Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Two Scoops

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2014
United States
Hey, I'm pretty new here and was hoping to get this question answered. I'm getting the iPhone 6 in a few days and figured I might as well get some new headphones to go with them, and I've narrowed my decision to the beats studio headphones which I can pick up at an Apple store. I'm looking at the champagne gold and metallic sky colors, but I'm open to others. Which should I get? I provided a picture of my two top options.

22mc09.jpg

jdamiano

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2014
NJ
If your getting the gold iPhone 6, get the gold headphones. Space gray then go with black. I have a space gray 5s and white solo 2's and its a great combination!

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'd prefer the black, but please research and make sure you absolutely want these. Most people that I have talked to have regretted Beats because they cost a massive premium with subpar sound quality.

----------

Don't get Beats.

You could at least answer the OP.

arftech

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
I'd prefer the black, but please research and make sure you absolutely want these. Most people that I have talked to have regretted Beats because they cost a massive premium with subpar sound quality.

----------

You could at least answer the OP.

Beats are great for some particular genres of music. They're especially good with hip/hop, dubstep and bass heavy electronica.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Beats are great for some particular genres of music. They're especially good with hip/hop, dubstep and bass heavy electronica.

That's what the complaints were about: overly deep bass. However, like you said, if the genre is a bass heavy one than Beats would be a good fit.

King Shady

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2010
San Jose, CA
Here's my issue with Beats:

You're overpaying for subpar sound quality at that price range (though the bass is obviously a strong point), because you want the nice design ( I give them credit, they look phenomenal) and recognition while wearing them. They're just overblown in pop culture now, and by no means are they bad... it's just that you can get much, much better for the price that they are listed at.

afinch1992

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I would highly recommend you check out headfi for less expensive and higher quality headphones. If you are dead set though, I would recommend whichever one goes with your phone. I am partial to the grey though

King Shady

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2010
San Jose, CA
Agreed with that ^. I own the V-Moda M100's and they are absolutely incredible. Similar bass to the Beats, but much cleaner, crisper, and the clarity is absolutely unreal. They also look bada** too.

syclick

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
If you're dead set on them, go with whatever suits your fancy.

I listen to a lot of electronica, and even I find the Beats headphones unbearable (horrible mids and highs). If you really want the bass, there are headphones that have much better sound quality as well as a boost in the lower frequencies.

Two Scoops

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2014
United States
[/COLOR]
Here's my issue with Beats:

You're overpaying for subpar sound quality at that price range (though the bass is obviously a strong point), because you want the nice design ( I give them credit, they look phenomenal) and recognition while wearing them. They're just overblown in pop culture now, and by no means are they bad... it's just that you can get much, much better for the price that they are listed at.

Well darn, now I'm having second thoughts...

DARKiLLUSiON

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Toronto, Canada
To answer your question this really depend on which suits your taste/phone (personally I like the white/gold)

For a better price/quality I'd go with Audio-Technica ATH M50, I've had my share with the Beats headphone but it wasn't enjoyable at all. On two occasion, the left side of the can is gone and one of them being a replacement.

Koziakauzu

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
Which color beats headphones should I get?

Gold ones, they are super classy and low profile. Be sure to match with a golden chain if you can. Or anything pink.

Or just buy the one you like...

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
OP first maybe ask yourself WHY you feel you need beats...... then move on from there. I'm not saying not to get them but maybe research headphones a bit and not just jump on the bandwagon your friends are on.

dest

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
UK
What criteria have you used to narrow down your search to Beats?
The reality is, they are complete junk.
They might look nice to some people (personally I think they look crap) but they sound horrible.
I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD25 MKII which Ive had for 18 years, and they still sound amazing (let alone in comparison to Beats!), they're strong and all parts can be replaced if broken.
I have been DJ'ing and mixing in clubs since 1992 and have yet to find anything better.
They are cheaper than Beats too :)

----------

My Sennheisers make Beats sound like a muddy mess, and all I ever listen to is either oldskool hiphop or very bass heavy drum & bass

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
i haven't tried the Studio 2.0 much,

but the one on display at duty free shop was trash, might of been broken.

But the Studio 1.0 was horrible. It was OK in a sense but not for that price range.

They do look nice, but if the Beat Pros are the best in the beats line.

only $100 dollars more for a MUCH BETTER experience. might as well if you're going to spend $300 dollars anyways.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think the gold ones look garish, but that's just my taste. Get the one that suits you.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
i think the gold looks terrible in my opinion, ive seen them in person and i thought they looked awful, i have the titanium studios and theyre gorgeous, well i think they are, but get whatever color matches your phone or get whatever pleases your eye

cchunk

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2012
Don't listen to all the people saying not to get Beats. They might be more expensive and yeah of course there are better quality headphones out for much less, but the quality of them are very nice. They look the nicest IMO. I have a pair of the wireless matte black studios and I love them.

If you do decide to get them, i recommend to go through best buy. They offer a 2 year warranty for $50.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.