Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
Just placed a preorder, and expecting it next week.

http://www.bestskinsever.com/macbook-12-inch

Will update with pics when it comes in.

Wait its clear matte? Or black matte lol.

Never mind i just read its "invisible". Forgive me its late and I'm tired :)

I might get one of these for my 2015 MBPR, i hate putting a "case" on the laptop. But i just want to avoid scratches. Or when my little 5lb yorkie decides to hop on the bed and trample over it lol. Nothing like a matte finish, beats gloss EVERY TIME!

Last edited:

Bleh5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Yeah, I love the matte. I've had it on two iPads, two iPhones, and a MBA.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
I was considering it till I read "The trade off, however, is a reduction of the sharpness of the screen". I'll pass.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
Who's putting it on the screen? This is for the body.

People who also want to protect their screen? Arguably the most important part of the computer. Guess I don't have to use theirs but how are the body covers? Easy to apply?

Last edited:

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
They are pretty straight forward. It the same as Ghost Armor that you find in the malls. YouTube the application process.

The only thing I would like to me is a cutout for the apple logo.

That's the one thing I loved about my iCarbon skins.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Thanks, I have been checking their website for these. I have a matte set on my rMBP and it's been great. Just ordered the same set for the rMB. The accuracy of the skins is great and the matte finish is pretty close to the original metal finish.

BSE-Michael

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
Hey guys, thanks for the post. I wanted to chime in and let you know we've since added more photos on the site. I'll check back and answer any questions too. Hopefully I'm not stepping on any forum rules here.

Just to clarify an earlier concern, the Macbook Skins are body protection kits and don't include screen coverage. It's an option we're looking to add but with different, more appropriate film.

We're also considering adding a kit with Skins for each key on the keyboard if there's enough interest. Admittedly a bit fussy but the keyboard would look brand new upon removal and really improve resale value if that's important to you.

Thanks.

Michael @ BSE

nj-mac-user

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
TX
People who also want to protect their screen? Arguably the most important part of the computer. Guess I don't have to use theirs but how are the body covers? Easy to apply?

If it were a touch screen display I'd understand... but its not. Also, do you really want to do that after hearing about "staingate"? Seems adhesives could be a contributing factor to the peeling of the antiglare coating.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I bought a full coverage kit, with the palm rest covers, for the rMB. Apple's web site discourages this on the rMBP because they say it can come into contact with the screen. I haven't had this happen with my rMBP and assume the same will be true with the rMB. USPS tracking says the skin for my rMB is out for delivery. ;)

----------

If it were a touch screen display I'd understand... but its not. Also, do you really want to do that after hearing about "staingate"? Seems adhesives could be a contributing factor to the peeling of the antiglare coating.

I agree - I wouldn't put anything at all on a current retina display. In fact, I try to be careful about not cleaning it too much, and when I clean it I'm careful about how I do it and what I use. I've had no problems with *clean* microfiber cloths and iKlear.

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
A question for those who use skins:

Are you doing it for better resale value or because you find that your macbook gets pretty scuffed without it and it's for your own personal benefit?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
A question for those who use skins:

Are you doing it for better resale value or because you find that your macbook gets pretty scuffed without it and it's for your own personal benefit?

Resale value peace of mind. I handle my computer gear pretty carefully but having cosmetic protection is a plus. Obviously, it won't help with a drop... ;)

blulegend

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
For those who have used the matte skin before, does it provide any addition grip when holding the computer? I have the glossy on my MBP and it adds a lot of grip and a sense of security when moving it from place to place.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
For those who have used the matte skin before, does it provide any addition grip when holding the computer? I have the glossy on my MBP and it adds a lot of grip and a sense of security when moving it from place to place.

Compared to glossy skins from other manufacturers like Zagg (I've never used a glossy BSE skin), the matte provides less grip. I personally think the glossy skins are too sticky, and I do not like the look, but those are totally personal points of view. The matte looks fairly close to the original Apple finish, which I like. Hope that helps...

