Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DannyDrama

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
And here are the main reasons why.

Customization: I miss it more than I thought, though not a deal breaker.

White: Every damn thing is white, I hate it.

Signal: Shockingly bad. This is THE reason for switching back. I borrowed an S4 for a couple days and never lost a call or failed to send a text once. On my iPhone I genuinely struggle to even get a signal at home. If I lay it on my mac it's an instant 'no service'. The S4 cares not what I choose to dump it on.

I may keep my iPhone for the sake of syncing my calendars and all that with my mac, but it's days of being my main phone are over. A great shame, as overall it's a great little device.

TL;DR: I love my iPhone but as a phone it is literally the worst I have owned in over 10 years' worth of devices.

Jinzen

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012

Signal: Shockingly bad. This is THE reason for switching back. I borrowed an S4 for a couple days and never lost a call or failed to send a text once. On my iPhone I genuinely struggle to even get a signal at home. If I lay it on my mac it's an instant 'no service'. The S4 cares not what I choose to dump it on.

I may keep my iPhone for the sake of syncing my calendars and all that with my mac, but it's days of being my main phone are over. A great shame, as overall it's a great little device.

TL;DR: I love my iPhone but as a phone it is literally the worst I have owned in over 10 years' worth of devices.

Syncing your iPhone to your Mac calendars? What is this, 10 years ago?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's the apple way, pretty locked down - shouldn't have been a huge surprise.

You know Apple does sell phones in other colors now, and its pretty easy to change things, by adding a case.

This is surprising, my iPhone 5 has a good signal, always has, no better no worse then my other Phones including android phones, perhaps you have a defective phone?

This is one big advantage of the iOS is the integration with apple services and products. True Google as similar services and products but you already use iTunes, calendar, address book, etc its more integrated on an iPhone

----------

Syncing your iPhone to your Mac calendars? What is this, 10 years ago?

What you don't sync your calenders to your phone?

DannyDrama

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
I meant the OS is too white. I have a black i5.

I'm just looking for excuses to keep it really. I love the thing but it's near useless to me.

And yes, same carrier, same locations.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
I can't imagine ever going back to the iPhone. I loved mine for the time I had it but it's so seriously constrained yet Apple wonderfully shields users from realizing it.

I've had my Note 3 for about 3 weeks and can't believe how much usefulness the OS has brought to my world since.

Apple really needs to open up a bit and Android, IMO, needs to just have a massive customization tutorial that walks the average iPhone user like my wife through everything on a Droid once they own one.

I love taking the time to learn it but she would hate having to learn it all from scratch.

Both have opportunities ahead of them.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I'm a little surprised you're getting better signal strength from an S4 than an iPhone 5. I love my S4, but signal strength is one area where I felt like it had been lacking compared to my 4S. Maybe the metal backing of the iPhone 5 is significantly worse for RF than the glass in the 4S.

DannyDrama

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
I'm a little surprised you're getting better signal strength from an S4 than an iPhone 5. I love my S4, but signal strength is one area where I felt like it had been lacking compared to my 4S. Maybe the metal backing of the iPhone 5 is significantly worse for RF than the glass in the 4S.

It has to be. If I put my phone flat on the table I get 2-3 dots, if I lay it flat on my macbook I get no service until I remove it. Never used a case with the phone either so it's not that. I may get the metal HTC, the name of which has embarrassingly evaded me! See if that has a similar problem.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Hmm always have had amazing signal with Apple and Motorola products but never Samsung, ever. Granted I've heard there CDMA phones are not as good as their GSM.

But that even applies to wifi. If I lay my iPhone, iPad, Zoom and Nexus 10 side by side the Nexus has noticeable worse wifi reception. Same applied to my GTab and GNexus but I didn't own them at the same time to compare. Is notice this outside too, my Apple and Motorola devices got on my home wifi before I'd come in from my car, never Samsung though.

Maybe they are better now. It was never really and issue though (except the GNexus CDMA which I hated).

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
This is one big advantage of the iOS is the integration with apple services and products. True Google as similar services and products but you already use iTunes, calendar, address book, etc its more integrated on an iPhone

----------

What you don't sync your calenders to your phone?

I have my Google calendar synced to my MBP and my Moto X. My calendar (what I have on it) even shows in the calendar app on the MBP! Same applies to my contacts and I can even use Messages to talk to people using the GTalk protocol (though if I respond from my phone I don't see it in the Messages app on the MBP).

Music? I can sync my iTunes library to Google Music, just need to install the music manager. I then stream my music to either my phone or my tablet using the Google Music app on that device.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
It has to be. If I put my phone flat on the table I get 2-3 dots, if I lay it flat on my macbook I get no service until I remove it. Never used a case with the phone either so it's not that. I may get the metal HTC, the name of which has embarrassingly evaded me! See if that has a similar problem.

The HTC One. It's a nice device, and if I had known HTC was going to get serious about software updates in a way Samsung never has been I probably would have picked up one instead of the S4.

DannyDrama

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
The HTC One. It's a nice device, and if I had known HTC was going to get serious about software updates in a way Samsung never has been I probably would have picked up one instead of the S4.

That's the one! That was like forgetting my own name for a second.

I now have two GS3's that both died suddenly. Both go to download mode but get stuck flashing in Odin. Probably going to get an S4 and keep trying with these guys, if I can breath life into them that's my money back. Not looking hopeful though!

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Racist.

But seriously - I get worse signal on my N5 than my 5S....perhaps you received a faulty device?

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA

I'd take that device into apple. The iPhone, for me, has always been at or near the top of the list in terms of reception. I can't speak for everyone, of course, but it's not uncommon to hear from people who get replacement iPhones where their phone gets fairly poor service (actually happened to my Dad...), gets it replaced, and experiences better service after getting an identical replacement. Take it to the Genius bar and see what happens, it can't hurt!

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
iOS 7 is very white/bright, I can't argue that. I haven't used an iPhone in a while, but on the iPad it's crazy bright. I'm willing to deal with this since iOS 7 did add some long overdue features.

As far as the other complaints- none of it is news. I don't think we will ever see the type of customization on the iPhone that Android users are accustomed to. And that's ok, obviously both platforms are doing well.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
leaving iphone was the best thing i ever did..

i will never leave my galaxy note line now...that goes for tablets too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.