Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Yeah 7.1 really sped things up. So changing the text size on iOS 8 resprings your device now?

That's weird that the bug is back. I wonder what's going on there? Sometimes I kinda miss when I used to code. Well not really.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Yeah haha. They went back in time on that slider.

Well sometimes all the bug fixes applied in the latest version of a section of code become such an incomprehensible mess it's sometimes worth a try going back a few versions and starting over. Been there done that.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
We won't know to the GM... I doubt it will be overly slow... The 4 was a lot slower on ios 7 as it was a far more demanding system than ios 6. I don't know that iOS 8 will be the same. Also ios 8 supports all A5 devices - and between the iPod touch 5, iPad mini 1, iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPhone 4S which would together represent a large percentage of the installed ios base. Apple has thus got a good reason to get ios 8 running at least reasonably well to avoid annoying a lot of ios users. The iphone 4 was the only a4 device and thus a lot less people, giving apple less of a reason to get ios 7 running well on it- they waited till ios 7.1.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
How is iOS 8 on the 4S? Well I'm using it on my day to day phone. I want to upgrade to the iPhone 6 but but I don't feel I need to yet as its running fine.

DarkCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2013
So far Beta 5 feels pretty smooth on the 4S.

Besides the random hiccups, which should be fixed in the GM.

If you were to compare the 4 running iOS 7 and the 4S running iOS 8, the 4S is in a much better place.

ajay96

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
New York, NY
So far Beta 5 feels pretty smooth on the 4S.

Besides the random hiccups, which should be fixed in the GM.

If you were to compare the 4 running iOS 7 and the 4S running iOS 8, the 4S is in a much better place.

Yeah, its not too bad for a beta at all. I'm using it on an every day device, and its fine. Battery is OK, as expected.

GalvaJ

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
Apple could make iOS 8 run butter smooth on iPhone 4S. But they won't.

The experience will be adjusted at a particular level which will force you to upgrade to a higher iPhone. :)

Sad but true story.

That's 'bout the stupidest thing I've ever read about an iOS update. No ***** Apple can make iOS8 run buttery smooth an iPhone 4S. But they'd be drastically holding back whatever hardware they plan on releasing this Fall by making sure it runs great on an A5 cause there wouldn't be much to taking advantage of the A8 making new hardware pretty pointless. The phone came out in 2011. It's time has come and gone. You guys who keep these phones for years on end come up with the stupidest stuff when it comes to what Apple does with software, I swear.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
That's 'bout the stupidest thing I've ever read about an iOS update. No ***** Apple can make iOS8 run buttery smooth an iPhone 4S. But they'd be drastically holding back whatever hardware they plan on releasing this Fall by making sure it runs great on an A5 cause there wouldn't be much to taking advantage of the A8 making new hardware pretty pointless. The phone came out in 2011. It's time has come and gone. You guys who keep these phones for years on end come up with the stupidest stuff when it comes to what Apple does with software, I swear.

So first you called my opinion stupid and then you kinda agree with it saying it's obvious as it's to prevent A8 based phone to not become pointless? Do you even read your own reply?

LMAO

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

They still sell the 4s as new you know. I don't think it's time has passed just yet.

IOS 8 already runs well on an A6, so it's not that farfetched.

Chris5488

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Belgium
Some people here are saying "Be happy Apple still let's you update" and "Still using a 4S? That thing is ancient, upgrade to a new iPhone", but why? iOS8 isn't that different than iOS7, so exactly why should performance be slower on iOS8? For Christ's sake Infinite Blade II was demo'ed with the 4S, you ain't telling me "Oh, but iOS8 is way heavier than that 3D show-off game which made people's jaws drop"... if that would be true, there's something seriously wrong with Apple's OS.

iOS8 has the same interface with the same animations and the same core-functions. Some apps are tweaked, Health-app is added, Siri is now able to recognise songs and there's tighter integration with Macs (Continuity & hand-off). Not exactly features or enhancements that would suddenly cause the phone to lag compared to iOS7, they're just tidbits within apps.

The transition from iOS6 to iOS7 was a big change which was genuinely a challenge for older phones, not iOS8. iOS8 should run as smooth as iOS7 does, if not, Apple has been messing with it to make it slower on older devices. Period.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK

Post of the week.

You were pissed off at him even though what you and he said are the SAME thing.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Some people here are saying "Be happy Apple still let's you update" and "Still using a 4S? That thing is ancient, upgrade to a new iPhone", but why? iOS8 isn't that different than iOS7, so exactly why should performance be slower on iOS8? For Christ's sake Infinite Blade II was demo'ed with the 4S, you ain't telling me "Oh, but iOS8 is way heavier than that 3D show-off game which made people's jaws drop"... if that would be true, there's something seriously wrong with Apple's OS.

iOS8 has the same interface with the same animations and the same core-functions. Some apps are tweaked, Health-app is added, Siri is now able to recognise songs and there's tighter integration with Macs (Continuity & hand-off). Not exactly features or enhancements that would suddenly cause the phone to lag compared to iOS7, they're just tidbits within apps.

The transition from iOS6 to iOS7 was a big change which was genuinely a challenge for older phones, not iOS8. iOS8 should run as smooth as iOS7 does, if not, Apple has been messing with it to make it slower on older devices. Period.
iOS 8 has a lot of background changes, it isn't the same as iOS 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.