Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
Somehow I don't see this as a legit photo. This makes zero sense. If you place it on a flat surface, it'll have tendency to rock back and forth and be impossible to touch the screen properly. It won't fit in a pocket very nicely. Trying to put a screen protector on that would be an exercise in futility! (Can you imagine trying to squeegy that!)

Sorry, but I can't see this as real. On the flip side, why the hell didn't they use this for their watch! Make the screen 2" wide and 1.5" high that curves around the wrist. Similar to those fake images we have seen of that clear iWatch.

Sorry Samsung, but you are losing my business.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
To think that I was waiting until the 11th to get my Note 3. Now, I can wait longer and get this! Oh wait....

What's the benefit? Seriously, I don't get it.:confused:

By sliding your either your palm or the side of your hand, can you do a screen capture?

A wallet case will be weird.

If you put it in your front pocket, won't there be a bulge?

Last edited:

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Good thing about Samsung they can just make whatever and if it doesnt sell then no big deal..next product! Sometimes they make good, other times not.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
And a few fuss about Apple iPhone staying the same for a while lol isn't this an S4? just like the Note 3 is an over sized S4 Just like the Samsung Mega etc...

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Somehow I don't see this as a legit photo. This makes zero sense. If you place it on a flat surface, it'll have tendency to rock back and forth and be impossible to touch the screen properly. It won't fit in a pocket very nicely. Trying to put a screen protector on that would be an exercise in futility! (Can you imagine trying to squeegy that!)

Sorry, but I can't see this as real. On the flip side, why the hell didn't they use this for their watch! Make the screen 2" wide and 1.5" high that curves around the wrist. Similar to those fake images we have seen of that clear iWatch.

The watch idea makes sense.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
If you put it in your front pockets, in theory the curvature will make having a large screen less awkward.

You really shouldn't stick a smartphone in a back pocket.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010

Did you watch the video?

I like how you're put off Samsung over one device that you do not like. :rolleyes:

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013
"The potential benefit of this screen technology isn't quite clear yet, but Samsung is touting a new feature called "Round Interaction," which allows you to look at information such as missed calls, battery life, and the date and time when you tilt it on a flat surface with the screen off."

Is this really a problem? Is it becoming too difficult for people to look down at their phone laying on a flat surface when something comes in or even *gasp* pick it up and look at it? I wonder if Samsung actually has an R&D dept, or if they just produce and release anything a member of the design team sketches out hoping it sticks :confused:

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Some people forgetting that it isn't even for our market. Different markets, different demand. Like Japanese, their 'keitai' needs to be a flip phone with focus on camera, we love smart phones and the Chinese love Dual Sim too .....

You don't like it - don't import it. :)

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
Did you watch the video?

I like how you're put off Samsung over one device that you do not like. :rolleyes:

It's not one device. Since the S3 (which I was one of the very first owners of) Samsung has moved away from what made the S3 so great. And I abhor Touchwiz. It was bad with the S3 and has become completely over bloated with crap. Samung is trying to shove their own crapware down everyone's throat (Kies is god awful as an iTunes clone). And for the record, my family has two S3's, a Note 2, and a Note 8. So, I am very familiar with Samsung products. And my opinion of a curved display like this one (regardless of manufacturer) stands. There are places for a curved panel, but a phone is not one of them.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

Dramatic, much? lol.

Look, I don't care for the device either, but it's not like they're going to stop producing their flagships like the Galaxy S series and the Note series and their tablets (which seem to be increasing in popularity -- the "Galaxy" branding is really paying off).

What does this one phone they put out do to you exactly? You're not forced to buy it. Heck, it's, so far, available only in Korea.

There is no harm done with Samsung experimenting. In many ways, this is a natural progression -- they went from curved OLED televisions (those are gorgeous, have you seen them?) to curve smartphones. I get it. Maybe this is purely a move to show the world they can do something like this. I don't know.

And they clearly can -- meaning, they have the tech to do so, but also the financial backing. What do we have to lose for them experimenting? Absolutely nothing. What other manufacturer is doing what Samsung (and to some extent, LG) is doing? Certainly not a certain fruit company...

I said this before:

onthecouchagain said:
Some see this as "throwing everything on the wall to see what sticks," but I see it as fearlessly testing, experimenting, and trying new (and sometimes exciting) things. Don't you think that it's amazing that even though not every one of their things are a hit, they have the resources to be able to spread themselves so wide for experimentation? Isn't that good for the consumers? We don't lose anything. We don't have to buy everything they "sling." But when they do get a hit, we benefit from it. Look at the Note series. How many people here -- myself included -- scoffed at the ridiculousness of a 5+ inch phone with the outdated stylus?

Samsung is actually GREAT for the industry. It needs someone like Samsung that'll dare to push things in multiple directions, even if they're ultimately wrong.

----------

Anyway, back to point... I wouldn't bother to get this phone personally, either.

Is the display the oft talked about flexible display? Meaning it's more shatter-proof? I feel like Samsung and LG are in a race to make this technology popular.

Sounds like their TV race. Go them. It's nice to see that despite clearly rising to the top spot as an Android OEM, Samsung isn't resting on their laurels.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Some people forgetting that it isn't even for our market. Different markets, different demand. Like Japanese, their 'keitai' needs to be a flip phone with focus on camera, we love smart phones and the Chinese love Dual Sim too .....

You don't like it - don't import it. :)

NO! Only the spoiled, sheltered American iPhone user opinion matters. And our opinions come directly from the all mighty Apple, so tall skinny phones to match our tall skinny jeans and tall skinny lattes are all that needs to be made. Besides thinking different is SO 90's

Seriously though I agree. Samsung does push concepts out that most companies would just leave on the design floor, but it's a Korea only phone so it may just be well received.

Me personally? Love the screen size of course and can see why it'd need to be curved; so it can fit against yoir body comfortably, but I'd need it to go flat again and have an S-Pen.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
One would think if it was screen face down with pressure applied to the back - it would crack down the middle?

Why do we need curved phones? :confused:

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
The curved screen will improve sun light visibility and Aldo make the screen harder to break when dropped.

A lot of you people complained about putting a huge phone in your skinny jeans and Samsung listened and this curve will curve to your leg and be a lot more comfortable having a 5.7in phone in your pocket

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
go home samsung... you're drunk

tim-cook.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.