Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

attlogo.png
Following T-Mobile's recently announced "Data Stash" program allowing customers to roll over unused data to subsequent months, AT&T today announced it will launch a similar data program later this month. The new feature will be available at no additional charge to the 50 million users on the carrier's Mobile Share Value plans.
"Rollover Data is an added benefit of being an AT&T Mobile Share Value customer and it's just another way that we're saying thanks to our more than 50 million plus Mobile Share Value subscribers," said Glenn Lurie, President and CEO, AT&T Mobility. "We're providing even more value and flexibility, and the best part is it's simple, shareable and easy to track for our customers. All Mobile Share Value customers get this automatically."
AT&T's new Rollover Data feature does differ in one important respect from T-Mobile's program. While T-Mobile's rollover data expires after 12 months, AT&T customers can roll over unused data for only one month, with users tapping into the rollover data only after their normal monthly allotment has been exhausted.
As an example:

If you have four lines and have a 15GB AT&T Mobile Share Value Plan and only use 10GB in a given month, you'll roll over 5GB and have a total of 20GB available to use within the next month. If you were to only use 10GB in the second month, you'll again roll over 5GB and have a total of 20GB available the next month. Bottom line: if you have unused plan data this month, it automatically rolls over to be used within the next month in case you need more than your plan's allotment.
AT&T will automatically enable the rollover feature on all Mobile Share Value plans starting January 25. Customers can track their rollover data using the MyAT&T mobile app [Direct Link] or on AT&T's website.

Article Link: AT&T Announces New Limited Data Rollover Feature for Mobile Share Value Customers

whawhat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
T-Mobile has been fantastic for consumers. Now we just need one for the cable industry to break up that monopoly. Competition is good.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Well, at least it's something. Not bad! I wonder if it will apply to the 30GB promo users?

ZCT

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
When are the phone companies going to stop stealing from us?

I buy 10Gb of data in a month, at a price that is far higher than in many other countries. If I use only 7Gb, they simply steal the data I paid for.

The next month I use 11Gb, and they hit me with an overage charge. Even if I only used 1Gb a month for a year, and they have stolen 108Gb from me, they will still charge me extra if I go even a Kb over on the 13th month.

It is a disgusting practice, and this move by AT&T is one step ahead of literally the least they could do.

So how about they announce they are not going to steal anymore? A fair price for a decent service, and if I pay for it, I get to keep it until I use it.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
T-Mobile has brought some great innovation and pressure to the other mobile companies. Wish we had them in Australia.

tommyboy21

macrumors member
May 22, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
While I commend AT&T for being the first to do something after T-Mobile made it's move, it does feel like they are still being greedy with it only rolling over for 1 month. They took a good thing, great press, and then just ruined it with that limitation. Why even do it at all then?!?

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Looks like I'm using ~10GB of my 30GB this month. Guess next month I'll have 50GB available. Wish the rollover extended longer, but I'll take this! It will help my slower months give me nice rollovers for the busy ones.

:apple:

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
Ok Verizon. Your turn.

I was thinking the exact same thing!

I buy 10Gb of data in a month, at a price that is far higher than in many other countries. If I use only 7Gb, they simply steal the data I paid for.

The next month I use 11Gb, and they hit me with an overage charge. Even if I only used 1Gb a month for a year, and they have stolen 108Gb from me, they will still charge me extra if I go even a Kb over on the 13th month.

with the above said (calling out VZW) I will say that there have been 2 times (one being the release of iOS 8 where it would drop my home wifi) that I've exceeded my data according to the VZW iPhone app and VZW has NOT hit me with an overage charge... so there may be some leniency there... I don't know.

...then again it was only be a few mb or so.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
It's like they're just doing enough to advertise they have rollover but yeah, at least it's something. I expected something like this eventually but that was fast. Gotta love T-Mobile, just wish they had better coverage so I could start giving them my money.

I still miss the days of unlimited data but this combined w/ the recent double data promotion is keeping me fairly happy.

SFO 1K

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2007

It is a disgusting practice, and this move by AT&T is one step ahead of literally the least they could do.

Did you take advantage of the FREE offer to upgrade from 10GB to 15GB last year in fourth quarter? That would have already given you a cushion. Now that new cushion rolls over to another month. You're complaining about the cost of 10GB when in reality you could have had 50% more data for the same price and now gotten even more ability to use that data with the rollover modifier.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Wow, a whole one month rollover huh? They can't even copy T-Mobile without screwing it up. So glad I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile back in 2013, stuff like this only further proves it was the right move to make.

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
Well, at least it's something. Not bad! I wonder if it will apply to the 30GB promo users?

**Beginning January 25, all new and current AT&T Mobile Share Value customers will automatically receive the Rollover Data feature at no additional cost.***

is your 30gb promo a "Mobile Share Value" plan?...check in your online billing...should be on the home page.

but I have a feeling that is it....then you're qualified.

apple.snapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
I must say this.. thank GOD for Tmobile. They are FINALLY doing what AT&T/Verizon/Sprint should have been doing for years... COMPETE and INNOVATE! And thank god the AT&T Tmobile deal fell through.

I would switch in a new york minute if it wasn't for little to no signal at my house, work, and everywhere between. I did the test drive and was extremely disappointed.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

So how about they announce they are not going to steal anymore? A fair price for a decent service, and if I pay for it, I get to keep it until I use it.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

You seriously just quoted the t-mobile commercial.

mdorais

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
This is pretty weak by AT&T. Oh well, I switched to T-Mobile months ago and haven't looked back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.