Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
The 5 is already pretty damn thin. I have to imagine that we must be reaching a point of diminishing returns here soon. If we keep moving toward credit card thickness (but the same HxW), it doesn't get that much more portable and it just gets harder to hold.

Hopefully the attention gets shifted to bezel death or battery life at that point. I mean, am I wrong - does anyone here even *care* about an even-thinner phone?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The 5 is already pretty damn thin. I have to imagine that we must be reaching a point of diminishing returns here soon. If we keep moving toward credit card thickness (but the same HxW), it doesn't get that much more portable and it just gets harder to hold.

Hopefully the attention gets shifted to bezel death or battery life at that point. I mean, am I wrong - does anyone here even *care* about an even-thinner phone?

Personally I don't (care about the iPhone being thinner) but there are many here that do.

I agree with less bezel, the problem though isn't that Apple needs big bezel for the phone to be thin it's just the choose it to be that way (and for keeping the touchID home button).

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
In the extreme, the perfect iPad would be like a sheet of paper--thin and flexible.

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
There has been work on foldable screens and circuits for a long time now.

Seems more useful for wearables, but somewhat limited for a pocket device.

If we even ever got to a point where a robust smart phone on the bendable card was possible, I don't see too many people would be willing to sacrifice functionality, power, battery life, camera, etc. for the benefit of that gimmick.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
personally I would rather thickness of iPhone 4 and have a better battery. These phones get any thinner I will seriously be concerned about bending them.

Narien

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
While there are a lot of aspects to consider with thinner phones (especially with the current technology) like handling, battery life and durability.

The two latter ones should be disregarded when asking yourself "do you want thinner without consequence?", which is how I regard this thread. And to be frank, I havn't yet held a phone where i thought "wow this phone is too thin".

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Apple seem to focus a lot of form factor, this is why weight and thinness is pushed by them. They can make a phone bigger when people are wanting bigger phones, but in order to push form factor advancements they will have to focus on areas where less can be more. For these reasons I don't think Apple will stop pushing these factors just yet.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Apple seem to focus a lot of form factor, this is why weight and thinness is pushed by them. They can make a phone bigger when people are wanting bigger phones, but in order to push form factor advancements they will have to focus on areas where less can be more. For these reasons I don't think Apple will stop pushing these factors just yet.

Thats a fail for the iPhone 6 then.

Apples design is the top bezel (camera area) and bottom (Home button area) are equal, to give a balanced design. So, these excess areas are a waste, making a 4.7 iPhone a larger form factor than other 5 inch phones.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Last time? The iPhone 6 isn't going to be paper is it? If it's not paper thin apple ain't done. But I have a feeling im going to be done after the iPhone 6

Last edited:

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Last time? The iPhone 6 isn't going to be paper is it? If it's not paper thin apple ain't done. But I have a feeling in going to be done after the iPhone 6

I've ranted for a couple of years for a larger screen iPhone. Now its almost here, I have lost interest. Ive bought a 4, 4S, 5, 5S, each with a mere incremental upgrade. Id rather spend my cash buying Apple other stuff that actually enhances my experience more

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
I personally like the thickness of the 5G iPod Touch. If I could have that thickness in an iPad and an iPhone, I'd be happy.

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
The day I can put it in my wallet in a credit card slot is the day they should probably stop.

As long as a credit card is 4.7 or 5.5 inches big.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.