Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Any more opinions on this?

I'd love to hear arguments because I'm trying to decided between the iPad Air 3 and the new MacBook.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
It does for me. I have an iPad Air 2 and have attempted it to turn it into a productivity device, a substitute for my long gone MacBook Air. I haven't been successful. I have a Mac Pro for my heavy duty needs, but I am really jonesing to get this new MacBook to serve my portable writing productivity desires.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I agree - it's not the same. During the immediate aftermath of Sandy I actually had to use an iPad as my only computer for work and personal use. It was doable, certainly. It was not pleasant, and it was not efficient.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
Any more opinions on this?

I'd love to hear arguments because I'm trying to decided between the iPad Air 3 and the new MacBook.

The limitations of iOS make an iPad unsuitable for work, in my opinion. It CAN work for SOME things, but not everything-- and when you run into something, it can be maddening.

Take for example something very simple, such as copying information from one spreadsheet to another.

Sure, Excel for iPad is decent. But you can't have two workbooks open at once and switch between them! On iPad, you have to open one spreadsheet, copy, close it, open the other spreadsheet, paste, close that spreadsheet, open the first spreadsheet, copy, close it, open the 2nd spreadsheet, paste, etc.

Doing that once is frustrating. Having to do it more than once makes you just want to give up.

Plus there are all these little tiny workflows that are super fast and easy on OS X that are not quite as fast and easy on iOS. For example, on OS X it's really simple to drag a file to your desktop to save it, then open a new email, drag it from the desktop onto your draft, email it, then drag the file from the desktop to the trash can because you're done with it. On iOS, you have to open the original file in whatever app handles it, save it there, then initiate emailing or sharing that file from within that app, hope it emails as an attachment and not as a download link or whatever dropbox and one drive do, and so on.

It's a minor difference, say 3 mins instead of 1 minute. But those things build up over time. I have to work in OS X or I go crazy.

Soordhin

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Berlin, Germany
For my primary job i will have to continue to use the iPad Air 1, as the 60 million $ software is only approved on that (yes, we used to use a windows xp version, but that is on its way out). Although we may use it privately as well with a second itunes id i dont do and neither plan to do that.

For my secondary job and private use i will continue to use my retina iPad mini (and any performance upgrade to that) and instead of the MBAs i used to use the rMB on the road, at the office and at home both windows PCs and Mac Pros.

So i will usually carry either a combination of my iPad mini and an iPad Air or my iPad mini and one of my (future) rMBs. The mini is excellent for on the go email stuff, reading and if need be watching the odd tv show on a plane or train.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
The new macbook has nothing to do with the iPad other than it's made by Apple and you can build apps for the iPad with your the new macbook.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
Makes me wish for something like the Surface Pro. I find tablets to be a pain in the butt to get any kind of meaningful work done, it's like you have to trick it into letting it do what you want. :p There certainly is overlap between the two but the laptop really isn't comfortable to use on anything other than a desk.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I currently have an iPad Mini. I mainly use it to read documents and to do things on a device that is bigger than an iPhone but has awesome portability. Other than that, tablets are pretty much useless to me.

So since this new MacBook is more portable than ever, I was curious where soon-to-be owners stand on having both the 12" rMB and an iPad. It seems kind of silly to have both, although the iPad does serve its purpose.

Macs have always been my workhorse. I'm aware that you can get work done on an iPad, but I just always preferred using a desktop OS. With the iPhone getting bigger and the Mac getting smaller, I think it'd be interesting to see how many people give up their iPads.

I got an iPhone 6+ and don't plan to purchase an iPad because it fills my tablet needs.

My work can't be done on an iPad.

Last edited:

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
I still see MacBooks and iPads as fundamentally different machines for fundamentally different tasks. I tried to use an iPad for productivity and work, but it was too frustrating. But I love it for reading, web surfing, newsfeeds, photos and video, etc... For work, though, I need the full functionality of OS X and a full keyboard. I see the iPad as a great extension of my mac - so I'll create a document on the Mac, for example, and use the iPad for minor editing on the go. That may change with the ultra portability of the rMB, which I plan to snag. But I think I'll still use my iPad a lot for reading and surfing, etc...

