Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I'm wondering if I can still update to 8.1.2 and jailbreak? If not did the latest firmware break the jailbreak?

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I too was wondering, it seems they have fixed some major issues with this update,
(spotlight, iMessage and FaceTime bugs) it would be worth the upgrade...

But preserving the jailbreak seems more worthwhile

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I too was wondering, it seems they have fixed some major issues with this update,

Care to share why do you still jailbreak? Personally, aside for speeding up animations or perhaps adding more toggles to CC, I don't find it useful anymore.

Thanks!

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010

If my iTunes still says to update to 8.1.2 for my device think I can get away with not upgrading to 8.1.3 YET since I didnt jailbreak yet and am on the older jailbroken firmware?

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Care to share why do you still jailbreak? Personally, aside for speeding up animations or perhaps adding more toggles to CC, I don't find it useful anymore.

Thanks!

Exactly for those reasons,

Speeding up animations, after using noslowanimations, i find iOS to be so delayed.

Auxo, i like to close all my apps at once

also type status lets me see when people are typing on the top bar even when I'm not in messages.

Location spoofer is fun to mess with friends also.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans

Thanks!

Customization is my reason. I cant stand stock iOS icons, so I use plenty of themes. Also the icon layout on the ipad is pretty low, (4x4 or 4x5 - i cant even remember anymore) I use springtomize to do a 6x6 layout on the iPad and an 8 x 8 layout on the 6+ with reduced icon sizes. Safehouse pro to not require an unlock password when Im home and vintagekeys for aesthetics.

I hate to bring it up, but I had less of a reason to jailbreak on iOS6.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
If my iTunes still says to update to 8.1.2 for my device think I can get away with not upgrading to 8.1.3 YET since I didnt jailbreak yet and am on the older jailbroken firmware?

There is no way to know how long Apple will keep signing 8.1.2. Signing windows have been left open from as little as a few hours to as long as a two weeks after a new firmware is released. Given this update was tested internally for quite a while, I would bet Apple stops signing 8.1.2 sooner rather than later. As to whether it's worth the hassle of updating, that's up to you. But I wouldn't wait too long to make your decision.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Customization is my reason. I cant stand stock iOS icons, so I use plenty of themes. Also the icon layout on the ipad is pretty low, (4x4 or 4x5 - i cant even remember anymore) I use springtomize to do a 6x6 layout on the iPad and an 8 x 8 layout on the 6+ with reduced icon sizes. Safehouse pro to not require an unlock password when Im home and vintagekeys for aesthetics.

I hate to bring it up, but I had less of a reason to jailbreak on iOS6.
This tweak sounds awesome so does it detect when youre on your wifi at home and entirely skips the passcode? Im guessing this isnt for those with TouchID devices would it skip that process as well and go straight to our homescreen?
There is no way to know how long Apple will keep signing 8.1.2. Signing windows have been left open from as little as a few hours to as long as a two weeks after a new firmware is released. Given this update was tested internally for quite a while, I would bet Apple stops signing 8.1.2 sooner rather than later. As to whether it's worth the hassle of updating, that's up to you. But I wouldn't wait too long to make your decision.
I knew I should have did my update to 8.1.2 last night. I tried to just update since it still said 8.1.2 but nope they stopped signing it wanted to update me straight to 8.1.3. :mad:

Now we need to find out if the jailbreak still works but highly doubt it

studmule

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
This tweak sounds awesome so does it detect when youre on your wifi at home and entirely skips the passcode? Im guessing this isnt for those with TouchID devices would it skip that process as well and go straight to our homescreen?

I knew I should have did my update to 8.1.2 last night. I tried to just update since it still said 8.1.2 but nope they stopped signing it wanted to update me straight to 8.1.3. :mad:

Now we need to find out if the jailbreak still works but highly doubt it

As of this moment, Apple is still signing 8.1.2, but you have to manually download the ipsw and do a shift+restore and select the 8.1.2 ipsw.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Looks like 8.1.3 kills the jailbreak. The Apple security article MuscleNerd points to mentions several bugs from both the Pangu and Taig jailbreaks. Get to. 8.1.2 while you still can!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 277

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Kills the jailbreak and doesn't fix the biggest bugs, such as wifi drops/sluggishness and third party keyboard problems. For pity's sake, Apple, if you truly want us to stop jailbreaking, start fixing this pile of ____ called iOS 8.

Be interesting to see if Taig or Pangu burns more exploits to JB 8.1.3, or if they do the sensible thing and wait for the release of 8.2.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Kills the jailbreak and doesn't fix the biggest bugs, such as wifi drops/sluggishness and third party keyboard problems. For pity's sake, Apple, if you truly want us to stop jailbreaking, start fixing this pile of ____ called iOS 8.

