Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Well, this thread escalated quickly...

On topic, I fail to see how there's any significant difference between touching the home button to unlock the phone and clicking the button (followed by a VERY short hold) to unlock the phone. Not that people aren't entitled to their opinions, but I'm just not seeing how one is good and the other is annoying and inconvenient. The difference between the two is the amount of effort it takes to quickly click the home button while your finger is already touching it anyway. That is, extremely little.

I actually agree with you now.

VERY short hold is the way to go. With that it's basically like you do a short click to unlock.

It's all about cutting down in actions to me

mark_wilkins

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2003
One thing that initially caused me a little difficulty was that I'd trained the sensor with my right thumb oriented perfectly vertically, holding the phone in my left hand, and it would not recognize my fingerprint when holding the phone in my right hand and reaching over with my thumb.

Retraining it while holding the phone as I would normally use it eliminated this issue.

IndoX

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
To physically unlock any iPhone prior to the 5s you have to press either the lock button of the home button than swipe. Clicking on the home button woo now become the new pressing on the lock button to turn on the phone. The difference is it's MUCH faster.

So to the people who say it's an inconvenience are hilarious. You're doing the exact same thing as before but it's way faster. How is that in convenient?

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
To physically unlock any iPhone prior to the 5s you have to press either the lock button of the home button than swipe. Clicking on the home button woo now become the new pressing on the lock button to turn on the phone. The difference is it's MUCH faster.

So to the people who say it's an inconvenience are hilarious. You're doing the exact same thing as before but it's way faster. How is that in convenient?

Lol!

The first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the thread title was. . .

First World Problems

socco

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2008

My response to that would be that I can move my thumb off the home button and swipe the screen faster than the time it takes for the touch id to identify my thumb print.

The 2 step process is to reduce accidental unlocks. You know, similar to how we have been swiping to unlock for the last 7 years.

I don't think the accidental unlock is an issue any more. It requires a fingerprint, you're not gonna unlock it by accident. There shouldn't be a need to click the button to wake it first.

So obviously I don't have an iPhone 5S in my hands to try it myself, but the video by Apple sure does lead me to believe that you do not have to push the button. Just touch it with your finger, the steel ring senses your finger, and then analyzes it.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/videos/#video-touch

Watch this video. At about 1:35, is when it talks about the steel ring.

Yeah, that is how they marketed it. The ring was supposed to sense your finger. However that is NOT how it actually works. You can have your finger on the button all day and it won't react to it. You need to physically click the home or power button to turn the screen on before it will recognize your finger print.

MetaKn1ght

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008
Lol!

The first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the thread title was. . .

First World Problems

Yeah, same here. I'm still confused by those who think it's somehow inconvenient that you have to actually click the home button vs just touching it. Maybe I'm missing something? :confused: It's pretty much the exact same amount of time and effort. By touching the home button you've already done almost all of the work required to click the home button. ;):)

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
Did you even set up the finger print sensor lol? My coworker had hers today and it worked great. Press once to wake the phone, rest finger to scan and open.

... Obviously ... We aren't talking about that. We're talking about being able to hold down the home button to wake up AND unlock your phone with 1 click

IndoX

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
My response to that would be that I can move my thumb off the home button and swipe the screen faster than the time it takes for the touch id to identify my thumb print.
And my response to that is that touch id is faster than swiping and entering a password. If you don't have a passcode on the phone you can't use touch id. Your point is moot.

I don't understand what the problem is. To unlock your phone previously you need to wake it. Are you really expressing discontent over the fact that now you have to do the same thing but it's a much faster process?

Wake (either tap home or lock button) > Swipe > Enter Password > Phone unlocked
Wake (tap home button and let your finger rest) > Phone unlocked

I'm not understanding here... lol.

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
And my response to that is that touch id is faster than swiping and entering a password. If you don't have a passcode on the phone you can't use touch id. Your point is moot.

I don't understand what the problem is. To unlock your phone previously you need to wake it. Are you really expressing discontent over the fact that now you have to do the same thing but it's a much faster process?

Wake (either tap home or lock button) > Swipe > Enter Password > Phone unlocked
Wake (tap home button and let your finger rest) > Phone unlocked

I'm not understanding here... lol.