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
Not a fan of iPad. I've had the mini and the regular size one. They are not easy to use, in my opinion. I'd rather pay a little more and get the MBA or MB. The new MacBook will probably be more easier to carry. Can't wait to see it in person. I'm still deciding on which to get.

I read a post on here how the tablet market is not doing too well. Maybe that could be another reason they came out with the MB? I don't know just a wild guess. :D

djbuu

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2015
I will actually be selling my iPad and putting the money toward the MacBook. Ever since I got the iPhone 6+, my iPad has been collecting dust.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Not a fan of iPad. I've had the mini and the regular size one. They are not easy to use, in my opinion. I'd rather pay a little more and get the MBA or MB. The new MacBook will probably be more easier to carry. Can't wait to see it in person. I'm still deciding on which to get.

I read a post on here how the tablet market is not doing too well. Maybe that could be another reason they came out with the MB? I don't know just a wild guess. :D

I think the issue is Apple's tablet is lagging big time... the OS looks almost identical to what it looked like 6 years ago when the iPad first came out.

Compare a Windows\Android tablet today with those that came out 5 years ago, and it's night and day... full OS, full versions of apps, full desktop-class experience, full keyboards and stylus options, much more customizable. And then you look at the iPad... in 5 years we've gotten FaceTime and minor OS tweaks, but nothing besides a retina screen that's compelled me to upgrade in the last 5 years.

That says a lot about why Apple's market has stagnated while other brands continue to grow. People want a tablet that can do everything\anything, and the Windows tablets just do a lot more. I love my iPad Mini Retina, but it's a glorified media player, nothing more. The only thing I use it for now is watching movies when I travel, and quite honestly, when the new macbook comes out that may just be the motivation I need to ditch my iPad all together. We'll have to see.

ByteTheBooty

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2015
I think the issue is Apple's tablet is lagging big time... the OS looks almost identical to what it looked like 6 years ago when the iPad first came out.

Compare a Windows\Android tablet today with those that came out 5 years ago, and it's night and day... full OS, full versions of apps, full desktop-class experience, full keyboards and stylus options, much more customizable. And then you look at the iPad... in 5 years we've gotten FaceTime and minor OS tweaks, but nothing besides a retina screen that's compelled me to upgrade in the last 5 years.

That says a lot about why Apple's market has stagnated while other brands continue to grow. People want a tablet that can do everything\anything, and the Windows tablets just do a lot more. I love my iPad Mini Retina, but it's a glorified media player, nothing more. The only thing I use it for now is watching movies when I travel, and quite honestly, when the new macbook comes out that may just be the motivation I need to ditch my iPad all together. We'll have to see.

I don't think ditching the iPad is good idea, personally, I feel that the iPad is not meant to be a working device..and I think that's why apple isn't changing it all that much...personally, I use my iMac for major work and my new MacBook for work on the go, but my iPad will always be my main entertainment device at home, Netflix, you tubes, games...I all do that that on my iPad. There's nothing better than ending ur day with an iPad while laying on your bed

I personally am happy with my iPad Air 2. I think having an iPhone, iPad, MacBook, iMac and soon Apple Watch is the best tech ecosystem

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I don't think ditching the iPad is good idea, personally, I feel that the iPad is not meant to be a working device..and I think that's why apple isn't changing it all that much...personally, I use my iMac for major work and my new MacBook for work on the go, but my iPad will always be my main entertainment device at home, Netflix, you tubes, games...I all do that that on my iPad. There's nothing better than ending ur day with an iPad while laying on your bed

The problem is the price to features ratio has become so skewed on Apple products. You can get other brands that are well built, and have full OS for the same price as the Apple iPad. And that's where people are beginning to question their usefulness. I think if they reduced the price on all of the models by $100-200, people would keep buying them, but I think the price drives people away.... because like you said, it's not a working device, it's really just an entertainment product.

ByteTheBooty

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2015
I don't think apple will come out with this 12inch iPad honestly...I feel that the other that are making bug tablets for "work" aren't particularly doing a great job...look at the surface pro, I personally found it uncomfortable to work on it when I tried it at the store.

