Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
It had worked after reboots (maybe 3 times or so) but suddenly, a few days later, at a cold boot I got the no-go sign again..:confused:

Might be something different, but the symptoms were the same as the TRIM issue.

Now back at Mavericks, so next time I cold boot Yosemite I'll report back.

~ Cheers

Last edited:

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
It has worked for me, but after booting the Mac a few days later, the same "no-go" sign appeared.

Not sure if it is due to having trim support enabled or something else... :confused:

The problem described on the previous page and on my website is not a "bug" that "happens when trim is enabled", but simply a "block" against third party/modified kexts that Apple added for Developer Preview 1, probably for debugging reasons.

Once you use the boot argument to tell Yosemite to not use this block, Trim is enabled just fine. If something happens several days later, it's likely to be completely unrelated (Yosemite is EXTREMELY buggy).

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
It had worked after reboots (maybe 3 times or so) but suddenly, a few days later, at a cold boot I got the no-go sign again..:confused:

Might be something different, but the symptoms were the same as the TRIM issue.

Cold boot into Yosemite today, no problem with Trim Enabler at all.

~ Cheers

star trek

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2013
Pay for trim....pay for anything...your ssd must be an Apple certified much more priced as ordinary hardware to have trim enabled....otherwise it has no support...... Dear Apple even microsoft makes no difference whatever ssd U happen to have in PC.....Really it's a real shame !!!! Would U cancel even this message !? :eek:

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
The problem described on the previous page and on my website is not a "bug" that "happens when trim is enabled", but simply a "block" against third party/modified kexts that Apple added for Developer Preview 1, probably for debugging reasons.

Once you use the boot argument to tell Yosemite to not use this block, Trim is enabled just fine. If something happens several days later, it's likely to be completely unrelated (Yosemite is EXTREMELY buggy).

Cold boot into Yosemite today, no problem with Trim Enabler at all.

~ Cheers

It probably was something else then.

Tnx for replying, guys.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Pay for trim....pay for anything...your ssd must be an Apple certified much more priced as ordinary hardware to have trim enabled....otherwise it has no support...... Dear Apple even microsoft makes no difference whatever ssd U happen to have in PC.....Really it's a real shame !!!! Would U cancel even this message !? :eek:

You have to have an Apple-branded SSD for the integrated TRIM support to work. If you're using a third-party SSD (i.e, replacing a HDD or older SSD in a machine), then trim Enabler is the only way to get TRIM working. As for the rest of your post, it doesn't even make sense when ran though Bing or Google Translate...

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
A bit soon i know, but any news on if the Trim support issue is resolved in the DP2 just out?

There is no such thing as a "Trim support issue". Please see post #30.
Trim Enabler works fine in DP2. Still needs the boot argument.

gstevie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2009
Glasgow
There is no such thing as a "Trim support issue". Please see post #30.
Trim Enabler works fine in DP2. Still needs the boot argument.

Thanks. I had reverted back to Mavericks since the DP1 version of 10.10 came out and last night I installed 10.10 then updated to DP2 and then enabled TRIM, following the instructions here: http://www.cindori.org/enabling-trim-on-os-x-yosemite/

Worked flawlessly. Thanks for your help.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Trim Enabler Fix or?

After updating to Yosemite DP2 to my separate SSD RAID0 on the Velocity DUO X2, I again executed the Cindori fix for Trim Enabler. Not sure if this is TE related or that the DP2 got a negative hold on my RAID0 (external in Disk Utlities) on the DUO X2?

I could of course reinstall DP1 and update to DP2 again, but I would like to share this mishap with you and perhaps fix it. Sorry for the bad iPhone photo screen shot :eek:

Anyone else having TE troubles?

~ Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_2996.JPG
    IMG_2996.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 396

star trek

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2013
You have to have an Apple-branded SSD for the integrated TRIM support to work. If you're using a third-party SSD (i.e, replacing a HDD or older SSD in a machine), then trim Enabler is the only way to get TRIM working. As for the rest of your post, it doesn't even make sense when ran though Bing or Google Translate...

