Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tx26257

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
Guys I'm sorry if this something I should know or already discussed but is the SSD replacable I know the ram is not. I did a search but found nothing

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Guys I'm sorry if this something I should know or already discussed but is the SSD replacable I know the ram is not. I did a search but found nothing

The days of going to your local CompUSA and picking up sticks of RAM for your laptop have been over for some time (yeah yeah, I know some people still have old laptops and there are exceptions, but non-upgradable IS the new norm in the industry).

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
Are you sure about that? I haven't seen anything about the SSD, and the rMB is not in anyone's hands yet.

From the internal pictures that Apple featured in the keynote (and website), I believe that all components are incorporated onto that new logic board that is 67% smaller than the MBA 11". The only things in the chassis are the battery array, the force trackpad, and that logic board. I believe that means that the SSD, RAM and CPU are all soldered down and non replaceable or upgradable.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Here's a quote from Cunningham's hands-on at Ars. Doesn't count as a primary source but he's usually careful and accurate.

As Apple said, to make the system this small it had to make the logic board tiny. It’s even more tightly integrated (and less upgradeable) than the current MacBook Airs. Everything from the RAM to the CPU to the SSD is soldered to the motherboard—while intrepid MacBook Air owners can at least open up their laptops and swap out the drive, the new MacBook will have the specs you order it with forever. RAM starts and ends at 8GB, and you can get either a 256GB or 512GB SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.