Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edgr.sanchez

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
You are totally right, Microsoft really never got the memo on mobile devices, and that they are NOT the same thing as desktop computers. There is a reason why Macs run OS X and the iPad and iPhone run iOS, Macs and mobile devices are fundamentally different animals. Yes, the two OSs share the same Darwin core, but they are used in different ways (touch for iOS, mouse and keyboard for OS X), and so Apple has developed them along distinct paths.

Hence why Windows 8/8.1/10 include a Desktop mode, meant for keyboard/mouse on a large screen. "The old way".

Then it also includes the Windows Start screen or whatever they call it these days. Big tiles, app store, touch friendly. Meant for tablets and touch screen devices.

Then they have Windows Phone OS, for the small devices like smartphones.

It's not really that hard.

At least they've managed to make a single OS for desktop and for tablets (even though they had a very rough start).

I'm just looking forward to Windows 10. I think it'll be a game changer.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Let me admit my bias up front: I despise Microsoft. I literally passed up the chance to walk across the street and hear Bill Gates speak.

That said, I have to admit: These folks are persistent.

I guess I can admire the marketing tenacity without admiring the product or the company.

Wonder why they'll keep doing this in a saturated market?

Looking forward to the Microsoft watch.

Euge

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2006
The problem with Microsoft is the fact they keep clinging to old technology and wants everyone to use computers the same old way. Basically, they won't give up on Windows and alter in ways it needs to be. Perfect example is the fact that this model will come with 64 GB or so but the fact that over time Windows updates will hog up all the space. The WinSXS folder will keep piling up with monthly patches until someone with technical experience cleans it up for the end user.

Microsoft still doesn't get it and never will.

You are totally right, Microsoft really never got the memo on mobile devices, and that they are NOT the same thing as desktop computers. There is a reason why Macs run OS X and the iPad and iPhone run iOS, Macs and mobile devices are fundamentally different animals. Yes, the two OSs share the same Darwin core, but they are used in different ways (touch for iOS, mouse and keyboard for OS X), and so Apple has developed them along distinct paths.

Ever since the Surface first came out I keep wondering to myself what has really changed? Microsoft came out with the first tablet over a decade ago. It was Windows on a tablet and it failed. What is so different about the Surface? The keyboard? A stylus? What will make it successful this time around?

I don't think better technology can simply make something that was a failure and turn it into a success. What's that Einstein saying ... insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. At the core I don't think the Surface is much different than what they did before. Just in a prettier wrapper with more bells and whistles.

That said, I do hear good things about it. But for it to be a blow away success, they need to rethink their approach. This is why I believe if Apple did something similar, it can potentially disrupt this market again. Of course, everyone will say that Apple just copies and people are being sheep. But I do believe it's recognizing this subtle difference between doing what Microsoft has already done and doing it differently/better is what will bring us to the next generation of tablet devices.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I haven't owned a Windows Machine for years (sure I run a couple of VM's of XP, 7, and 8.1 for testing purposes), but I am really intrigued by this. Really considering the $599 model.... I need to look at the specs to determine, but the new Atoms are much more powerful than the old Netbook days (and yes I had one).

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Compared to the new Macbook this price is impressive. But to compare it to the ipad is wrong right now since iOS is the competitive OS for Windows, OSX is.

Apple really needs to do something with iOS on iPad, it's no different then a big phone. Great for casual we browsing and cat videos not so much for getting work done.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
This runs full Windows.

One huge problem with the previous *non-"Pro"* Surfaces is that they couldn't run 99.99% of the Windows software out there.

64GB storage and 2GB RAM is a joke on a Windows machine, so you'd want the $599 model with 128 and 4 (still tiny but workable).

It's seems like a good entry-point if you want a tablet that runs Windows and can convert to a laptop *in a pinch*.

My impressions are:
- it's mediocre as a pure tablet
- but it runs Windows and all the Windows apps
- and it has a real stylus
- realistically, it's a crappy laptop: it's a netbook-level device with an awkward kickstand and a tiny keyboard/trackpad
- it's quite pricey considering it as only a tablet or only a netbook. (I think you're going to need the $599 one plus whatever the keyboard cover costs.) But you'd be hard-pressed to buy an equivalent one of each for this price, not to mention the convenience of one device vs. two.

