Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
I know, I know...all speculative, but what is there that'll likely be completely new additions/functions for late-2014 or thereabouts (not the likely mid-2013 revision!) 13/15-inch rMBP's?

Of course we'll likely get the usual spec improvements:
- CPU: increase of some type, likely Haswell pt.2 (Broadwell unlikely til early 2015 according to reports).
- GPU: discreet upgrade (top model, at least).
- RAM: 32GB (top model, perhaps).

But apart from the usual CPU/GPU upgrades, what of actual NEW functionality? The only hardware ones I can summate from reading around are:
- Wifi: 802.11AD – line-of-site nearfield up to 7Gbit connections (4Gbit after overhead)?
- ports: USB 3.1 – up to 10Gbit, but still more latency than Tbolt v1 at same speed, and only single channel?

Software, I have no idea...?

Is there anything else tech-wise coming along to be expected?? (Thunderbolt 3 1000GByte/sec, hehe!!)

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Like the 2013 model, it will have a new chipset, i.e., broadwell.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I have no idea.

However I was wondering what else could be removed, now that we got rid of the Ethernet port, optical drive, removable battery etc.

- remove the clicky part of the touchpad?
- on/off button?

To follow the argument that is often given to people that need an optical drive, they could easily remove the display and keyboard, since one can easily use external devices for that ;)
But that is called a Mac mini!

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Like the 2013 model, it will have a new chipset, i.e., broadwell.

Perhaps, but please read my question:
But apart from the usual CPU/GPU upgrades, what of actual NEW functionality?

I was talking to a friend the other day, and we couldn't think of anything apart from the 802.11AD & USB 3.1... hence asking the good knowledgeable MR folks?? :)

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As I said like the 2013 model, it will only really be a chipset upgrade ;)

Maybe TB2 but I think laptops are a mature product and we don't see too many major changes from year to year.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
As I said like the 2013 model, it will only really be a chipset upgrade ;)

Maybe TB2 but I think laptops are a mature product and we don't see too many major changes from year to year.

What are you on about...TB2 is already on the current 15" rMBP (yes 13 will likely get, but yawn).
"Two Thunderbolt 2 ports": http://store.apple.com/uk/mac/compare

Two things popped into my head as possible's:
- 1080p FaceTime HD camera.
- HDMI 2.0 standard, to get 4K at 60Hz (maybe this years with HDMI 1.4 (I think?), can get a sw upgrade to make them work as 2.0, as per press reports?).

Last edited:

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Ah, what about...

A COMPLETE CHASSIS REDESIGN ?

The current Unibodies have been around since late 2008, so they are getting to look a bit same-y. Perhaps Jony can use liquid metal or something...

I should ask here, when will 802.11AD actually be released, as I've read conflicting reports??

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
We won't see 32GB RAM in 2014 - because it will most likely still be DDR3. In comparison, the prospect of a Broadwell CPU is much more likely. I also expect Nvidia Maxwell GPU and maybe a higher-resolution display. But that's about it.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
At this point, apple will never put discrete gpu on their 15" base models.

After Broadwell, barely anyone will put discrete GPUs on their laptops, except gaming machines. And in 10 years, at most, there will be no discrete GPUs to speak of.

iKrivetko

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2010
I don't believe it will be a substantial update. I'm quite sure that it won't even be very different from the current generation, seeing how Broadwell's lineup is virtually the same as Haswell's. New I/O's, probably 32 gigs of RAM, perhaps larger SSDs. Might completely drop dGPUs if Iris Pro will be vastly improved vastly, might get IGZO panels. I wouldn't expect any groundbreaking changes.

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
There will not be a "late 2014" rMBP. There will be a mid-2014 rMBP released in June with spec-bumped Haswell chips and possibly a few minor updates (maybe Maxwell GPU if available, maybe IGZO displays if they get the kinks worked out and production volume up.)

The subsequent release will be in February 2015 with Broadwell, probably DDR4 RAM, and a number of other improvements. Possibly a (slightly) redesigned form-factor.

