Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itr81

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
ATT does this because 90% of people go no where near their limit.

Find out when your month switches over - The day before, stream Netflix until you are .2gb away from your limit then stop.

Repeat every month and watch ATT take it all away.

I doubt that since Netflix pays att for priorty on their network. In all likely hood I think att will continue to add data to their existing plans because it's already out they plan on streaming dtv and uverse to all mobile devices at no extra charge.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
When are the phone companies going to stop stealing from us?

I buy 10Gb of data in a month, at a price that is far higher than in many other countries. If I use only 7Gb, they simply steal the data I paid for.

The next month I use 11Gb, and they hit me with an overage charge. Even if I only used 1Gb a month for a year, and they have stolen 108Gb from me, they will still charge me extra if I go even a Kb over on the 13th month.

It is a disgusting practice, and this move by AT&T is one step ahead of literally the least they could do.

So how about they announce they are not going to steal anymore? A fair price for a decent service, and if I pay for it, I get to keep it until I use it.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Many things in other countries are far higher priced than they are in the US.

So now you shouldn't get charged an overage on any given month. Where's the joy?

Huracan

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
I think this is the definition of "too little too late". It has been years of AT&T abusing and showing little respect or love for their customers when they had an exclusive deal on the iPhone. Now they are just trying to stanch the hemorrhage by doing half measures that seem to match, but not quite, T-Mobile offerings. I for one, after being a Cingular and AT&T customer for many years I am about to jump ship to T-Mobile in a couple of weeks. I am just lining up things, unlocking phones, etc. for the switch.

I think for me, the icing on the cake of abuse and insult from AT&T was when after years of having an unlimited data plan and not using but a fraction of it, I one time went over 5GB in a month and got throttled, and customer support refused to remove the throttle for the rest of the month, even considering that AT&T is being sued for this very same reason. Enough is enough.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
This is pretty much nothing special, they did it just so they can say they do in a commercial even tho it's completely half assed.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
While I commend AT&T for being the first to do something after T-Mobile made it's move, it does feel like they are still being greedy with it only rolling over for 1 month. They took a good thing, great press, and then just ruined it with that limitation. Why even do it at all then?!?

Some people just aren't happy. If you have the need for 6 months worth of rollover data, then, buddy, you should be on a higher data plan. I think 99.9% of people don't use 3-5GB every month and then suddenly need 40GB of data on the 6th month.

This plan by AT&T is to buffer those that might go slightly over their plan on any given month and not have to pay for extra data.

kkay2000

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2009
West Coast

So how about they announce they are not going to steal anymore? A fair price for a decent service, and if I pay for it, I get to keep it until I use it.

=======
I concur! Why can't we accumulate unused data like minutes?

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007

I buy 10Gb of data in a month, at a price that is far higher than in many other countries. If I use only 7Gb, they simply steal the data I paid for.

The next month I use 11Gb, and they hit me with an overage charge. Even if I only used 1Gb a month for a year, and they have stolen 108Gb from me, they will still charge me extra if I go even a Kb over on the 13th month.

It is a disgusting practice, and this move by AT&T is one step ahead of literally the least they could do.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

It's not really fair to compare US carriers to other countries. Are you getting LTE speeds in other countries? Are you getting as much coverage? The answer is probably NO in most other countries.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I concur! Why can't we accumulate unused data like minutes?

Because rollover minutes is an OLD plan. Almost all current plans are UNLIMITED MINUTES.
The carriers realized years ago that people don't really use their phones to TALK as much as they consume data.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I don't care. TMobile is better and cheaper. I will be switching once my wifi is in place.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
I must say this.. thank GOD for Tmobile. They are FINALLY doing what AT&T/Verizon/Sprint should have been doing for years... COMPETE and INNOVATE! And thank god the AT&T Tmobile deal fell through.

I would switch in a new york minute if it wasn't for little to no signal at my house, work, and everywhere between. I did the test drive and was extremely disappointed.

That's why T-Mobile can do what they're doing. They don't have to upkeep full network speeds covering all of the country. So they pass that savings on to the small footprint they can service. But don't pretend like T-Mobile is any different. If they ever grow as big as ATT, they will behave the same in order to pay for their network infrastructure. It's the cost of the wireless business in the US at this moment and not an evil corporation vs. a not-so-evil one.

itr81

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I think this is the definition of "too little too late". It has been years of AT&T abusing and showing little respect or love for their customers when they had an exclusive deal on the iPhone. Now they are just trying to stanch the hemorrhage by doing half measures that seem to match, but not quite, T-Mobile offerings. I for one, after being a Cingular and AT&T customer for many years I am about to jump ship to T-Mobile in a couple of weeks. I am just lining up things, unlocking phones, etc. for the switch.

I think for me, the icing on the cake of abuse and insult from AT&T was when after years of having an unlimited data plan and not using but a fraction of it, I one time went over 5GB in a month and got throttled, and customer support refused to remove the throttle for the rest of the month, even considering that AT&T is being sued for this very same reason. Enough is enough.

You do realize everyone throttles at some point.
All networks will throttle you once you use so much data. You will also be throttled if a network tower gets overwhelmed with data demands.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I for one, after being a Cingular and AT&T customer for many years I am about to jump ship to T-Mobile in a couple of weeks. I am just lining up things, unlocking phones, etc. for the switch.

Make sure you understand coverage and network speed before switching. Coverage and network speed between carriers is completely different depending on where you are.

Where I am, T-Mobile's coverage is very poor, and data rate is extremely slow. AT&T and Verizon are my only 2 options.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I don't care. TMobile is better and cheaper. I will be switching once my wifi is in place.

Clearly T-Mobile is not better if you can't switch until you have wifi at your place, because if you need wifi to switch, that must mean their coverage at your house is pretty bad.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I must say this.. thank GOD for Tmobile. They are FINALLY doing what AT&T/Verizon/Sprint should have been doing for years... COMPETE and INNOVATE! And thank god the AT&T Tmobile deal fell through.

I would switch in a new york minute if it wasn't for little to no signal at my house, work, and everywhere between. I did the test drive and was extremely disappointed.

My sentiments exactly. My iPad Air 2 is using a T-Mobile plan right now, but I can fall back to tethering to my AT&T iPhone 5s if T-Mobile coverage gets spotty. I bought the T-Mobile iPad plan that was 5GB for 150 days (whichever runs out first) for $10. On top of that, T-Mobile gives me 200MB free every month (which is used before my 5GB pool each month), so it works out to 6GB over 5 months (which is just about right for my off-WiFi needs on the iPad).

I am using my iPad Air 2 as my T-Mobile "test drive". I am finding that in some places that AT&T drops to 4G or has no coverage that T-Mobile has LTE all lit up. However, in most places AT&T has LTE and greater signal strength. By end of 2015, I am guessing that T-Mobile's network improvements are going to put it on par with AT&T coverage -- supposedly no network is being improved more with the latest tech than T-Mobile's.

I'm so glad the iPad Air 2 can switch between T-Mobile and Sprint at will and to/from AT&T and Verizon by just swapping SIM cards. I just wish all the carriers supported Apple SIM. One model iPad for all carriers is definitely the way to go.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
While I commend AT&T for being the first to do something after T-Mobile made it's move, it does feel like they are still being greedy with it only rolling over for 1 month. They took a good thing, great press, and then just ruined it with that limitation. Why even do it at all then?!?
But you won't ask for more. Because that would make you greedy. And greed is bad.

Nicksd84

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hangin onto unlimited for as long as I can. Maybe the inquiry one day will remove the throttling. I use too much data for the capped options to be cost effective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.