Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with the Finder on 10.10.3. It doesn't open when I click the Finder's dock icon when I have no Finder windows open. If I have one or more, it goes to that window normally.

When I click the icon with no windows open, the Finder context menu shows (in the top menubar), but not the window itself.

This only started happening with 10.10.3, both dev and public beta (I tried both).

Anyone else have this issue?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with the Finder on 10.10.3. It doesn't open when I click the Finder's dock icon when I have no Finder windows open. If I have one or more, it goes to that window normally.

When I click the icon with no windows open, the Finder context menu shows (in the top menubar), but not the window itself.

This only started happening with 10.10.3, both dev and public beta (I tried both).

Anyone else have this issue?

works normally here. not sure what the fix is, perhaps move com.apple.finder.plist from the user library preferences to the desktop, reboot? just a thought...

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Thanks, I deleted all the .plists regarding com.apple.finder, rebooted and that did the trick. :)

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
I had exactly the same problem after installing 10.10.3. I tried every thing i cloud think of to fix this but in the end I had to a fresh install.

OR make a new use account!!

feedback to apple with finder logs so they can fix this!

Hrhnick

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2013
Same issue here,
Finder won't open from clicking on the dock on my Mac Mini 2014 running 10.10.3. Works on a new user account. Issue persists even after deleting the finder plist.
Interestingly the issue is non existent on my 2014 Macbook Pro.

ian2000

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
Same issue here,
Finder won't open from clicking on the dock on my Mac Mini 2014 running 10.10.3. Works on a new user account. Issue persists even after deleting the finder plist.
Interestingly the issue is non existent on my 2014 Macbook Pro.

Exactly the same for me on my iMac 5k (but not on my 2014 MacBook Pro). I have the developer preview (14D87h) installed which didn't have this problem initially. I've tried the public beta, but the issue persists. Deleting the Finder plist didn't resolve it for me either.

Last edited:

ian2000

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
I tried the suggested fix again, and this time it worked. There were several instances of com.apple.finder.plist in /users/myname/Library/Preferences (all but one were older files with various characters after the filename). I deleted these in turn until no further instances of com.apple.finder.plist appeared, then I rebooted. Most of the Finder preferences were remembered, but I had to reorganise a few desktop icons.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007

Last edited:

jaredmac

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
Tried the mentioned fixes and it didn't work for me. I can still open Finder by right-click/New Finder Window. Any other possible fixes?

orioncrystalice

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
Direct single click won't open it but "New Finder Window" option still works from dock.

I'll try dumping that .plist when I'm back home.

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
London
.plist delete didn't help me. Just clicking on finder dock now then doing CMD + N to open a new window. Id imagine next DP will fix this.

deimien

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
Deleting .plist files (finder and dock) and restarting did the trick for me.
Problem started on my late 2012 iMac but not on my mid 2011 MBA.

andy4852

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2015
I looked into a folder /Users/<name>/Library/Preferences and I've found two files: com.apple.finder.plist and com.apple.finder.plist.[some letters].

I've deleted both files, restarted and now clicking Finder icon it finally opens the window.

Before that I tried restarting Finder, Dock, WindowServer and I've deleted com.apple.finder.plist several times.

Only deleting both files and restart did the trick, I hope that will help you too.
Small thing, but very annoying :)

Last edited:

Ardaf

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2015
Hi guys,

Same problem here, but when i tried to delete plist file i need to do a few times until the file stop appear again, then i empty my trash and reboot. Just when i do that my problem solved.

Tks

Bigads

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
Here
Many hanks for the advice. It did the trick.

I do feel guilty though as the problem first appeared when my fiancé was using my Macbook so I blamed her for the issue and didn't inform her that I was running a beta version of OSX10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.