article on the BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24160158) mentioning that UK suppliers are in short supply from the off. What's worse is that they don't want to be identified further "over worries they could be further disadvantaged when supplies were replenished"

Last edited by BillyBobBongo; Sep 20, 2013 at 04:55 AM. Reason: added link
BillyBobBongo is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:41 AM   #13
Spacial
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
I thought this might happen. My Apple rep phoned this morning and told me that the Gold models had slipped to October and did I want to change my mind...But I'm waiting it out.
Had "slipped" LOL that's a good one.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:41 AM   #14
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Nice to see it doing better than expected by the internet.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:42 AM   #15
iMcLovin
macrumors 65816

uhm, maybe they should have done that boost a couple of months ago. Seems the constraints are ridiculous this time around - and apple all ready knew the phone wouldn´t be available in most countries at launch. I´m really disappointed by this.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:43 AM   #16
iapplelove
Banned

Apple could make an iPhone in **** brown and the masses would still drool
iapplelove is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:44 AM   #17
Spacial
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTeachMath View Post
I had the same thing happen to me. I added the phone (AT&T 32gb gold) to my cart within minutes of the store going live.
A technique as old as the hills, tell you one thing to get your order, then revise it at the end of the process. Apples such a class act

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iapplelove View Post
Apple could make an iPhone in **** brown and the masses would still drool
They could also charge a premium price as well.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:44 AM   #18
Ventilatedbrain
macrumors regular

Quote:

i say we put steve on a plinth as he was the conquerer of realms..

FFS man you mean steve wouldnt have allowed your iphone being delayed ? im guessing your last name is jobs..

anywho i am not surprised the Gold iphone is so popular ..what better way to show it is the latest ?
Ventilatedbrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:45 AM   #19
Spacial
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanmanas View Post

Only if you say so...
Spacial is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:46 AM   #20
MortarionX
macrumors newbie

Wouldn't buy the gold model myself, a little too much bling for me. Among people who have a lot of gold hardware in their accessories this can make a nice addition though. And of course among people who wants to show off having the latest iPhone.

I will go for the space grey variant once 5s is released in Sweden.
MortarionX is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:47 AM   #21
xdhd350
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacial View Post
The irony is what other old grey beard senior in the twilight of life are experts on modern day technology?
There are plenty of gray beards that have a firm knowledge of current tech... probably because they have been covering/using current tech since the time when you were still bouncing from left nut to right nut and just a gleam in your daddy's eye.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:49 AM   #22
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Part of me is surprised at the demand for the gold iPhone but part of me isn't. I wonder what the gender breakdown for purchasers of the gold iPhone is. My hunch is it's being bought in much greater numbers by women but I could be wrong on that too
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:50 AM   #23
scrap104
macrumors member

Just like the white iPhone 4, white iPad 2, black MacBook, and black clickwheel iPods, something new and different from previous models.
scrap104 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:52 AM   #24
Spacial
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowFuzz View Post
I thought the gold looked great. Looks like lots of people agree.
What Girl, Woman, Grandmother doesn't like Gold? This is no surprise!

Apples no dummy, they know by keeping supplies low they can create the fear "OMG I may not get one" that's worked for decades in retailing.
Spacial is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:52 AM   #25
Bibbler
macrumors regular

Quote:
I suspect that with Mossberg and Swisher leaving, the quality of WSJ's Apple reporting is going to take drastic turn downward.
Bibbler is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion