Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
Remember how iPod made our personal computers the "hub" for entertainment and we'd charge our devices there, add content to them etc and how iPhone was initiated on the same widely adapted idea of a "ultimate hub" a decade ago?

Well as you all know after a few releases of iOS iPhone could be used without syncing with a computer and even started backing itself up to iCloud. It was autonomous now and didn't need a PC at all. Heck its ancestors couldn't even be unlocked while syncing they were that dependant.

Now, while we await the release of the 9th iteration of iPhone named iPhone 6, I'm just curious to see who still has things the old fashioned way.

I for example don't backup my phone to iCloud and still sync everything with my Mac but what I see with people in general is they use their iPhones autonomously.

Bentox

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
I still use my desktop :)eek:) as my hub. The only thing I sync with the Cloud is Contacts, but everything else is regularly backed up to and sync'd with the Falcon.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I do, and I'm pleased to keep my data on the computer as opposed to the cloud.

MattXDA

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2014
UK
I use my Macbook Pro as my hub for everything. It's good to have all my data stored on a solid reliable machine.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I backup to iCloud.
I sync my music via iTunes Match.

But my PC is still my hub for video contact to stream to AppleTV, and still my hub for photo storage.

I also find it easier to tweak and create new playlists on iTunes, but once that's done and synced, I use iTunes Match direct on iPhone to pull it down.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
It's still the hub for me. But I now spend less time on it than ever. I obtain and organize my media on the computer and the consume it on something else.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I back up my iPhone and iPad every once in awhile on my MacBook and I suppose I would make a fresh copy before I got a new phone but for me, iCloud is the primary means of backing up both devices. But I do stream music more on my MacBook or iMac than I do on my other devices. Be it iTunes, Spotify, iHeart Radio, or directly with the radio site, I like using the computer since I can also use AirFoil to stream to multiple devices.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
I use iCloud and iTunes Match but still make consistent encrypted backups on my Mac and if I know I'm going to be restoring a phone, I definitely go through iTunes, especially on launch days! Infinitely faster than waiting on an iCloud backup when 5 million other people are slamming the server. And iTunes still runs as a hub for my Apple TVs.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It's still the hub for me. But I now spend less time on it than ever. I obtain and organize my media on the computer and the consume it on something else.
Same here. I also have iCloud backup enabled but whenever I get a new iPhone, I usually do an encrypted backup and restore via iTunes.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
My NAS is my hub. My desktop has folder redirections to it, so anything I work on with my desktop like photo edits, documents, files, etc. are saved to the NAS which I can then access from my phone, laptop, work computer, etc. over the WAN or LAN. I love having all my data in my own "cloud" I can access from anywhere.

phx

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Wait? There is a device with an intuitive interface, large amounts of ram, a huge screen and fast internet speeds? And it'll charge my phone?!?!?!

Shut up and take my money!

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
My NAS is my hub. My desktop has folder redirections to it, so anything I work on with my desktop like photo edits, documents, files, etc. are saved to the NAS which I can then access from my phone, laptop, work computer, etc. over the WAN or LAN. I love having all my data in my own "cloud" I can access from anywhere.

Pretty much this. I use a FreeNAS server and I have VPN access to my house so I'm always connected to a central storage system that is private and encrypted. Only my contacts/calendar are public cloud based and those are on Office 365.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
I still use my iMac to backup and restore my phones. I do use the cloud for contacts and calendars and stuff but always do a regular backup on the computer.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
iCloud for backups and syncing contacts. I do have automatic music downloads turned on for wifi, but I end up syncing with iTunes on my rMBP out of habit. Still used to the iPod Classic days when my only option was to sync with iTunes. I do offload photos into iPhoto to save space on my phone.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
One of the ways that the NSA was able to gain access to user's iPhone data is by breaking into their desktops and decrypting the backed up data. Just some food for thought.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I definitely still keep all my data stored on my computer and server. I don't trust the cloud as anything but a temporary storage location for shuffling data around.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I do. I bought a new Mac Mini on Sunday. one of the first things I did was backup my iPads and iPhone. One of the iPads backup to the cloud but I still keep backups on my computer as well.

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
My MBP is my main hub. I have various unimportant stuff on the cloud in place, but for the post part everything happens through my laptop. At the end of the day it is by far the most practical for everything I do, especially for photo work and my daily work duties.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
No Cloud nonsense for me. I'm aspiring to be an grumpy, distrustful, cynical git when I'm older.

I have 1TB on iMac and 1TB on external. I don't tend to horde much so it's plenty if I clean out every few months.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I keep all my music and all my RAW images on my 17" MBP. I sync and backup my phone to it. The only thing I use iCloud for is calendar and contacts. I have an external drive with movies and I'm starting to stream my iTunes movies instead of keeping a local copy.

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
My macbook pro gets used to rip CDs and view photos. My music is then stored on a NAS and iPod and copied onto memory cards for my car. Occasionally I might use office but I prefer do work stuff at home. I also use it download stuff from various Garmin devices using ant+, but even the newer of these will sync to the iPad or directly using wifi.

The iPad is so much easier at everything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.