Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Apple over the years has added more and more functions to the home button, it can be easy to lose track sometimes.

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
That's not a natural motion, but okay.

It can't be any less natural than pushing the home button, swiping the screen, typing in your password, etc like it used to be.

I just push the button and keep my finger on there for a half a second longer and boom, I'm in. It does feel natural and fluid.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
But with a pass code you could select a 5 minute timeout which makes sense. If I open my phone and then close it I literally have to rescan again. Makes no sense. Hopefully they let the user choose this. That's my biggest issue.

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
I have the 5s in my hand right now

You must unlock the screen, either by clicking the home button or sleep/wake button, then put your finger on the print

Yes, I also find this extremely inconvenient and annoying

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
Wow... Some people on this forum are real *******s. He was asking because he simply wanted to know out of curiosity. Why is it a crime to not know something?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I have the 5s in my hand right now

You must unlock the screen, either by clicking the home button or sleep/wake button, then put your finger on the print

Yes, I also find this extremely inconvenient and annoying

You guys are hilarious. Seriously, READ the thread. It's barely ANY different than with any iPhone. Just click the button once, KEEP your thumb on the sensor, and your phone is unlocked. How exactly is this inconvenient?

Can someone lock this thread already?

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
WilliamG said:
It IS all one touch. Push and click once, but leave the thumb on the sensor. Not sure why this is an issue.

I just tested 3 ways, it did not work

1) Held down, siri popped up (X)
2) Turned siri off, held down, voice control came on (X)
3) Let go of home button right before siri was about to come on, nothing happened (X)

----------

You guys are hilarious. Seriously, READ the thread. It's barely ANY different than with any iPhone. Just click the button once, KEEP your thumb on the sensor, and your phone is unlocked. How exactly is this inconvenient?

Can someone lock this thread already?

That does NOT work. I just tested this, read my post above ^

EDIT: I have the 5s in my hand right now, holding down the home button does NOT unlock the phone

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

3) Let go of home button right before siri was about to come on, nothing happened (X)

OK. Listen.

1.) Physically CLICK button ONCE, resting your thumb/finger on the sensor the entire time.

That's it.

Your issue is that you're holding the clicking part in. Don't do that. Click ONCE, and rest your thumb on button (without it pressed in). It's one motion. I seriously don't see the issue.

----------

----------

That does NOT work. I just tested this, read my post above ^

EDIT: I have the 5s in my hand right now, holding down the home button does NOT unlock the phone

It does work. I have two iPhone 5s. You press the button (click ONCE), and continue to rest your finger/thumb on the sensor, and boom - phone unlocked. IT DOES WORK!

If you HOLD the clicking part in, you'll just bring up Siri. So make sure you're only clicking ONCE, but not HOLDING the clicking part in - just resting your finger/thumb on the sensor. Lord, please someone make a video so this thread can die, lol. :D

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
OK. Listen.

1.) Physically CLICK button ONCE, resting your thumb/finger on the sensor the entire time.

That's it.

Your issue is that you're holding the clicking part in. Don't do that. Click ONCE, and rest your thumb on button (without it pressed in). It's one motion. I seriously don't see the issue.

----------

It does work. I have two iPhone 5s. You press the button (click ONCE), and continue to rest your finger/thumb on the sensor, and boom - phone unlocked. IT DOES WORK!

Are you sure? I'm trying it all the ways you are saying it, and it does not work...

mizelly41

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Illinois
So obviously I don't have an iPhone 5S in my hands to try it myself, but the video by Apple sure does lead me to believe that you do not have to push the button. Just touch it with your finger, the steel ring senses your finger, and then analyzes it.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/videos/#video-touch

Watch this video. At about 1:35, is when it talks about the steel ring.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Just press and release the home button (don't hold it down).

When the screen lights up, just continue gently resting your thumb (or finger) on the home button.

If you press and hold in the button, you'll be activating Siri, etc.

S

syd430

Just another thread were some OP thinks they're usability expert without spending more than 30 seconds to think it through.

The 2 step process is to reduce accidental unlocks. You know, similar to how we have been swiping to unlock for the last 7 years.

Are you going to start another thread tomorrow explaining why Apple is so stupid to implement swipe to unlock since iOS 1.0 when you, the usability expert, figured out that the steps can be cut down by simply clicking the home button once.

C'mon, my 5 year old brother could of probably told you this.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
So obviously I don't have an iPhone 5S in my hands to try it myself, but the video by Apple sure does lead me to believe that you do not have to push the button. Just touch it with your finger, the steel ring senses your finger, and then analyzes it.

I think it can probably read your finger without having to push the button. For example, if you're in the App Store and buy something, you can press your finger against the ring without pressing the button.

But if your iPhone is asleep, you need to wake it up first. Push the home button, or push the power button.

mizelly41

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Illinois
I think it can probably read your finger without having to push the button. For example, if you're in the App Store and buy something, you can press your finger against the ring without pressing the button.

But if your iPhone is asleep, you need to wake it up first. Push the home button, or push the power button.

That makes sense.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007

Exactly. Around the 0:54-0:56 mark, it's hard to tell that the person is actually clicking the button, he appears to just rest his finger on it. I think that led to a lot of the confusion, and obviously the confusion was amongst people (like myself) who don't yet have the phone. But obviously we default to the people who actually own it, and we now know how it works so OP you have your answer. Slightly misleading video, but I'm happy it works the way it does because as many have said, you'd have the screen turning on constantly every time it touched your leg through your pocket.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I was disappointed by this as well when I got my phone this am. Not enough to where it's an issue, but I expected it to function without click

MetaKn1ght

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008
Well, this thread escalated quickly...

On topic, I fail to see how there's any significant difference between touching the home button to unlock the phone and clicking the button (followed by a VERY short hold) to unlock the phone. Not that people aren't entitled to their opinions, but I'm just not seeing how one is good and the other is annoying and inconvenient. The difference between the two is the amount of effort it takes to quickly click the home button while your finger is already touching it anyway. That is, extremely little.

S

syd430

I think it can probably read your finger without having to push the button.

Not probably, It can.

----------

OK. Listen.

That's it.

That activates Siri or voice control if Siri is disabled (like on mine). Maybe actually get your hands on one before guessing?

Edit: Ok read you're post again. In that case I don't know what you're talking about. That's just how you're supposed to do it. Who said they're doing it differently?

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
Not sure why you're so persistent if you don't have it.

My experience is you have to wake the device before using thumbprint.

To me this seems silly, because they made it seem like the button was capacitive, but I guess it makes sense that you'd have to wake the device with a home push or power button push or the scanner would always be scanning and kill battery.

Still with it was just as easy as thumb-rest and it unlocked, lol. Clearly it's possible as Samsung phones have capacitive buttons that wake... wait, actually, come to think of it, the capacitive buttons on a GS3 and 4 are dependent on the device first being waken... so I guess the fingerprint scanner thing makes a bit more sense now.

Great job!

For a second I thought this was too complex for you. Glad to see you improved from your original post! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.