Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
How is the iphone 4s on ios 8 compared to the iphone 4 on ios 7.1.2? I know ios 8 is still in beta.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
You can't really tell at this point, it is WORSE than the 4 in some areas, so I don't think optimization is complete just yet.

Mhrjimmy

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2014
if your not in ios 8 right now, and want to upgrade to it, then please think about it. i was also excited to put ios 8 in my iphone 4s but it was too buggy and slow, laggy like some androids. so now i'm back on IOS 7. if that iphone 4s is your personal phone then donot do it. And if thats your testing iphone then go ahead. the iphone with ios 8 is worst then iphone in ios 7

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Seriously it's time to upgrade if you're still using the iPhone 4S. You cannot expect a buttery smooth iOS 8 experience on hardware that old. I think it's incredible that Apple is trying to support the device, and it's why I love Apple they never abandon their customers, but really forget about it and buy the next iPhone when it comes out.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Seriously it's time to upgrade if you're still using the iPhone 4S. You cannot expect a buttery smooth iOS 8 experience on hardware that old. I think it's incredible that Apple is trying to support the device, and it's why I love Apple they never abandon their customers, but really forget about it and buy the next iPhone when it comes out.

It's a current product so Apple should be offering support for the device.

http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-iphone/iphone4s

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
It's a current product so Apple should be offering support for the device.

http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-iphone/iphone4s

Yeah support of the device should not be in question. But support should not mean you're guaranteed to get the latest versions of iOS for as long as the device is sold and supported. Apple never makes a promise to giving you the next versions of iOS. It's just a bonus that you usually do get these updates for free on current hardware.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Apple could make iOS 8 run butter smooth on iPhone 4S. But they won't.

The experience will be adjusted at a particular level which will force you to upgrade to a higher iPhone. :)

Sad but true story.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
The iPhone 4s can still be purchased new, and if someone wants one for "free" they may end up with a 2 year contract. Not everyone purchases products at launch.

Christoffee

Contributor
Jul 26, 2012
UK

Ha ha! I hear you bud. I really don't want buttery smoothness, just functioning. I sure could upgrade. My contract is up and I'm on PAYG, but my phone serves it's purpose.

If iOS8 is pants I'll leave it on 7 for a while longer.

As I get older I become more... prudent!

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm going to be honest. From all the videos I've seen on YouTube running an iPhone 4s with iOS 8 (especially beta 4), it seems to run every bit as fast as iOS 7 short being slightly longer on bootup which I never do anyway. IOS 7 on an iPhone 4 is noticeably clunky and slow. The 4S on iOS 8 isn't. I don't know about app loading, but I don't see it being THAT bad.

Just an opinion from an eye test.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
People need to remember that the iPhone 4 was slow from the start. It has a single core CPU. Single core CPUs will always be slow on modern operating systems because of massive context switch overhead, ESPECIALLY on systems that try to do many things at once, like iOS does (mainly behind the scenes). Some other process on the phone using the CPU will cause graphics updates to not be smooth, for instance.

The move from single to dual-core computing has been the biggest update for performance in the recent history of computing when it comes to system responsiveness. For example, changing from a 2GHz to a 4GHz single CPU will not provide as much increase in responsiveness as adding a second 2GHz CPU.

This is why it's unlikely the 4S will perform really badly on iOS 8 unless it's outright sabotage by Apple. The iPhone 4 was a special case due to its outdated architecture.

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
My iPhone is jail broken now but I ran beta 4 and 5 and had no complaints about the way it runs on my 4s besides bugs others are seeing. Looking forward to the 6 though.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
On my 4s iOS 7 is pretty fast and smooth, iOS 8 has stuttery animations which makes it feel slow, and apps take about a second longer to open, it isn't as fast as it is on iOS 7. This could be fixed though, beta 4 and 5 improved performance.

ajay96

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
New York, NY
On my 4s iOS 7 is pretty fast and smooth, iOS 8 has stuttery animations which makes it feel slow, and apps take about a second longer to open, it isn't as fast as it is on iOS 7. This could be fixed though, beta 4 and 5 improved performance.

Yeah, I'll Give iOS 8 more time. I trust Apple.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I was really hoping that iOS 8 would bring back some of the speed that iOS <7 had. iOS 7 is still sluggish during its animations, and now I'm hearing that 8 has no intentions of making it any better.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I was really hoping that iOS 8 would bring back some of the speed that iOS <7 had. iOS 7 is still sluggish during its animations, and now I'm hearing that 8 has no intentions of making it any better.

iOS 8 animations are definitely faster than on iOS 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.