However: the user experience with the pen, keyboard and trackpad is unknown. E.g., if's those are weak, this just becomes a big, heavy, expensive Windows tablet.

Also unknown is the real battery life. I read the marketing materials and they make a 10 hour battery life claim and then immediately qualify it. That's not a good sign.

Conclusion: Pending the unknowns, it looks like MS probably hasn't made a mobile device that's almost totally useless!

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Well that's equally as insane as hating or loving Samsung or Apple or whoever. they genuinely don't give a monkeys about you.

Why waste your energy in hating a company that make and pushes technology forward even if you don't want to buy that particular brand / tech. I don't like Windows, but I love the xBox. I don't like Samsung phone interfaces but love their chips in my iPhone or the chips in my Fridge Freezer.

I ask this question whenever I read these boards. Why people have such personal attachments to massive, money-grabbing, multinational companies is beyond me.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Looks great...I've been using OS X for so long though, I don't think I could switch to Windows...

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Very cool product, and I know beggers can't be choosers, but this would be UBER competitive if it had a retina display and double the RAM at that price... But even though the entry level model competes with the iPad on price, I don't want a Windows machine with 2GB of RAM, and I think it should have a retina display.

This is essentially a retina display, it is 213 PPI, retina iPad is 264 PPI, not really that noticeable of a difference, as this screen is larger so you would have it further from your face than an iPad. I agree on the RAM though, but for $100 more you double the RAM and storage...which for a 128GB iPad you are already paying $699, $100 more.

At $500, this thing has the potential to really hurt the iPad and Mac sales to students. It can use a surface pen to have accurate handwriting/drawing for notes, has an awesome keyboard cover (Considerably worse than any mac keyboard/trackpad, but way better compared to everything for the iPad)

If they offer student pricing on this ($500 with keyboard cover would be ideal) they will have a really good shot at taking the college student market from Apple, which is a huge part of their business.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I'm surprised by this because now microsoft controls hardware development, I've never seen windows 8.1 run well on 2gb of ram, even 4 gb has been almost unusable.

My Lenovo Lynx has 2 GB, and it runs fine even with, for example, eight browser tabs open.

teknishn

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2006
Windows 10 (supposedly) will have a much smaller footprint than 8.1: http://arstechnica.com/information-...bytes-with-selective-system-file-compression/

Windows 10 might take up as much as 12 GB (less compression of files) on a Surface with more storage. It can take up as little of 4 GB, I believe (on a tablet with 16GB of storage, for example).

I will believe it when I see it. Granted we are still in beta etc, but I have the very latest Windows 10 running, and its taking up 24gb of space as a bare OS with zero apps installed. Simply slapping the office 2016 preview on there will further wipe out another truckload of disk space.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
That thing is huge. How much does it weigh?

1.37 lbs.

With the Type Cover @ 0.58 lbs, the total comes out to 1.95 lbs.

Just a hair lighter than the new MacBook, though the Surface 3 has a 10.8" screen vs the MacBook's 12" screen.

Knocklaun

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2015
Cork
Nice

I have to admit, I don't like Microsoft in any way but I do admire them. I feel with declining iPads sales Apple needs to amalgamate the iPad and MacBooks into one. I love the idea that when you take the keyboard off this it's a tablet and pop a keyboard on and it's a full laptop. Apple could still keep both iOS and OS X but have it change as soon as you add a keyboard. In my heart of hearts I feel this is what they are working on in their labs but when we're going to see this I'm not sure.

JuryDuty

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
Texas
I had a Surface and it's quite a nice machine. This price point may actually give it a chance. Impressive!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I literally passed up the chance to walk across the street and hear Bill Gates speak.

I understand disliking Windows and a variety of other things Microsoft does to try and lock you into their ecosystem (although you should recognize that Apple similarly tries to lock you into theirs), but what's wrong with Bill Gates? He and Steve Jobs were friends in the end, and Bill Gates is a pretty sharp and good guy. I'd regret passing on the chance to hear him speak, given the opportunity to listen to him that you were.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
$499 is a good price.
Is there a flavour of Linux I could pave this with that would support the touch screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.