A feel that if Apple puts it out they will have to do a major OS thing for it to be good

----------

The problem is the price to features ratio has become so skewed on Apple products. You can get other brands that are well built, and have full OS for the same price as the Apple iPad. And that's where people are beginning to question their usefulness. I think if they reduced the price on all of the models by $100-200, people would keep buying them, but I think the price drives people away.... because like you said, it's not a working device, it's really just an entertainment product.

You're right, if the Air 2 started with 64gb and at like 400$ people would buy them like crazy....but that's never going to happen

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I don't think apple will come out with this 12inch iPad honestly...I feel that the other that are making bug tablets for "work" aren't particularly doing a great job...look at the surface pro, I personally found it uncomfortable to work on it when I tried it at the store.

A feel that if Apple puts it out they will have to do a major OS thing for it to be good

----------

You're right, if the Air 2 started with 64gb and at like 400$ people would buy them like crazy....but that's never going to happen

Yeah, well there is a huge segment out there of businesses with traveling and non-traveling salesmen that tablets are great for ... they spend their time sending\receiving emails, using salesforce, and editing pre-fab sales presentations and templates. They absolutely do not need a full laptop, and many companies are going to tablets for this reason. It's such a misconception that people need all that computing power. Most professions can operate on a basic tablet with a keyboard. Apple is completely missing the boat because their tablets are so crippled. I see more and more non-Apple tablets when I fly lately. I would be able to cut out a device if Apple made a tablet with a full OS. I don't necessarily need a keyboard built in, but the option needs to be there, and more importantly, I need to be able to drag a file into an email, or save something to my desktop, etc... something most tablets offer that Apple doesn't.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Before this new rMB, I was back and forth with iPads for years. I would buy and sell after 3-4 months because the iPad were just was not meeting my needs/wants etc. It's just not economical either. You could buy an MBA for the price of a souped up iPad and accessories (and almost spend enough to buy the new rMB.)

Should I jump for the rMB this will also inspire me to keep my iPhone 6 for the full two years rather than spending another grand on a 6+ early next year too.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
My iPad simply cannot allow me to accomplish what I want it to. I desire something small and light like the iPad but with actual functionality. I think the rMB will tick those boxes. My 15" rMBP is often too large and cumbersome carrying around everywhere all day.

Alloy201

Suspended
Mar 13, 2015
Janice8382

It really comes down to what kind of work or tasks you're doing. How much money you're looking to spend could be another factor. The iPad is just a tablet, the rMB is an actual computer. You can get things done with an iPad, but the rMB is the all around better option. The rMP is tiny so size isn't a factor at all.

Last edited:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
My iPad simply cannot allow me to accomplish what I want it to. I desire something small and light like the iPad but with actual functionality. I think the rMB will tick those boxes. My 15" rMBP is often too large and cumbersome carrying around everywhere all day.

You're not concerned about redundancy of owning two Macs or trying to keep them in sync?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Macbook needs to be more like the Surface Pro with detachable keyboard to eliminate the iPad otherwise, for example, it's awkward to lie on the sofa surfing with device on chest and keyboard in throat and no touch screen. Not surprised though since Apple doesn't like cannibalizing its products and would rather you buy three products to do the function of one.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I would say that the new MacBook has no affect on my perception of the iPad. I wouldn't see it affecting the iPad

The new MacBook does create less interest in Apple laptops for me though. I'm still waiting for them to produce a laptop that meets my needs and is priced at a point that feels reasonable to me. I don't see any indication that Apple is heading that direction.

As for the iPad, I have never been able to see a need or desire for it. My iPhone does everything it can do, and is more portable. And the iPhone is dual purpose.

For things that require more than I can do with the iPhone, a computer is more practical than simply getting a larger version of the iPhone that lacks calling features.

MacsandCheese

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2015
Definitely eliminates the want of an iPad for me.

I will be waiting to see what the performance and overall experiences are before I jump though.

mikeydooodie

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
i'm having this debate as well i have a 2011 mbp. its starting to slow up and lag, i also have 1st gen iPad mini which again is slowing up with tons of lag and my phone is a 6+. i don't know if i should just get a new iPad air or the new rMB.

im so used to using a computer while home i don't think i could ditch the computer to use an iPad full time. i feel millennials, aka the same people who won't be using cable, are the people who could use an iPad as a full time machine.

when i can go into the apple store to try out the new rMB ill make my decision but its gonna be rough

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.