Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in 2010, Apple extended iTunes song previews from 30 seconds in length to 90 seconds on songs longer than 2 minutes and 30 seconds, to give users a longer listening period before making a purchase.

It appears that some songs have now reverted to 30 second play lengths rather than 90 seconds, with many popular songs offering previews that are only 30 seconds in length on both the mobile and desktop versions of iTunes.

For example, previews of all songs on Sia's new album are only 30 seconds despite all of the songs being longer than the 2 minutes and 30 seconds, a length that used to result in a 90 second preview. Many other popular albums are also demonstrating the same short 30 second previews. Coldplay's entire discography, for example, has only 30 second previews instead of the 90 seconds of preview time that was previously available.

30secondpreviews.jpg
According to one MacRumors forum user, some songs that are only available for 30 second previews were available in 90 second lengths just hours ago. User complaints on Twitter also suggest that the shift is recent.
As early as a few hours ago these were all 90 seconds! If you remember, Apple made a big deal about switching to extended previews, now a lot of songs are reverting back. Seeing more 30-second previews now than 90-second on most albums I've checked.
Though most songs at the current point in time seem to be limited to 30 second previews, there are some exceptions. Certain albums continue to offer 90 second previews, as do all of the songs listed on Apple's Top Charts. For example, Leela James' album "Fall for You" continues to offer 30 second previews, suggesting the shift may be limited to certain artists or labels.

Back when Apple first made the switch to 90 second song previews, it experienced some delays due to licensing agreements, and it is unclear if licensing has once again become an issue. It is unknown at this time if the shift to 30 second previews is a simple glitch or a more permanent change.

(Thanks, MichaelSD!)

Update July 11 6:37 AM: Apple has restored 90-second previews for some, but not all, tracks that had been affected.

Article Link: Apple Cuts Some iTunes Song Previews From 90 Seconds to 30 Seconds

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
They blew it for me, because some songs that had a great verse for the preview, I wouldn't buy. I would just preview when I needed to.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
People still download songs from iTunes? Mainly a streamer here.

If I want to buy music I'll usually go with the whole shabang and get the artwork and all, preferably limited vinyl with some character.

Last edited:

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I remember when the previews were only 30 seconds, most of the songs I wanted to preview would cut off right before the main part of the song. That's really what I want to hear to make sure I'm getting the correct cover of the song.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I feel like this is in an early attempt to entice users to join Apple's streaming service, if and when they convert Beats Music to iMusic or whatever they need to call it. Previously, I'd admittedly just listen to a 90-second preview if I had to hear a certain track on my iPhone since I'm in between streaming services at the moment.

Edit: Although, I don't think it's a glitch since the actual preview stream files were trimmed by Apple.

cylack

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
Orlando, FL
Not cool Apple. If this continues, customers will soon revert back to getting the full 2 min 30 sec "preview" if you get my drift.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
That's interesting. If it was just cellular I'd think it had to do with data usage, but if it's on computers as well that must mean there's a different reason.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's of the utmost importance that this is played down now after all the celebration of them moving to 90 seconds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.