Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
US/Canada website.

10 hours at Amazon (preorder).

200,000 units.

Besides that, it was only released in UK, France, and Germany. I did not check about the launches there.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Some innovative features for sure. That screen isn't great for videos though, but for Blackberry enthusiasts it seems to be a nice step up in the tech game.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
For QWERTY die-hards, actually. Most CrackBerry users have moved on and are happy with the BB10 virtual keyboard, which is the best among touch devices, and are clamouring for a full-touch flagship.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
US/Canada website.

200,000 units.

Besides that, it was only released in UK, France, and Germany. I did not check about the launches there.

sold out in the BlackBerry store here in Germany, Not available on Amazon yet.

Weird looking device, but the courage blackberry took to make something so un-mainstream might actually pay off..

Not a fan of hardware keyboards on phones though, because they're are too small.. Software keyboards are just so much faster.. But good for those who like them

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
US/Canada website.

200,000 units.

Maybe we will see Q3 finally stop the sliding sales for Blackberry. BB lost another half million in sales from Q1 to Q2 and only sold 2.1 million phones during that quarter. With 200k in sales just in N. America on Amazon and BB store could we possibly see 500k - 1 million in sales once this is on all carriers?

Looking like BB might have stopped the money/unit sales loss... At least for this quarter anyway.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
sold out in the BlackBerry store here in Germany, Not available on Amazon yet.

Weird looking device, but the courage blackberry took to make something so un-mainstream might actually pay off..

Not a fan of hardware keyboards on phones though, because they're are too small.. Software keyboards are just so much faster.. But good for those who like them

It was in development even before the current CEO arrived, although who knows if it would have been turned into an actual product.

I have not tried it, but maybe this is the first portrait keyboard big enough to be practical, this might have driven its development more than the bigger screen.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Looks like they put out just enough phones to see how the reception will be. There is a white version that was advertised but not on sale yet.

I'm actually seriously considering the phone if android apps work just as good as on any android phone.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Looks like they put out just enough phones to see how the reception will be. There is a white version that was advertised but not on sale yet.

I'm actually seriously considering the phone if android apps work just as good as on any android phone.

Chen's strategy is to gradually ramp up new products into new markets so that BlackBerry does not have to write off $1,000,000,000 in inventory again.

A lot of apps work, but there's no Google Play or Google services because of Google's restrictions.

The Amazon Appstore comes preinstalled now.

msavic

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
It's a unique device. Not sure if I would want to use it myself but it's interesting to say the least.
uty7ebaq.jpg

msavic

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
That's such a poor demo display. You cannot test how it fits in all your pockets.

I don't think this would fit in any front pants pocket. Maybe a rear pocket or a coat pocket. It basically is un-pocketable, if that's even a word.

saratoga172

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2014
Very interesting device. Curious to see how it goes. Never hurts having another phone manufacturer getting back in the game.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I don't think this would fit in any front pants pocket. Maybe a rear pocket or a coat pocket. It basically is un-pocketable, if that's even a word.

I don't think back pockets should be a problem, and front pocket might work too if you're not talking about tight jeans.

What I'm concerned about is that I have strong doubts it would fit in a usual shirt pocket.

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
There are still a lot of people who prefer physical keyboards - just look at the huge amount of keyboard-like covers you see on ipads everywhere even though you have the option of typing directly on the screen if you want.

It is quite clear that devices like these has their place in the market.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
There are still a lot of people who prefer physical keyboards - just look at the huge amount of keyboard-like covers you see on ipads everywhere even though you have the option of typing directly on the screen if you want.

It is quite clear that devices like these has their place in the market.

I want a rectangular screen BB10 with a sliding landscape keyboard.

Like the Meego phone Elop made sure to kill.

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
I want a rectangular screen BB10 with a sliding landscape keyboard.

Like the Meego phone Elop made sure to kill.

I had a Nokia years ago with a slide-out qwerty keyboard. I have never ever typed that fast on any mobile device before or since.

Great stuff indeed if you do more than just quick and short messages on your phone.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Chen's strategy is to gradually ramp up new products into new markets so that BlackBerry does not have to write off $1,000,000,000 in inventory again.

A lot of apps work, but there's no Google Play or Google services because of Google's restrictions.

The Amazon Appstore comes preinstalled now.

That's cool about android apps working. It sucks that Google Services apps don't work. I did read that Google Maps (or an older version of it) doesn't rely on Google Services and can be side loaded!

I love the gesture keyboard. Also their "Siri" like assistant program is great and more robust but seriously slow. I think Blackberry is finally trying to get back into the game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.