Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
I currently have an iPad Mini. I mainly use it to read documents and to do things on a device that is bigger than an iPhone but has awesome portability. Other than that, tablets are pretty much useless to me.

So since this new MacBook is more portable than ever, I was curious where soon-to-be owners stand on having both the 12" rMB and an iPad. It seems kind of silly to have both, although the iPad does serve its purpose.

Macs have always been my workhorse. I'm aware that you can get work done on an iPad, but I just always preferred using a desktop OS. With the iPhone getting bigger and the Mac getting smaller, I think it'd be interesting to see how many people give up their iPads.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I think this and apple watch will kill the tablets in next 5 years. Apple watch you can have with you almost everytime you have iphone, NOT so with the ipad where you need a bag or purse pr something to carry with you. And now with this macbook for an extra 2" you get a overall good laptop with desktop OS and keyboard built-in

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I believe that an iPad and a Macbook have two different purposes. People use their iPads for a variety of reasons and the same goes for their MacBooks. I, too, have an iPad Mini (2), and my sole reason for purchasing the device, is so that when I'm out and about (through transpiration, waiting rooms, etc), I can pull out my device and start reading books or surfing the web or play games on it. I would be more inclined to pull out my rMini than I would to pull out a Macbook, no matter how light it is. I just feel more safer with having an iPad out in the public than a very expensive laptop.

Bleh5

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
I am rethinking whether I need my iPad Air 2; considering trading for a iPad Mini after getting the MB.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
This is the interesting debate I'm having.

The MacBook isn't nearly powerful enough to be my main system, but I have a 15" rMBP that stays home docked as a desktop for my mail setup. I take my iPad and a Logitech Ultrathin keyboard cover to school to take notes, I use the iPad for causal web browing, games, and on-the-go productivity.

I'm really interested in the new MacBook. It seems like the perfect little casual and light productivity device I need. I'll lose out on some iPad apps and some games as well as the form factor, but I'm gaining OS X. I don't know, the tablet form factor can be a HUGE deal when reading and when in a crowded room. A laptop form factor can be awkward.

I'm really torn.

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
I currently have an iPad Mini. I mainly use it to read documents and to do things on a device that is bigger than an iPhone but has awesome portability. Other than that, tablets are pretty much useless to me.

So since this new MacBook is more portable than ever, I was curious where soon-to-be owners stand on having both the 12" rMB and an iPad. It seems kind of silly to have both, although the iPad does serve its purpose.

Macs have always been my workhorse. I'm aware that you can get work done on an iPad, but I just always preferred using a desktop OS. With the iPhone getting bigger and the Mac getting smaller, I think it'd be interesting to see how many people give up their iPads.

two different products for different needs. I tried to make my wife use the iMac and a PC laptop. She disliked both but with the iPad, she uses it a few hours each day and she loves it. I have an iPad & Macbook pro, the only things I use the iPad for is reading magazines (Zinio) or books. I sometime browse on it but prefer to browse my sites on a computer. On vacation, I bring my iPad only.

I don't like editing documents on the ipad.. I prefer the laptop, my wife prefer the iPad.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Depends on how wide your use case niche is (or how much money you have). There are people who can justify owning an iPad Air for the couch and an iPad Mini for the bed; in addition to iPhones, Macs and other devices.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
If it were $600 cheaper then it would. but at $1300 for those specs then (IMO) it's just too expensive to say an overlap between iPad and MacBook exists.

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
I use my iPad Mini primarily for reading, maps while hiking or traveling, and occasionally taking photos when doing things like shopping for furniture. A Macbook would be suitable for none of these things.

I will continue to use a laptop for my primary computing needs, but I don't see abandoning my iPad any time soon.

Rachel Faith

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Iowa
My 6 Plus has ended my use of a pad mini. I still use my 2nd gen ipad for some things. But this new MB is not a good fit for replacing my pad OR air.

Dubba

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2006
Nairobi, Kenya
Ideal Combo: 12MB & iPhone 6+/6S+/7+

I am currently using a 2011 13” MBA (1.7 i5 / 4GB / 256GB) + iPad Mini (16GB) + iPhone 5S (16GB).

My thinking is as follows:

I plan to order the new MB 1.2 / 512GB on the first day I can, as my MBA is in pretty bad shape. I also plan to replace my phone at some stage with a 6+, either when the “S” comes out, of if my phone holds out, then the 7+. At that point I will give the iPad Mini to my Mom and will not be buying one then.

Given the size and form factor of the 6+, I think that would be able to do everything on it at that I do on my iPad Mini, namely: take notes, draft e-mails, browse, and read on the Kindle app. With that in mind, I don’t see the need for the iPad Mini once I have a larger phone. My one concern, however, is that I use my phone on a Nike armband when running long races, and am not sure if the 6+ is fit for purpose for that… but then perhaps I can get the iWatch (although I am not sure I see the point just for that)? :)

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
The rMB is going to push me from full size iPad to iPad mini next time I do an iPad refresh, methinks. I have an iPad Air 2 now, and once I have the rMB the iPad really will be a pure consumption device for me, with much less emphasis on productivity.

Encom82

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
I am rethinking whether I need my iPad Air 2; considering trading for a iPad Mini after getting the MB.

Im in the exact same situation right now. The Air 2 is my first tablet and i love the thing to no end, but im struggling to see the point of having it and the new macbook at the same time.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
The reason I use my iPad over my 13" rMBP -- when I do use it -- is the form factor, not the weight of the laptop. So I can't see how having a thinner/lighter laptop would change anything.

My one concern, however, is that I use my phone on a Nike armband when running long races, and am not sure if the 6+ is fit for purpose for that… but then perhaps I can get the iWatch (although I am not sure I see the point just for that)? :)

I went from running with the 5 to running with the 6, and it's a step backwards, for that purpose. I'm sure the 6+ would be another step back. The apple watch is one possibility, but it's restricted to the accelerometer when an iphone isn't present (no onboard GPS), so accuracy is going to suffer. You might consider a dedicated GPS watch. There are some pretty good, relatively cheap options these days.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Yeah. Going to be a good while until I get one though.

My logical self keeps telling me to wait until revision 2, but I'm starting grad school in 3 months and I never make any "adventurous" purchases so I'm tempted to throw caution to the wind and get one unless tech reviews are less than favorable.

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
My iPad is fabulous for light work, emails and such and it's good for reading. I do a lot of reading and I don't fancy doing that on a laptop, might have to get a small kindle which is another concern as it just means more things to carry. The iPad was so useful for this but I need to be able to do proper work.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
My logical self keeps telling me to wait until revision 2, but I'm starting grad school in 3 months and I never make any "adventurous" purchases so I'm tempted to throw caution to the wind and get one unless tech reviews are less than favorable.

The nice thing is, Macs hold value reasonably well. You can always do an every year or every other year upgrade cycle, and sell the old one.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
I plan to use the iPad and MB in conjunction with one another. I will do primarily reading on the iPad.

Edit: that does not mean that I will necessarily carry them at the same time.

Last edited:

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC

The iPad is a mobile operating system. The laptop is a full desktop operating system. The two devices are not comparable. There are x50 more apps on the iPad than on the Mac.

catan

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2014
It has no place in my current array of devices, but I will be eyeing it however many generations ahead it takes for my rMBP 15" to finally burn out.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
I like bringing iPad to coffee shops where it lay almost flat on the table (Smart Cover). Almost like I don't have a device with me. It's more casual. More relaxed.

When I use a laptop, I'm doing work.

I have different mindsets on both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.