Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It appears that today's iOS 8.1.3 update fixes many of the exploits that were used for the iOS 8 TaiG jailbreak, which worked up until iOS 8.1.2. The earlier Pangu jailbreak was disabled with the iOS 8.1.1 update that was released on November 17.

TaiG has not yet confirmed whether iOS 8.1.3 breaks its jailbreak tool, but reports on the MacRumors forums and on Twitter suggest that is indeed the case. Apple's support document detailing the security fixes in iOS 8.1.3 credits the TaiG jailbreak team for finding four now-patched vulnerabilities in the operating system.

taigjailbreak-800x527.jpg
At the current time, Apple is still signing iOS 8.1.2 so it's possible to downgrade from iOS 8.1.3 back to iOS 8.1.2 or upgrade to iOS 8.1.2 from an earlier version of iOS, but that could end at any time.

Released this morning, iOS 8.1.3 includes a range of bug fixes including a repair for a lingering Wi-Fi issue, and it also reduces the amount of storage space required to perform an iOS update.

Article Link: iOS 8.1.3 Fixes Exploits Used by TaiG Jailbreak

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I wish Apple would just get over themselves and open iOS so that a jailbreak is unnessecary.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I wish Apple would just get over themselves and open iOS so that a jailbreak is unnessecary.

They don’t have an incentive to do it. The current model has worked pretty well for them, supported, among other things, by the latest sales numbers. At least they have been expanding the system somewhat with Extensibility, so I’m sure will see more of that this year.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I just want my phone to work, and thus far, the 3rd party keyboards are working way better... hoping for the rough edges to be smoothed. I used to care a lot about jailbreaking, but with every release of iOS, there has been less and less reason to do so...

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

If you want "open", then you have that option on the Android side of the fence. Stop trying to impose your own values onto a platform that is tremendously successful at remaining stable, consistent and a pleasure to use for millions of users. Jailbreaking may indeed add functionality, but not always in a consistent, reliable way. It's that uncertainty that Apple is smart to steer clear of. The Android "experience" is a mess... I challenge you to prove otherwise.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Unless you don't like the latest OS updates which defeats one of the benefits of owning a iDevice.

Sometimes, Latest updates =/= best for your iDevice. Case in point: an iPhone 3G was never able to run iOS4. As soon as the next major iOS update is released (read: iOS 9), I'll guarantee you an iPhone 4S will not be able to run it; in fact, the 4S is very sluggish with 8.1.2/8.1.3 as is.

Also, IIRC, iOS 8.0.1, which was latest at that time, was pulled. Does that mean that everyone else on 8.0 defeated themselves by owning an iDevice?

BL.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Unless you don't like the latest OS updates which defeats one of the benefits of owning a iDevice.

I don't understand those who spend big bucks on a iPhone, only to turn around and jailbreak it with apps, where it doesn't even hardly resemble an iPhone anymore. Why not stick with Android if one dislikes the OS enough to want to change it all the time? And then many of the jailbreakers complain when Apple betters their OS, because they can't jailbreak and are stuck.

It is like someone buying a BMW, and then taking it to the shop to get completely redone, where it looks like and sounds like a VW Bug on the inside.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I would rather have a closed system, that provides better security. If people want to jailbreak their devices, they can continue to do it on their own.

Good on Apple for patching the holes.

Your statement contradicts itself. If people want to jailbreak their devices, they can't continue to do it on their own because Apple patched the holes.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Your statement contradicts itself. If people want to jailbreak their devices, they can't continue to do it on their own because Apple patched the holes.
They can continue to try and break the OS with their jailbreak tools. That is what I was speaking to.

Jailbreakers are the minority. I see no reason why Apple should cater to those who advocate disrupting the OS, so that they can install everything under the sun, and tweak the settings every day.

iOS isn't perfect. However, I much prefer it over Android or the jailbreak scene.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

One thing you are forgetting; one of the things that jailbreaking does is provide security. JBers provide it by exposing the holes in the OS, and report those holes to Apple so they are fixed in the next update. Case in point: The evad3rs and TaIG were credited with finding the holes that were patched in iOS updates.

It's a very bad assumption that JBers Jailbreak their iDevices with malicious intent or vindictiveness.

BL.

