Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoldOutMatinee

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2007
Las Vegas
tried to enable trim and now macbook pro won't boot for me either. can i use target disk mode to transfer something from it that i didn't back up to my imac before i restore? the last i backed up was a month ago so i won't lose TOO much lol

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
That's interesting to know that third-party TRIM enablers aren't working, at least yet. So it's also confirmed that OS X isn't supporting the third-party SSD's with TRIM either eh?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I would hope they would, but I'm not expecting to see third party SSDs have TRIM enabled.

melb00m

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
I wouldn't hold my breath for official support neither, but I'm sure TrimEnabler will be updated to work with Yosemite.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
Hi, developer of Trim Enabler here.

Status of Trim in Yosemite:

1. Yosemite still limits Trim to Apple only SSD, like other OSX
  2. Trim Enabler runs fine and seems to add Trim support just like before
  3. Kernel extensions that have been modified are no longer loaded by OSX, so you will get a boot failure after enabling Trim

Working to get around this, I have every intention of supporting Yosemite for Trim Enabler.

If you want to folllow the progress and get support, the cindori.org topic posted above is where I'll be.

yeldarbnamdlog

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
Hi, developer of Trim Enabler here.

Status of Trim in Yosemite:

1. Yosemite still limits Trim to Apple only SSD, like other OSX
  2. Trim Enabler runs fine and seems to add Trim support just like before
  3. Kernel extensions that have been modified are no longer loaded by OSX, so you will get a boot failure after enabling Trim

Working to get around this, I have every intention of supporting Yosemite for Trim Enabler.

I know that modern SSDs have redundancies and other tech to limit the degradation from not using/having TRIM, so I'm not particularly worried, in the short term!

Looking forward to your Yosemite release, and am hoping it'll be before we move to DP2.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
It has worked for me, but after booting the Mac a few days later, the same "no-go" sign appeared.

Not sure if it is due to having trim support enabled or something else... :confused:

MDTyKe

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
Hawaii, USA
There's a known bug that when TRIM is enabled, the Mac will fail on the next reboot... so be careful...

Mine also died, had to Cmd+R and go into Terminal to do the fix:

Code:
Run these commands, replacing YourDisk with the name of your Mac disk

rm -rf "/Volumes/YourDisk/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext"

cp -r "/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext" "/Volumes/YourDisk/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext"

touch "/Volumes/YourDisk/System/Library/Extensions"

kextcache -u "/Volumes/YourDisk

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
There's a known bug that when TRIM is enabled, the Mac will fail on the next reboot... so be careful...
Mine also died, had to Cmd+R and go into Terminal to do the fix:

Code:
Run these commands, replacing YourDisk with the name of your Mac disk
rm -rf "/Volumes/YourDisk/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext"
cp -r "/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext" "/Volumes/YourDisk/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext"
touch "/Volumes/YourDisk/System/Library/Extensions"
kextcache -u "/Volumes/YourDisk

Did you experience the boot failure after the fix from Cindori?

~ Cheers

kpkp

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012

It is not really a bug, apple decided to not load unsigned kexts which leads to this mess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.