Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
When they advertised the fingerprint scanner, I thought the button was capacitive in the sense that I could just touch the button and hold my finger on it to unlock all in one action, when in fact I have to click the home (or sleep button), and then scan my fingerprint.

Seems a redundant action when it's a touch sensor could just hold\wake\unlock all in one soft touch.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
While mine's being shipped, the one I tested at work only required putting your finger/thumb on it. There was no clicking involved.

Ryan Burgess

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2013
When they advertised the fingerprint scanner, I thought the button was capacitive in the sense that I could just touch the button and hold my finger on it to unlock all in one action, when in fact I have to click the home (or sleep button), and then scan my fingerprint.

Seems a redundant action when it's a touch sensor could just hold\wake\unlock all in one soft touch.

I just click the home button but leave my thumb on the sensor for an extra half second, this is enough time to unlock, and it's all one motion.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA

Dear god, how long have you been using an iPhone? when using the the fingerprint scanner, just use the Home button itself to activate the display, why use the sleep/wake button when your finger is going to be on the home button anyway?

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
While mine's being shipped, the one I tested at work only required putting your finger/thumb on it. There was no clicking involved.

Clicking is definitely involved.

Oh boy lol :rolleyes: Can some other people who actually have the device with them offer some more imput?

Here's how I understood it to work:
1) Screen is off
2) Rest finger on home button (don't push it)
3) Screen comes on and phone unlocks

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
you have to push the home button then rest your finger on it, i was disappointed in that too. but its really not an inconvenience

MetaKn1ght

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008
Oh boy lol :rolleyes: Can some other people who actually have the device with them offer some more imput?

1) Screen is off

Incorrect. You actually have to press the home button to turn on the display as mentioned above. Then you hold your finger there for a moment and it unlocks. Yes I have the device and have been using it all day.

Factor1

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010

1) Screen is off

That is correct. You do have to click the home button (to "wake" it, I guess). Then the scanner will scan.

Like someone said earlier, if you click and then leave your finger there just a half-second longer, it all happens in one motion.

mizelly41

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Illinois
I thought the metal ring around the button was supposed to sense your finger/thumb and activate the fingerprint sensor. No button pushing involved.

That is the way I understood it from the keynote. I haven't used one yet.

Velin

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Click then fingerprint read. I have a gold 16 gig 5s. This is the way it should be, with any phone you have to click something to wake it. iPhone 5s security is the best, love it.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011

1) Screen is off

Not sure why you're so persistent if you don't have it.

My experience is you have to wake the device before using thumbprint.

To me this seems silly, because they made it seem like the button was capacitive, but I guess it makes sense that you'd have to wake the device with a home push or power button push or the scanner would always be scanning and kill battery.

Still with it was just as easy as thumb-rest and it unlocked, lol. Clearly it's possible as Samsung phones have capacitive buttons that wake... wait, actually, come to think of it, the capacitive buttons on a GS3 and 4 are dependent on the device first being waken... so I guess the fingerprint scanner thing makes a bit more sense now.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
The phone is locked, it's designed that way so you don't accidentally unlock it just by lightly touching the home buttton. :)

Brenz

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
Yes you have to press the home button to wake the iPhone and just leave your finger resting there to unlock with Touch ID.

Eallan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
Dear god, how long have you been using an iPhone? when using the the fingerprint scanner, just use the Home button itself to activate the display, why use the sleep/wake button when your finger is going to be on the home button anyway?

I find myself using sleep wake to wake it a lot because I'm used to android and my main phone (htc one or Moto x)

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I apologize if I'm wrong. The one I tested seemed to just wake up when I put my thumb on it. Sorry again, I only got a few seconds with it.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Not sure why you're so persistent if you don't have it.

Because I'm interested? I simply said how I understood it to work, but clearly I was wrong, that's fine with me. Actually makes sense because I was concerned that the screen would constantly be turned on in my pocket.

So then what is the metal ring for? Is that some part that the scanner needs to work?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

It IS all one touch. Push and click once, but leave the thumb on the sensor. Not sure why this is an issue.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Because I'm interested? I simply said how I understood it to work, but clearly I was wrong, that's fine with me. Actually makes sense because I was concerned that the screen would constantly be turned on in my pocket.

So then what is the metal ring for? Is that some part that the scanner needs to work?

The metal ring is to detect your finger when it's over the home button/sensor.... you already know that why did you ask?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
That is the way to design it. Otherwise the phone would be twitchy if it came across any skin contact. There has to be a purposeful unmistakable activation signal and thats pushing the home button to wake the device.

jll62

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
As others have mentioned, use a finger to push the home button and let it come back up, but keep your finger touching the button. (don't hold the button in or else you'll activate Siri) As long as you keep touching the button, your print will be read and you'll get in.

It's so slick. I often get in before the lock screen has even had a chance to fully fade in.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010

1) Screen is off

Nope,

1. Screen is off
2. Press home(or power), leaving finger on home button
3. Unlocks(rather fast I might add)

Ryan Burgess

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2013

What it is is this:

When the device is locked, you have to push the home button then in reads your finger. This is because they don't want the screen turning on it your pocket.

But on the App Store or iTunes Store, you DONT have to click it, you just rest you finger on it.

So if the devices screen is already on, you don't have to click. If the screen is off, you have to click first, to wake it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.