The point is, we should be able to just press our finger up to the sensor and it should unlock our phones. Without having to click the home button or lock button.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I just click the home button but leave my thumb on the sensor for an extra half second, this is enough time to unlock, and it's all one motion.

Yes, I'm doing that and it's super fast, and only took a little while to get used to.

----------

The point is, we should be able to just press our finger up to the sensor and it should unlock our phones. Without having to click the home button or lock button.

How would that work? If you don't press anything how would it know to read anything?

IndoX

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
The point is, having that enabled would unlock my phone everytime I may have it in my hand without wanting to necessary unlock it. This prevents accidental unlocks and I see it more as a benefit rather than an issue.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
What if you just wanna press the home button to see your lock screen or to launch control/notification centre? You wouldn't be able to do that..

Stupid complaint is stupid. Moving along

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I have the 5s in my hand right now

You must unlock the screen, either by clicking the home button or sleep/wake button, then put your finger on the print

Yes, I also find this extremely inconvenient and annoying

No, you don't. Wake the phone by clicking the home button and just don't lift your finger until it unlocks (about a second). Not hard.

BlueKhufu

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010

Capacitive touch screens/buttons will work through cloth. I've put my phone in a pocket without turning it off and accidentally called people, sent text messages of random characters, etc. The touchID will fault out after I believe five failed attempts to scan your finger, requiring your passcode. If the button were always looking every time the ring sensed a touch it would likely reach those five "bad reads" quickly under certain circumstances. In my opinion that would be significantly more aggravating than having to depress a button a fraction of a millimeter.
"So why have the ring at all?!" Because it will work as you expect when the phone is already on and you use it to make an iTunes purchase (or whatever future use apple allows). In that scenario if you had to depress the button to wake the touchID sensor the phone wouldn't know if your intention was to drop back to the home screen or input your print.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
This is seriously the most ridiculous First World Problem type of thread I've seen on these forums, and there are a lot. How lazy have we become where having to click a button before it rapidly scans your fingerprint for near instant access to a high powered computer with broadband Internet access that fits in your pocket is disappointing, inconvenient and annoying? Seriously? You actually have to press a button? Oh Noez!

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I don't know if somebody mentioned it, but it is really easy to use Touch ID without first waiting for the wake animations..or even wait to see the lock screen.

Just press the home button once and keep your finger on the button. Don't let your finger away from the home button after pressing it!
The only thing you see is the home screen! No lock screen at all.
It is very fast and accurate.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

I'm sure your vast knowledge of all the ins and outs of making this happen are far superior to that of a team of Apple engineers. Where did you obtain your engineering degree?

polygoo

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2011
I feel like apple did this on purpose due to how notifications work on the lock screen. If you only had to tap and not click it would bypass lock screen making the notifications useless. Having both allows you to wake phone to check for notifications or time. It really works great and just takes a day to get used to at most.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
Wow... Some people on this forum are real *******s. He was asking because he simply wanted to know out of curiosity. Why is it a crime to not know something?
I agree.

Also, with this cleared up he might want to get a feel for what it might be like to unlock a 5s by getting into the habit of leaving his finger on his current iPhone home button for just an extra half second or so after waking it up. That way if/when he gets a 5s it should feel completely natural. That's actually what I'm trying to remember to do with my iPhone 4 at the moment and it really doesn't seem like a big deal for me given that I always wake my phone via the home button rather than the top power button. I'm also trying to notice what fingers I tend to use other than my right thumb to wake the device so that I can set all the prints that I want straight away.

JFC

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Pro Tip

In the past, when the phone is asleep and you want to wake it, you have to it the power or home button and then swipe (plus pass code if you had one).

Now with touch ID, you click the home button and pause for scanner to read your print. You can also hit the power button then rest your finger on the home button.

But where I have found touch ID to be the best is when I receive a new text or e-mail notification. When the notification first pops up, if you just rest your finger on the home button, without clicking, it will unlock and go right to the message.

I have not tested it, but I think the same thing will happen with any type of notification.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
you have to push the home button then rest your finger on it, i was disappointed in that too. but its really not an inconvenience

This is nothing new. iPhones have always force you to push the home button to get to the lock screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.