Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft on Tuesday announced the Surface 3 tablet with Windows 8.1, available in May for a starting price of $499. The latest iPad competitor is designed to be a complete laptop replacement, running full Windows, including desktop applications, and delivering all-day battery life. Surface 3 also includes a quad-core 1.6GHz Intel Atom processor, a significant shift from ARM processors used in previous models.

Microsoft-Surface-3.png
Surface 3 comes with 64GB storage and 2GB of RAM for $499, while a 128GB option with 4GB of RAM costs $599. Both Wi-Fi only and 4G LTE models are available. The tablet also features a 10.8" Full HD display at 1,920×1,280 pixels resolution, full-size USB 3.0 port, Mini DisplayPort, microSD card reader, headphone jack, cover port, micro USB charging port, Bluetooth 4.0 and three-position kickstand. The tablet will receive a free upgrade to Windows 10 when available and includes a one-year Office 365 subscription.

The base model Surface 3 in 64GB and 128GB options is available for pre-order now through Microsoft's website for delivery starting the first week of May, while the 4G LTE models are listed as shipping by June 26th. The tablet includes a 1-year limited hardware warranty. Type Covers are a $130 add-on, and Surface pens are available in blue, red, black, and original silver.

Microsoft's new Surface 3 joins the existing Surface Pro 3, starting at $799. The professional tablet rivals the MacBook Air with a 12" Full HD display at 2,160×1,440 pixels resolution, Intel Core i3, i5 or i7 processor, up to 9 hours of web browsing, full-size USB 3.0 port, Mini DisplayPort, microSD card reader, two 5-megapixel HD cameras on the front and back, Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop and more.

Article Link: Microsoft Announces Intel Atom-Based Surface 3 With Windows 8.1 for $499

JakeJLF

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2014
Os x?

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Microsoft on Tuesday announced the Surface 3 tablet with Windows 8.1, available in May for a starting price of $499. The latest iPad competitor is designed to be a laptop replacement, running full Windows, including desktop applications, and delivering all-day battery life. Surface 3 comes with 64GB storage and 2GB of RAM for $499, while a 128GB option with 4GB of RAM costs $599. Both Wi-Fi only and 4G LTE models are available.

Surface 3 is powered by a quad-core 1.6GHz Intel Atom processor, a significant shift from ARM processors used in previous models. The tablet also features a 10.8" full HD display at 1,920×1,280 pixels resolution, full-size USB 3.0 port, Mini DisplayPort, microSD card reader, headphone jack, cover port, micro USB charging port, Bluetooth 4.0 and three-position kickstand. The tablet will receive a free upgrade to Windows 10 when available, and includes a one-year Office 365 subscription to use Word, PowerPoint, Excel and more.

YouTube: video
The base model Surface 3 in 64GB and 128GB options is available for pre-order now through Microsoft's website for delivery starting the first week of May, while the 4G LTE models are listed as shipping by June 26th. The tablet includes a 1-year limited hardware warranty. More detailed hardware specifications and general information about the tablet is available on the Surface 3 product page.

Article Link: Microsoft Announces Intel Atom-Based Surface 3 With Windows 8.1 for $499

If you can dual boot OS X on this, I would want it.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Very cool product, and I know beggers can't be choosers, but this would be UBER competitive if it had a retina display and double the RAM at that price... But even though the entry level model competes with the iPad on price, I don't want a Windows machine with 2GB of RAM, and I think it should have a retina display.

oopsroger

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2013
For $499, this looks delicious.

Actually, if it weren't for Mac's superb build quality, I would be happy to migrate to Windows again.

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
Why not.
I'd expect them to wait till Windows 10 is out, but it's no biggie I guess, the upgrade will be free and I'd assume they will be shipping it with 10 as soon as it's out.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
Let me admit my bias up front: I despise Microsoft. I literally passed up the chance to walk across the street and hear Bill Gates speak.

That said, I have to admit: These folks are persistent.

I guess I can admire the marketing tenacity without admiring the product or the company.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
1 month after I spent $1000 on my surface pro for work. It's a much better machine, but $499 is a great basic deal. But when all is said and done, I hate windows.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
With Apple's ipad largely failing to meet the productivity needs of professionals, a device such as this can fill the void for those of us needing full-fledged software. iPad's are still the superior choice for families and casuals.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Hmm.. tempting. The nicest Surface yet. And super value.

Not as light or thin as an iPad, but with the pen and full MS Office, this is an intriguing package.

randymac09

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2014
Maryland
Like others have said, the price point is impressive for what they're offering. But if you look at it from their end, the Surface hasn't sold well at all. So instead of marking it at a higher price and waisting millions (or billions) of dollars on an unused/unsold product, maybe they're jus trying to go in at a lower price so they don't suffer as great of a loss this time. Just a thought.

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
I can't wait for the Atom based MacBook Air
:apple:

Patience is the virtue that allows the user to immerse in the experience. We decided to outfit the entry level Macs with Atoms so to elicit patience as a merit to those who refuse to fork the cash for our state-the-art tier.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
too bad it doesn't use USB-C then at least I would have confidence that that standard would be adopted in the near future

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
The resolution comes in at 214ppi by my calculations.*

That's not far off the 264ppi of the retina iPad2.

* sqrt(1920^2 + 1280^2) / 10.8

Larvas

macrumors regular
May 15, 2014
Berlin
I don't see the point of a full desktop OS on a device with 2GB of RAM. I'm having problems with Windows 8 on a 4 gb machine, I can only imagine what it would be on the Surface.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
scary

I'm surprised by this because now microsoft controls hardware development, I've never seen windows 8.1 run well on 2gb of ram, even 4 gb has been almost unusable.

So while the price is right, the experience might be horrible. There are a lot of variables I know but I just haven't seen it done. So why would they risk giving new customers a bad experience....

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
Very cool product, and I know beggers can't be choosers, but this would be UBER competitive if it had a retina display and double the RAM at that price... But even though the entry level model competes with the iPad on price, I don't want a Windows machine with 2GB of RAM, and I think it should have a retina display.

Agreed that 2GB RAM is a bit on the skimpy side. To be fair though, the next bump up offers 4GB at $599, which still falls within the price range of iPad ($499 - $829).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.