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
I would be pretty hesitant about stuff like this, especially on a fan-less laptop that relies on the aluminum body to dissipate heat. Some people already say it gets really hot.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I would be pretty hesitant about stuff like this, especially on a fan-less laptop that relies on the aluminum body to dissipate heat. Some people already say it gets really hot.

That's an interesting point. I did two tests this weekend that kept the Core M CPU at 91-94*C, and the case was quite cool. The palm rests were ~86*F, and the bottom ranged from 92-97*F, which I would not even say is warm. However, it's possible that a layer of plastic could slow down the heat transfer through the case. Worth looking into.

Last edited:

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
That's an interesting point. I did two tests this weekend that kept the Core M CPU at 91-94*F, and the case was quite cool. The palm rests were ~86*F, and the bottom ranged from 92-97*F, which I would not even say is warm. However, it's possible that a layer of plastic could slow down the heat transfer through the case. Worth looking into.

91-94*F isn't that warm. That's ~33*C. Isn't that idling temps?

BSE-Michael

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
Heat is always a valid concern with fanless devices. I can say that we've been making Skins for laptops and other devices for 10 years and it's never come up as an issue. I'm no thermal physicist but I'm not sure the film is thick enough or has the physical properties to affect how the body dissipates heat. To each his or her own though.

Michael @ BSE

That's an interesting point. I did two tests this weekend that kept the Core M CPU at 91-94*C, and the case was quite cool. The palm rests were ~86*F, and the bottom ranged from 92-97*F, which I would not even say is warm. However, it's possible that a layer of plastic could slow down the heat transfer through the case. Worth looking into.

Bleedcubbieblue

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
Chicago IL
Got my matte skins yesterday in the mail and applied the bottom and top last night and let sit overnight. I didn't apply the trackpad or wrist areas yet. I'm a fan. Can't tell there's a skin which is great. Got retina Macbook for the standout color, thins and lightness and didn't want to cover it with a case which I had in past for my other MacBooks. Still would like to protect from scratches since I'm OCD...

It was pretty easy to apply besides the bottom. I wasn't quite sure what to do with the circular cutouts which delayed the application of corners and may have gotten some grime stuck there but it's the bottom...

Attachments

• IMG_3850.JPG
    IMG_3850.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 581
  • IMG_3852.JPG
    IMG_3852.JPG
    847.6 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_3854.JPG
    IMG_3854.JPG
    637 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_3856.JPG
    IMG_3856.JPG
    930.9 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_3855.JPG
    IMG_3855.JPG
    960.3 KB · Views: 565

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Got my matte skins yesterday in the mail and applied the bottom and top last night and let sit overnight. I didn't apply the trackpad or wrist areas yet. I'm a fan. Can't tell there's a skin which is great. Got retina Macbook for the standout color, thins and lightness and didn't want to cover it with a case which I had in past for my other MacBooks. Still would like to protect from scratches since I'm OCD...

It was pretty easy to apply besides the bottom. I wasn't quite sure what to do with the circular cutouts which delayed the application of corners and may have gotten some grime stuck there but it's the bottom...

Consideration (not quite a suggestion) from experience - the surface of the Apple trackpads is so smooth and friction-free that I have found that putting a skin on the trackpad really cuts down on the usability of the trackpad. It's not a total failure, but it takes maybe 10-15% of the usability away. I peeled the one that was on my rMBP off and was much happier. YMMV, of course, and there's no harm applying it and seeing how you feel about it; they're easy to peel off.

Bleedcubbieblue

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
Chicago IL
Consideration (not quite a suggestion) from experience - the surface of the Apple trackpads is so smooth and friction-free that I have found that putting a skin on the trackpad really cuts down on the usability of the trackpad. It's not a total failure, but it takes maybe 10-15% of the usability away. I peeled the one that was on my rMBP off and was much happier. YMMV, of course, and there's no harm applying it and seeing how you feel about it; they're easy to peel off.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I probably won't be applying the trackpad skin then, possibly the wrist area in case I forget to take off my watch when typing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.