Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Haha I don't get it, but still I'm happy for them. That is one mad ugly and weird device but certainly on the tube if I saw someone using it, I'd be all like "I totally could never use that **** but nerd you have my respect tbh."

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
So awkward...what aspect ratio is that? 1:1?

However, physical keyboards do hold a special place in my heart since I had the original Droid and a couple HTC WinMo phones before it with one...so I understand their appeal..even on a square phone.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
So awkward...what aspect ratio is that? 1:1?

Yes, it is 1:1, like their other fixed keyboard phones.

----------

I remember I was not impressed by the prototype leaks, but if you look at better pictures than the one posted in this thread, it does look good.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
200 000 units to take care of the pent up demand was probably about right. It's not impressive by any means, but at least they were smart enough to limit stock unlike the other launches where they had to write down billions in unsold phones.

Will be interesting to see the staying power of this device. I feel that most people who want one will be in those 200k orders. It's really an ugly and unwieldy looking device so the appeal will be extremely limited.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
It is impressive when you consider how BlackBerry had been faring under the previous management.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
The passport is a relic of old management. If it survives on its own merits, it's thanks to old management.

As for impressive, only in a vacuum when compared to past failures. Heck, the new BB10 devices sold at a higher rate when they were released, so it's not even as impressive as that disaster.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Yes, the Passport is a development which started way back with the previous management, but that does not mean it would be such a success story if things had continued the same as before.

It is also the previous management who made the great decision of buying QNX to start with.

Execution is critical.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011

Interesting because it shows that analysts are just writing stuff without any knowledge base? Totally agree ;)

Since when is Steel more expansive than aluminum?

He states that if people want a phone like an iPhone, Blackberry will wrap that phone. In the end he says that the phone is not trying to compete the iPhone, because Apple will always be better at building those..

At last the use of "-gate" terms totally makes him sound professional... not..

I don't say he doesn't have a point (BlackBerry for Business has its advantages) or that Apple didn't screw up the 8.0.1 update (they did). But this article screams: You guys buy that phone, because otherwise Blackberry would fail and I couldn't buy their phones anymore..

In the end Blackberry has some problems: BYOD for example is a big challenge for them, because their have to get the consumer to buy it, not the business itself. A market where they didn't really excel recently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.