AshtonTS

macrumors member
May 28, 2012
I don't understand those who spend big bucks on a iPhone, only to turn around and jailbreak it with apps, where it doesn't even hardly resemble an iPhone anymore. Why not stick with Android if one dislikes the OS enough to want to change it all the time? And then many of the jailbreakers complain when Apple betters their OS, because they can't jailbreak and are stuck.

It is like someone buying a BMW, and then taking it to the shop to get completely redone, where it looks like and sounds like a VW Bug on the inside.

Except it's nothing like that. The majority of jailbreakers aren't trying to make their iPhone look like android. Jailbreaking doesn't get rid of the things like Touch ID, apple pay, iMessage, FaceTime, or anything else people love about iOS. Saying for a user just to buy android instead is an ignorant statement. Jailbreak tweaks help to refine the experience and add features apple overlooks or doesn't think about. Many of these features aren't on android phones either. Check out reddit's /r/jailbreak and you'll see what they're actually about and inform yourself about what Jailbreaking truly is.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
If you want "open", then you have that option on the Android side of the fence.
Personally, I like having a nice OS with the additional open side to it. I tried Android once, and I'd rather not go back. If I can have iOS and jailbreak it too, then I'm doubly satisfied.

Stop trying to impose your own values onto a platform that is tremendously successful at remaining stable, consistent and a pleasure to use for millions of users.
I'm not imposing anything, I think. I'm suggesting that having the option or choice would be very nice for a lot of us. Choice means that if you don't want to involve yourself in tweaking your phone in this hypothetical situation, you are not forced to if you are so worried about stability. Right now we're all forced into the safe-but-neutered side of things, but some of us prefer a better option (in our opinions.)

Jailbreaking may indeed add functionality, but not always in a consistent, reliable way. It's that uncertainty that Apple is smart to steer clear of. The Android "experience" is a mess... I challenge you to prove otherwise.
My argument is actually my personal experience: My iPhone is still stable despite having been jailbroken for so long, and I feel competent and confident enough to troubleshoot my phone if I have to. I think a lot of other iPhone also feel the same.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Jailbreakers are the minority. I see no reason why Apple should cater to those who advocate disrupting the OS, so that they can install everything under the sun, and tweak the settings every day.

Of course I don't expect them to cater to jailbreakers, when they want to decide exactly how devices look, function, and exactly what can and cannot be installed on them.

However, jailbreakers want to be able to choose some of those things for themselves, not just blindly follow Apple's rules. That's why they jailbreak.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Except it's nothing like that. The majority of jailbreakers aren't trying to make their iPhone look like android. Jailbreaking doesn't get rid of the things like Touch ID, apple pay, iMessage, FaceTime, or anything else people love about iOS. Saying for a user just to buy android instead is an ignorant statement. Jailbreak tweaks help to refine the experience and add features apple overlooks or doesn't think about. Many of these features aren't on android phones either. Check out reddit's /r/jailbreak and you'll see what they're actually about and inform yourself about what Jailbreaking truly is.

I didn't say jailbreaking gets rid of everything. My analogy was apropos, in my opinion. If i had said what you read into my post, your retort would have been applicable.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
I would rather have a closed system, that provides better security. If people want to jailbreak their devices, they can continue to do it on their own.

Good on Apple for patching the holes.

In general I like the "walled garden" approach since it helps maintain a great user experience. Having said that I would like it if some 3rd party apps could be the default app for some features. I think eventually we'll get that. Apple is slowly moving in that direction with app extensions.

Ha, when I typed walled garden reminded me of AOL back in the mid-90s. Lots of people like it because it was a safe way of getting people on the internet, with its curated content. Not that Apple is like AOL, but some similarities - AOL helped novice people get online when it was scary and confusing. Apple has helped millions of novice tech people to use its mobile devices in a safe and easy way. In my opinion, once everyone is really on-board we'll see Apple make iOS devices more customizable.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
That's okay, we'll have another one by the time iOS 9 is announced hopefully. It wasn't worth having the jailbreak at this point anyway. The most important features in iOS 8 were all messed up in 8.1.2. Keyboards are much better in the 8.2 beta 4.

I unjailbreaked my devices for that reason.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

So let me get this right....

You want Apple to change its business model of selling devices with closed system that makes them BILLIONS to cater to you????:rolleyes:

Hey why don't we try that with other companies.....

I wish McDonalds would just get over themselves and let me order Burger King menu at their locations.

I wish Ford would just get over themselves and let me be able to buy a Fusion with a Chevy LS1 in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.