Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
"Fits the hand better" is more to do with a curved back than a curved display.

True.

I just don't see the benefit of this particular test. I can see the benefits of flexible but not rigid curved devices.

Mildly disagree. I have a Nexus with the (vertically) curved glass front, and it feels nice under the thumb. It's a thoughtful design touch (no pun intended).

A rigid display that curved over the top would be handy to me, as I often have my phone in my shirt pocket. I could just glance down and see who's calling, or what a vibrating alert was about. Or you could pull it just enough out of a pants pocket. Of course, a second tiny LCD display would work, too.

Neither's a big deal, though.

With a flexible device: -

- you could have a device with a customisable screen size, and you just fold it out to whatever size suits for a given purpose.

Yes, I think I would actually line up for a fold out phone-tablet :)

Cheers!

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
If this leads to future devices with unbreakable screens, then this device would have done its service and Samsung would have done its part to improve the industry.

Hardly scientific, hardly a be all and end all of the future of flexible displays, but here...

The people have spoken: flexible screens are here to stay... probably: http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-...-screens-are-here-to-stay...-probably_id48196

Much like Samsung's S4 or Note III video demos, what phone or demo looks like this new phone? I didn't get the S4, I didn't get the Note III, and I'm not getting this curved phone, but I can respect that it's serving the industry to continue to push new things.

Give me a break.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yes, I think I would actually line up for a fold out phone-tablet :)

Cheers!

I would wait in line for a fold out phone. I will bet most of the people here would too no matter if they would admit it or not...............

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I would wait in line for a fold out phone. I will bet most of the people here would too no matter if they would admit it or not...............

THIS is what a flexible display is supposed to be. 7" tablet which folds up into a smaller phone. People talk about innovation and changes, I'll bet a fold up tablet/phone would be a HUGE market changer.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
TLDR has anyone made a good point for a curved display? Is Samsung just grandstanding here to get eyes on them?

lordromanov01

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
TLDR has anyone made a good point for a curved display? Is Samsung just grandstanding here to get eyes on them?

Wasn't one of the ideas behind it that the curved screens are stronger and more shatter-proof? As they are flexible.

If this is the case, they may start using the technology even in flat phones if it means they don't break all the time. I could be completely wrong here though.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Wasn't one of the ideas behind it that the curved screens are stronger and more shatter-proof? As they are flexible.

If this is the case, they may start using the technology even in flat phones if it means they don't break all the time. I could be completely wrong here though.

Yeah that's probably the case. But I mean the curved design itself, does it serve any useful purpose?

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Why doesn't Samsung focus on making their high end devices actually high end i.e stop using cheap plastic and hiring designers who aren't deliberately mandated to design the ugliest phone on the market.

I seriously do not know how people buy so many Samsung phones.

This curve phone is completely pointless. Unless the curve improves viewing the screen as is keeps the eye distance equi distant then it is a complete joke and quite frankly embarrassing. Samsung haven't even confirmed any benefits provided by the curved screen which is likely to mean there isn't any.

Samsung fix touchwiz, use premium materials and actually design your handset.

To the rest of you buying Samsung phones, open your bleeding eyes.

In this thread, people think their opinions are the only thing important and everyone should think like they do!

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
In this thread, people think their opinions are the only thing important and everyone should think like they do!

I'm just curious, as you took offense to someone else pretty much saying the curved glass was useless. In what way is this useful? I know it's more resistant, but that's because of the material, not because of the shape. This smacks of a phone which is highly design first, functionality last IMO.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I'm just curious, as you took offense to someone else pretty much saying the curved glass was useless. In what way is this useful? I know it's more resistant, but that's because of the material, not because of the shape. This smacks of a phone which is highly design first, functionality last IMO.

I took no offense to the glass being useless, I have no use for it or care about it. Seems gimmicky to me, speaking just for me.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

I agree on both counts, but MRU's point was that Samsung and any other company that decides to make a product outside of the status quo is only making the product for press releases and there's no genuine market or consumer interest for it, which is not only false, but almost downright ignorant.

Anyone with eyes can see that both Korean companies are a big thing to a majority of that part of the world, and that phones that are larger than 4" are also an "in" thing.

So anyone with eyes and ears could deduce that at some point, probably even before the Note became a big hit, Samsung did research into finding a good feel for a phone that almost reaches iPad mini size.

As others have said, curving the device makes it feel better in the hand and in the pocket, that would be even more the case with a phone the size or a Note 2 or LG G2.

Folks claiming that it's gimmicky should look a little deeper, instead of just rushing to use catch words like "gimmicky," "laggy," etc. to define what would otherwise be a lack of thoughtful decision making.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I agree on both counts, but MRU's point was that Samsung and any other company that decides to make a product outside of the status quo is only making the product for press releases and there's no genuine market or consumer interest for it, which is not only false, but almost downright ignorant.
That was NOT how i was making my point, that's how you interpreted it.

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
One would think if it was screen face down with pressure applied to the back - it would crack down the middle?

Why do we need curved phones? :confused:

I think Apple invented the curved phone.

Attachments

• iphone-5s-bent-2-600x325.jpg
    iphone-5s-bent-2-600x325.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 67

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011

Anyone with eyes can see that both Korean companies are a big thing to a majority of that part of the world, and that phones that are larger than 4" are also an "in" thing.

So anyone with eyes and ears could deduce that at some point, probably even before the Note became a big hit, Samsung did research into finding a good feel for a phone that almost reaches iPad mini size.

As others have said, curving the device makes it feel better in the hand and in the pocket, that would be even more the case with a phone the size or a Note 2 or LG G2.

Folks claiming that it's gimmicky should look a little deeper, instead of just rushing to use catch words like "gimmicky," "laggy," etc. to define what would otherwise be a lack of thoughtful decision making.

What if someone looks deeper...only to discover that it's a gimmick?

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Good thing about Samsung they can just make whatever and if it doesnt sell then no big deal..next product! Sometimes they make good, other times not.

Many on this Forum are too young to remember that this same marketing strategy worked quite well for Sony during the 80's and well into the 90's.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Why Samsung's Curved Smartphone Display Isn't Just Hype

http://gizmodo.com/why-samsungs-curved-smartphone-display-isnt-just-hype-1453993230

There is widespread misunderstanding regarding curved displays. They aren't simply a marketing gimmick as has been widely reported – we’ll show that curved screens substantially improve the display performance. In fact, curved screens are a major and very important new display technology innovation, particularly for handheld Smartphones.

Interesting article.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.