Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

os_x_yosemite_round_icon.jpg
Apple today seeded the third beta of OS X Yosemite to developers, almost a month after seeding the first OS X 10.10.3 beta and a week after releasing OS X 10.10.3 to public beta testers.

The new beta, build 14D98g, is available for registered developers through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store and through the Mac Dev Center. Apple has also released OS X Server 4.1 for developers.

According to the release notes, today's 10.10.3 beta includes developer APIs for the new Force Touch trackpad in the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro and the upcoming Retina MacBook, which will allow developers to create apps that take advantage of Force Touch.

There's also a new feature that adds additional data sources when using "Look Up." When right-clicking on a highlighted word, Look Up will now search iTunes, App Store, movie showtimes, nearby locations, and more, in addition to the dictionary. Sources included in Look Up can be customized in Preferences. Currently, the feature is buggy on some machines, causing the keyboard to stop working.

lookupnewdatasourcesios83.jpg
Earlier betas of OS X 10.10.3 have brought several new features to Yosemite, including the new Photos for OS X app. Designed to integrate with iCloud Photo Library, Photos for OS X is a replacement for both iPhoto and Aperture and is on track to see an early 2015 public launch. Reviews have suggested that while Photos is a suitable replacement for iPhoto, with more advanced tools and performance optimizations, it may leave professional users disappointed.

Along with the new Photos for OS X app, the first two OS X 10.10.3 betas introduced a redesigned emoji picker that consolidates emoji into a single page with clear labels, new diversified emoji and emoji skin tone modifiers, new flag emoji and updated emoji for the iPhone, iMac, and Apple Watch, and support for Google 2-step verification when setting up accounts in System Preferences.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite Beta to Developers

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
thank god there are more diverse emojis now. i can finally sleep at night.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Hopefully, this beta fixes "mds" process running at close to 100% CPU all the time. That and WiFi still not working properly.

EDIT:

Yay, "mds" is no longer wonky!

Last edited:

netsped

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
I hope they'll also release a new PB... Mail is really messed up. Deleted mail reappears, trash won't empty, Gmail accounts keeps asking for credentials, other mail accounts don't synchronize mail status (read, flagged) and if they do, it happens up to 20 minutes later.

AnsonX10

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
4/20
There are no emojis with my skin color AND hair color. I feel discriminated against! I'll never buy another Apple product. They discriminate against my people!

alexclst

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
Saint Paul, MN
Any public beta testers confirm if there is a new version for us as well? Photos crashes on startup constantly for me on the first public beta

They haven't released a PB version of this update yet (I just checked in the Mac App Store). My guess is that sometime in the next week we'll see one come through.

bryanzak

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2002
Great, now fix iCloud Photo Library.

What's to fix? I've been testing it with two separate libraries (using different Apple IDs and old devices of course) and iCloud Photo Library appears to be perfect. One library has around 30,000 photos and the other around 750. Both match between the Mac the iPads.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Ever since the event, multiple accounts have been saying "Preparing Library" again, despite no changes in the library.

Interesting. Haven't had that issue. Could it have been related to the downtime they had yesterday?

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
Now if they could re-assign some of those emoji engineers to the networking side... fixing mDNSResponder/discoveryd would be a good start.

opendirectoryd has been updated in this recent build. Hang at login looks like it's been fixed.

spiezer

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2009
Broke Mailbox for me. I'll make do for now.

It was also a bit unstable after I updated the OS but a reboot fixed it right up.

Older version on the mailbox website works. Yippee!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.