Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
It's fair to say, this is one of the biggest week of the year for car enthusiasts.

The show started today and here's what we've already seen!

Corvette Z06

Toyota FT-1
ku-xlarge_zps34ca7268.jpg

More Info

Chrysler 200
-c49d91e6277aeaec.jpg

Photo Gallery

Ford Mustang
Bd3h6Y3CMAAD4lx.jpg

Ford F-150
ME-Ford-f150-1_653.jpg

Last edited:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Ugh, they still look hideous and/or homogenous. What happened to making cars beautiful? Sure a few stand out from the pack. For the most part I just can't believe how many thousands of dollars they expect someone to spend for such ugly cars. When I can spend the same amount to get a classic car restored. In ten years that classic car will likely be worth more while that new car I'd be lucky to get more than the scrap value.

Why not just reintroduce model from the 30's to 70's. But build them out of modern materials and components. That way you have the look but the benefits of a modern suspension, drive train, safety, weight reductions, mileage, &c.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Damn Government Motors using my tax dollars to build new cars, we should've let them fail!

There, now it's in the right forum :p

Except GM has paid the money back, the government owns no part of the company anymore.

trewyn15

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
Except GM has paid the money back, the government owns no part of the company anymore.

So essentially they took a buyout, but in the end did the SAME EXACT thing as Ford, used it as a loan and paid it back.

Weird.

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
Ugh, they still look hideous and/or homogenous. What happened to making cars beautiful? Sure a few stand out from the pack. For the most part I just can't believe how many thousands of dollars they expect someone to spend for such ugly cars. When I can spend the same amount to get a classic car restored. In ten years that classic car will likely be worth more while that new car I'd be lucky to get more than the scrap value.

Why not just reintroduce model from the 30's to 70's. But build them out of modern materials and components. That way you have the look but the benefits of a modern suspension, drive train, safety, weight reductions, mileage, &c.

The biggest challenge in car design today is government regulations.

I know of the new mustang they wanted to hood to be even lower, but could not because of pedestrian safety laws.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I want the new Z06....

And I don't know which I like better...

The Colorado.

2015-Chevrolet-Colorado-Z71-front-three-quarters.jpg

or the GMC Mini Me, sorry Canyon.

2015-gmc-canyon-photo-564257-s-986x603.jpg

The Canyon does have more features than the Colorado like a 2 speed transfer case, autotrac( auto 4wd), better interior, etc. But in terms of styling, I like both!

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I am SOOOOO looking forward to the new C7 Z06....I love corvette's, didn't care for the C7 at first because it was such a departure from the C6, but it's really grown on me. Now that I've sat in one, I'm a huge fan. It will be a beast, tops the C6 ZR1. Plus it just looks absolutely brutal, a 2015 release will be too far away.....better start saving up now :D:D

LINK: Supercharged 2015 Chevy Corvette Z06 takes the C7 beyond the ZR1 (w/video)

2015-chevrolet-corvette-z06-detroit.jpg

The new Z06 engine is just an inch taller than the LT1 in the Corvette Stingray, and there are few more powerful inches in the world: the LT4 is a 6.2-liter supercharged V8 producing "at least" 625 horsepower and 635 pound-feet of torque. The integrated 1.7-liter Eaton supercharger and intercooler sit in the engine's vee, that blower spinning beyond the ZR1's supercharger limit of 15,000 up to 20,000 rpm and utilizing shorter rotors to get up to speed more quickly.

Wider, lightweight aluminum wheels are shod with tires that are 1.5-inches wider in front and 2.0-inches wider in back than those on the Stingray, the Z06 gets wider by 2.2 inches in front and 3.15 inches in back. Accentuating the width in back, the taillights have been pushed three inches further apart. The standard Z06 comes with P285/30 ZR 19 Michelin Pilot Sport rubber in front, hiding 14.6-inch steel rotors clamped by six-pot Brembos. In back is 335/25 ZR 20 rubber hiding four-pot calipers. Climb up to the Z07 package and you'll get Pilot Sport Cup tires with Brembo's carbon ceramic rotors that shave 23 pounds compared to the steel units and are 15.5 inches in front, 15.3 inches in back. The suspension on all Z06 trims is a tuned version of that on the Stingray, with Magnetic Ride Control and the electronic limited-slip differential coming standard.

The Z07 Package will top it all off and include more bits, but Chevrolet hasn't told us what those bits will be since "development testing is ongoing." It has told us, though, that you'll do faster lap times than in the 2014 ZR1.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Hmm, looks exactly like every other 911 ever made.

I don't know how Porsche pulls that off.

Not to say the 911 isnt a great drivers car, it is. But they all look the same.

Is your name Jeremy Clarkson?

:p

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Is your name Jeremy Clarkson?

:p

No, but he makes a very good point, all 911s look pretty much the same. And it isn't pretty. I'd still rock one.

As far as the new Corvette goes. I really really really hate the C7.

Because the more I look at it, the more I crave one, I will be trading in my 2013 Grand Sport for a Convertible C7 Stingray. Must have.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I am SOOOOO looking forward to the new C7 Z06....I love corvette's, didn't care for the C7 at first because it was such a departure from the C6, but it's really grown on me. Now that I've sat in one, I'm a huge fan. It will be a beast, tops the C6 ZR1. Plus it just looks absolutely brutal, a 2015 release will be too far away.....better start saving up now :D:D

Wow, that looks amazing! I'd love to have one, but it isn't very practical for living in Colorado or a family man.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.