I mean = TRIM FOR FREE not TRIM ONLY FOR APPLE'S SSD :eek:

Nothing else nothing more so simple so fast !? Is It the end of Apple to have trim for free !?

How about Yellownstone supervolcano and fukushima radiation in USA !?

Last edited:

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I mean = TRIM FOR FREE not TRIM ONLY FOR APPLE'S SSD :eek:

Nothing else nothing more so simple so fast !? Is It the end of Apple to have trim for free !?

How about Yellownstone supervolcano and fukushima radiation in USA !?

What in the hell does Yellowstone and Fukushima have to do with TRIM support? I swear this site is getting crazier by the day. Apple has never supported TRIM natively for non-Apple SSDs, so there's no change there at all.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Resolved!

After updating to Yosemite DP2 to my separate SSD RAID0 on the Velocity DUO X2, I again executed the Cindori fix for Trim Enabler. Not sure if this is TE related or that the DP2 got a negative hold on my RAID0 (external in Disk Utlities) on the DUO X2?

RESOLVED: Yosemite DP1 + DP2 is not in favor of my PCIe sata-3 SSD card! Installed on SSD in bay#1!

~ Cheers

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I enabled TRIM and after a day it rendered my boot drive useless ... thank gosh for Time Machine!

That said, I'd expect Chameleon SSD to update theirs in the near future.

David2144

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Stopped working

my mac no longer boots up (gets the no-go sign) while booting up. followed the instructions to enable trim on yosemite. What should I do now?

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Why is using Trim Enabler necessary? In Mavericks you could modify the correct KEXT from the command line after every OS update. Has anyone proven that removing the "APPLE SSD" string from IOAHCIBlockStorage no longer works on Yosemite?

"APPLE SSD" is still there. The only new operation would be to run `sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"`.

Last edited:

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
my mac no longer boots up (gets the no-go sign) while booting up. followed the instructions to enable trim on yosemite. What should I do now?

I think you can do one of the following:
1. Boot into the Recovery 10.10 OS. Boot your Mac, hold option, select the Recovery partition. Open terminal and try disabling kext check using the command listed earlier in this thread.
2. Boot into your other OS X partition, completely restore the kext that you modified. This is assuming you backed up your kext first.

deathr0w

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2012
still works

Before anyone asks :), already tried this method and works fine on DP3. remember to follow the extra steps described on cindori´s website and you should be good to go.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
I have TRIM working on DP3. I didn't use Trim Enabler as I don't see any need to use a program for something I fully understand and I've been using for years.

Go here for the manual approach:
https://digitaldj.net/blog/2011/11/17/trim-enabler-for-os-x-lion-mountain-lion-mavericks/

I had trouble with patching the file. This worked for me:
sudo perl -pi -e 's|(^\x00{1,20})[^\x00]{9}(\x00{1,20}\x54)|$1\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00$2|sg' /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I would hope they would, but I'm not expecting to see third party SSDs have TRIM enabled.
Thing is, with the new Mac Pro there isn't really a Mac model that encourages installation of third party SSDs anymore, so if Apple didn't bother while the old Mac Pro was being sold it's not surprising that they won't do it now.

Also, I don't see why people would even try running TRIM Enabler on a new OS? It works by patching a kernel extension, and with all the updates to SSDs it was highly likely that that extension would change, resulting in TRIM enabler breaking it, and that's if Yosemite doesn't introduce any security changes such as signed kernel extensions that are verified on startup.

I dunno, it's just the very last thing I'd want to do, that's for the original developer to worry about and create a new version of ;)

As an aside though, how much benefit do people actually see when enabling TRIM for their third party SSDs? I've had several that actually performed worse with TRIM enabled, not necessarily the fault of the drive but possibly some oddity with OS X's handling of TRIM once (force) enabled. I've just found things to be more stable with it left off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.