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
The audio processor in Broadwell is going to be majorly upgraded, which will be big for external audio output.

It sounds as if we shouldn't expect Quad-Core in the U-line of processors currently in the 13", so unless Apple decides to not go low-voltage, which is possible, because Broadwell is going to have huge energy savings anyways, it seems we won't be finally getting quad-cores in the 13" next generation.

We won't see a huge form factor change until at least the new smaller USB standard hits, which might be in time for next fall. We would still need Thunderbolt to shrink, however, if we wanted increased across the board thinness.

Crystalwell making it's way to the 13" would mean the 13" machines would finally truly be Pro machines again.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Ah, what about...

A COMPLETE CHASSIS REDESIGN ?

The current Unibodies have been around since late 2008, so they are getting to look a bit same-y. Perhaps Jony can use liquid metal or something...

I should ask here, when will 802.11AD actually be released, as I've read conflicting reports??

We just got a complete chasis redesign last year. Really, the updates won't be anything major. About the same as what we got this year.

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
There will not be a "late 2014" rMBP. There will be a mid-2014 rMBP released in June with spec-bumped Haswell chips and possibly a few minor updates (maybe Maxwell GPU if available, maybe IGZO displays if they get the kinks worked out and production volume up.)

The subsequent release will be in February 2015 with Broadwell, probably DDR4 RAM, and a number of other improvements. Possibly a (slightly) redesigned form-factor.

This is in line with my predictions. Broadwell is looking like it will miss 2014 at this rate.

undesign

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
We won't see 32GB RAM in 2014 - because it will most likely still be DDR3. In comparison, the prospect of a Broadwell CPU is much more likely. I also expect Nvidia Maxwell GPU and maybe a higher-resolution display. But that's about it.

An even higher resolution would be sooooo pointless. The GPU has enough of a strain as it is and gaming has been rendered next to useless with the current crop of retina displays in macbooks. I really doubt that the Maxwell architecture will alleviate that.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Perhaps, but please read my question:

What are you on about..
Why are you being snippy (at a moderator, no less)? In addition, I think your assumption that a dGPU update is a given is flawed. It might happen, but I sure wouldn't treat it as certain.

I'm not sure why you state these things as fact, because right now that's just speculation on your part. A late 2014 model is not out of the realm of possibility, as has been discussed in other threads by those who follow the roadmaps and industry closely. Right now it's not super likely, but pretending that possibility is tiny or non-existent is premature.

----------

That's a given. And there's no guarantee they'll stick around for the high end models either, even with the huge performance leap that Maxwell will make.

undesign

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013

As long as Apple gives customers the option to have, then thats fine. But that would mean the base 15" model would need to drop in price to reflect a previously standard component. But we all know Apple doesn't drop prices, so THAT won't happen.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Maybe TouchID if they can integrate it without destroying the minimalist aesthetic of the notebook.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
As long as Apple gives customers the option to have, then thats fine. But that would mean the base 15" model would need to drop in price to reflect a previously standard component. But we all know Apple doesn't drop prices, so THAT won't happen.

Uhh...wow. That price drop already happened with the latest models—a drop of $200 along with removal of the dGPU.

Zeov

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2011
Odense
I have no idea.

However I was wondering what else could be removed, now that we got rid of the Ethernet port, optical drive, removable battery etc.

- remove the clicky part of the touchpad?
- on/off button?

To follow the argument that is often given to people that need an optical drive, they could easily remove the display and keyboard, since one can easily use external devices for that ;)
But that is called a Mac mini!

difference is 100% of computer people use a keyboard and a mouse, and is 100% needed on a computer.

an optical drive, on the other hand is old, and not needed anymore, and would make the product line look old because it would have to be a thick and bulky laptop to fit this old technology.. and take space away for more impotant stuff like battery, storage, cooling.

optical drives are getting removed fast, and it's about time.

undesign

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
Uhh...wow. That price drop already happened with the latest models—a drop of $200 along with removal of the dGPU.

You're not reading in between the lines, but rather looking at the price tag at face value.

Sometimes I wish the downrank option on Macrumors was still available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.