Interesting, that I've tried 8.0, 8.0.2, and 8.1.2 on my 4S, and have not encountered a single WiFi drop. Sluggishness, yes, but that is a given, since the 4S is at the bottom of the barrel now. I expect that. But no WiFi issues for me at all.

Be interesting to see if Taig or Pangu burns more exploits to JB 8.1.3, or if they do the sensible thing and wait for the release of 8.2.

Good question. But they are/were being paid for it, so who knows..

BL.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans

Yup! You declare which wifis are "safe" in the settings, and anytime youre connected it bypasses passwords. Actually it is also for devices with touchID. Im currently using it on my iPad Air 2! Its a very handy tweak, especially if you have a smart cover with a password enabled.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Looks like 8.1.3 kills the jailbreak. The Apple security article MuscleNerd points to mentions several bugs from both the Pangu and Taig jailbreaks. Get to. 8.1.2 while you still can!
Help where to download the firmware manually can someone help me? Argh

----------

Yup! You declare which wifis are "safe" in the settings, and anytime youre connected it bypasses passwords. Actually it is also for devices with touchID. Im currently using it on my iPad Air 2! Its a very handy tweak, especially if you have a smart cover with a password enabled.
So if you click the home button you're all of a sudden into your home screen? I've always looked for something like that will check it out

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Interesting, that I've tried 8.0, 8.0.2, and 8.1.2 on my 4S, and have not encountered a single WiFi drop. Sluggishness, yes, but that is a given, since the 4S is at the bottom of the barrel now. I expect that. But no WiFi issues for me at all.

The wifi bug(s) are definitely interesting this round. They don't affect everyone, they don't all track back to a single cause, and there's not an obvious, easily replicated pattern to them. So I do get that they probably aren't easy to fix.

But if you're affected by them, they're absolutely bugs that should be classed as showstoppers. Clean, set up as new installs don't fix them. They're there stock or jailbroken--the difference being that jailbroken, you have the option of using WiFried, which does help some folks even on 8.1.2. Some people have gone as far as replacing their routers, with mixed results.

I have them on both the 6 and the rMini. They're worse on the iPad. And they happen regardless of what wifi I'm on. At least with WiFried and the bits Apple did manage to fix on 8.1.2, the Mini went from "totally unusable" to "damn, this is annoying". But this is a device that had no wifi issues at all on 7.1.2. And my iphone 5, which is still on 7.1.2, continues to not have a problem. Even my original iPad, stuck at 5.1.1, doesn't drop its connection the way the iOS 8 devices do. It's pretty sad when a five year old device outperforms the brand new ones!

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Go to idownloadblog.com. They should have the firmware in the downloads section.
Thanks but pretty sure at this point they stopped signing it. I'll just stick with the jailbroken firmware I'm on right now which was the last Mac tool forget which one.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009

Thanks!
f.lux
Watchboard
Auxo 3
VirtualHome
iCleaner
Bloard
WiFried

f.lux alone is an absolutely critical reason to jailbreak.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Thanks but pretty sure at this point they stopped signing it. I'll just stick with the jailbroken firmware I'm on right now which was the last Mac tool forget which one.

As of right now, 8.1.2 is still being signed according to ipsw.me. There's still time to upgrade if you want.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
Maybe it's just me, but my air 2 can no longer install apps using the provisioning profile trick since updating to 8.1.3.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Ugh. I'm having huge problems with my phone. Can someone tell me which of these I should be downloading for my Sprint 5S? I thought it would be iPhone6,2_8.1.2_12B440_Restore.ipsw for 5s GSM+CDMA, but when I try to restore from that, it tells me it isn't compatible. My phone has been messed up for the past couple days (11GB of "other" leaving no room for my music) and I need to get this fixed before Apple stops signing.

Last edited:

iPhone20

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2014
Ugh. I'm having huge problems with my phone. Can someone tell me which of these I should be downloading for my Sprint 5S? I thought it would be iPhone6,2_8.1.2_12B440_Restore.ipsw for 5s GSM+CDMA, but when I try to restore from that, it tells me it isn't compatible. My phone has been messed up for the past couple days (11GB of "other" leaving no room for my music) and I need to get this fixed before Apple stops signing.

Using Sprint Verizon or AT&T is not the issue with ipsw compatibilty.
Check the model number at the back of your 5S. It should start with A and report it to me. I'll give you the link to the correct ipsw.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013

Well, if it's not 6,2 than 6,1 is the one you need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.