Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
This is why I switched to TMobile. I have a man crush on John Legere. He has done so much for this industry. I will deal with slightly less coverage than my old Verizon service to support his brilliant transformation of TMobile.

This is what America is about and you rarely see "real" competition in 2015.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
When are the phone companies going to stop stealing from us?

I buy 10Gb of data in a month, at a price that is far higher than in many other countries. If I use only 7Gb, they simply steal the data I paid for.

This is like saying that every day I don't turn on my TV the cable company is "stealing TV" from me.

Come on.

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
Screw ATT - This is BS.

ATT does this because 90% of people go no where near their limit.

Find out when your month switches over - The day before, stream Netflix until you are .2gb away from your limit then stop.

Repeat every month and watch ATT take it all away.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
If you're only using 3, why are you paying for 20?

Sounds like he is in the same boat as me, probably on the 10GB plan, but got the 20GB increase through a retention loophole.

Now that I have 20GB for the 10GB price my wife and I are now using 8 to 12 GB per month though, not worrying about if on Wifi or not.

If he has the 20GB for the 10GB price I would hold on to that for dear life. as internet speeds get faster and websites get more data intensive we are going to use more and more data in the future, even doing the same task.

A lot of it having to do with increased graphics quality that we are pulling down from webpages.

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
Because they make you have it.

If you're only using 3, why are you paying for 20?

You obviously don't have ATT. If you switch to a lesser plan, your actual plan costs go up so it is in fact CHEAPER to have the 20GB plan.

We just went through this. All of ATTs plans are seesaws. Reduce your data plan and the plan costs go up and you have less data. Buy the larger data plan and your other plan fees go down.

They do this because you pay more for data they they know you will NEVER actually use.

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
the way I see this new feature is that.

1) NO BENEFITS, for those that don't go over their data.

2) people that are sometimes go over their data, this is where they see this kicking in, saving them that 10-15$ over charge per GB.
example. 1st month - Family A uses 9gb of 10 gb = 1 gb roll over.
2nd month - Family A uses 10.5 gb = Phewww awesome no overage charge (1gb roll over saved them)
3rd month - Family A uses 10.5 gb = Overage charge hits :(
4th month - Family A has a family meeting and talks about being careful about using the data.

So overall, it does help the consumers abit. hey we take whatever we can take right

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Amazing that it took so long for this to happen. We've had roll over minutes for eon's but data.....

Better late than never I guess.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
At&t succeeds again... in being the biggest nickel and diming company I've ever seen...

Talk about lame counter moves.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
I'm so over the throttling BS that ATT has been pulling that this is pretty darn enticing to finally make the switch but I'm still not sure if it's worth the few extra dollars the bill will go up for 10 gigs and I'm not sure if I'm a fan of just 1 month of rollover compared to 12 that T-Mobile is offering. It's too bad that ATT isn't offering the 15 for 10 promo they were just doing recently.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
It's not so much saying "thanks", but saying "**** you" slightly less hard.

I pay for my GB, FU for telling me when and how I have to use them.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

I buy 10Gb of data in a month, at a price that is far higher than in many other countries. If I use only 7Gb, they simply steal the data I paid for.

The next month I use 11Gb, and they hit me with an overage charge. Even if I only used 1Gb a month for a year, and they have stolen 108Gb from me, they will still charge me extra if I go even a Kb over on the 13th month.

It is a disgusting practice, and this move by AT&T is one step ahead of literally the least they could do.

So how about they announce they are not going to steal anymore? A fair price for a decent service, and if I pay for it, I get to keep it until I use it.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Stealing? Really?

If you go to a store and buy a gallon of milk with an expiration date in two weeks, and only drink half of it before it expires, do you accuse the grocery store of stealing from you? No, you would toss it away, and say "Whoops, maybe next time I should buy a half gallon instead so I don't waste any."

You're buying X gigs of data knowing it expires in 30 days. If you consistently have more data than you use, maybe you need to switch to a smaller data plan.

dyt1983

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2014
USA USA USA

By your measure, many companies steal from us. Like I pay $90 a month to Comcast for unlimited data. When I don't use "unlimited" data, where does it go? It gets stolen from me at the end of the month! Same with ESPN that I almost never watch.

And when I don't fill my trash bin to the top... the garbage company steals empty garbage space!

And water service... unlimited local phone calling... 24 hour gym membership... Amazon Prime. Wow, I never realized I was the victim of so much crime!

illinirazorback

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2009
Some of us out here in the middle of the country don't have the option to switch to T-Mobile (and have any decent coverage). We are stuck with AT&T or Verizon. But I'm glad T-Mobile is around and pushing the others to do what they should.

That said, this one-month thing is a bit of a joke. Hopefully they will get bad press from it and match T-Mobile.

I was on the 4 GB plan that became 10 GB for less money, then beceame 15 GB for the same money. So I have plenty. In fact, I looked at going down a plan because I don't use that much. But they pretty much have me stuck, because going down in data is the same money as staying where I am.

For those of you complaining about data still being expensive, remember this. I used to get 250 minutes a month for an outrageous amount of money. Then I got a bunch of minutes for less money. Then I got unlimited minutes. Data is in the middle right now. It'll be unlimited in 2 or 3 years, probably thanks to T-Mobile again.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
So we can expect a Verizon announcement in the next few days I suspect. I'm going to have so much rollover data, I might as well have an unlimited plan.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
It's not so much saying "thanks", but saying "**** you" slightly less hard.

I pay for my GB, FU for telling me when and how I have to use them.

Are you ******** me? Your bitching about something they gave you? You pay for have a certain amount of data each month. That is what you pay AT&T for. Yeah they get to tell you when you have to use it by.

Last edited by a moderator:

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
This is why I switched to TMobile. I have a man crush on John Legere. He has done so much for this industry. I will deal with slightly less coverage than my old Verizon service to support his brilliant transformation of TMobile.

This is what America is about and you rarely see "real" competition in 2015.

Here here, I'll second that. How is your coverage BTW? I've been thinking of switching, but I'm not sure because of the coverage thing... and I know they have the test drive thing but... Idk, haven't gotten to it lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.