Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Airboy1466

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2015
So I’ve been looking at the new rMB these past few days and realized that its only .4 inches larger that the 11 inch mba

And I was thinking that maybe next year apple will discontinue the current MBA and make a 13.3 inch rMB with more ports and better camera and larger battery because of the extra space and they significantly lower the price

Also why do you guys think the new rMB cost so much

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Because it's new. and flat. and only has one weird port. and a mobile processor. and comes in gold with a 480p camera.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
So I’ve been looking at the new rMB these past few days and realized that its only .4 inches larger that the 11 inch mba

And I was thinking that maybe next year apple will discontinue the current MBA and make a 13.3 inch rMB with more ports and better camera and larger battery because of the extra space and they significantly lower the price

Also why do you guys think the new rMB cost so much

The rMB has 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD standard. Adding that stuff to an MBA brings its price up so it's not too far from the price of the rMB. And the rMB has a better screen. And it has a new, redesigned keyboard, touchpad, and battery and manufacturing processes for these might not be very cost effective yet.

I'm not saying the rMB is better but its price isn't completely unjustifiable.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I can't see apple selling a retina 13" MB mostly because they sell a MBA in that form factor and two MBPs in the 13" form factor (classic and retina). Talk about a crowded field, if they offered a 13" MB as well.

Personally, I think there's way too much product overlap as it stands. Do we really need 11" and 12" laptops, three 13" laptop models, and a 15" laptop model. Granted they're split up among three product lines, but still, its quite excessive.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Yep, the rMP should end up replacing the 11 and 13 MBA and that will make a much clearer line up.

imoxja

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2013
Alabama
My opinion is that they made the 12" so that 11" and 13" Air owners would have a new option for when they get rid of the Air line. I personally think the same might happen by them releasing a new baseline 4" iPhone and keep the 4.7" and 5.4" as the "Pro" line of the iPhone's. But I extremely believe that making a new 13" rMB would be excessive.

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015
My opinion is that they made the 12" so that 11" and 13" Air owners would have a new option for when they get rid of the Air line. I personally think the same might happen by them releasing a new baseline 4" iPhone and keep the 4.7" and 5.4" as the "Pro" line of the iPhone's. But I extremely believe that making a new 13" rMB would be excessive.

didn't they mention in the macbook video that the they chose 12" because that is the entire width of the keyboard?

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I think a 14" and 16" make more sense IMO. If size is the differentiator then may as well make the size a big enough difference for people to want the higher end device.

gregvet

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2008
Brighton, UK
re size

I believe they will introduce a 14" Macbook retina, which will be the version with extra USBC ports (and perhaps an SD card reader). This will be possible because the keyboard doesnt go right to the edges of the main body in the larger version.

I suspect those hoping for extra ports on the 12" version could be waiting for some time tho.

Once the 14" version is introduced and the prices come down, bye bye MBA.

Then there will be 12", 13", 14" and 15" macbooks.

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
I suspect that the 12" rMB will take the place of the MBA line, wich Apple will phase out over the next few years, as they improve the CPU/GPU specs of the rMB. This will leave the low end of the macbook line represented by the ultra-portable, predominantly wireless rMB, and the higher end (for power users) will consist of the rMPB lineup.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
didn't they mention in the macbook video that the they chose 12" because that is the entire width of the keyboard?

Yup. It's all about creating the smallest laptop possible without sacrificing a full-size keyboard and other things. While a 14" rMB does have potential, I personally wouldn't be interested in it. It's either 12" or 13" for me. I think a bigger rMB loses what it's supposed to be about in the first place.

Alloy201

Suspended
Mar 13, 2015
Apple should scrap the MBA going forward and just have two models. If they bump up the power a bit more on the rMB and add a 14" version it would be awesome.

12" rMB
14" rMB
13" rMBP
15" rMBP

That's how Apple's lineup should be going forward.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
Apple should scrap the MBA going forward and just have two models. If they bump up the power a bit more on the rMB and add a 14" version it would be awesome.

12" rMB
14" rMB
13" rMBP
15" rMBP

That's how Apple's lineup should be going forward.

I disagree. Apple needs to get back into the 17 inch laptop race. Every other major manufacturer has at least one (some have dozens) and its embarrassing Apple does not. They can keep the 11 inch Air, have a 12 and 13 inch rMB and a 15 and 17 inch rMBP.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
I think Apple will keep the MBAs around for a bit much like the non-retina MBP's but will scrap it once the rMB can compete in price and performance. A 14" would be great and is almost guaranteed in my mind. One screen size does not fit all and I don't think a 10" would make much sense.

I actually wanted a 15" MBA but unfortunately Apple went the other way and offered an 11". I know many people who got the 15" rMBP simply because they wanted a 15" notebook (they are all fortunate enough to have the money to make that type of decision). After using my 13" MBA, I could personally use more screen real estate but don't necessarily need any more power.

Alloy201

Suspended
Mar 13, 2015
I think Apple will keep the MBAs around for a bit much like the non-retina MBP's but will scrap it once the rMB can compete in price and performance. A 14" would be great and is almost guaranteed in my mind. One screen size does not fit all and I don't think a 10" would make much sense.

I actually wanted a 15" MBA but unfortunately Apple went the other way and offered an 11". I know many people who got the 15" rMBP simply because they wanted a 15" notebook (they are all fortunate enough to have the money to make that type of decision). After using my 13" MBA, I could personally use more screen real estate but don't necessarily need any more power.

I totally agree on the size with you. I currently have a late 2011 15" MBP and it's annoying to carry around. It's obviously not back breaking, but it's pretty bulky compared to today's standards. I need something different and that's why I am buying the rMB. I wish it was a 14", but I will take what I can get. We most likely won't see a 14" version until next year, if we even do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.