Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BSE-Michael

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
Thanks for the pics and feedback! Can you clarify about the circular cutouts confusion? Maybe we can make it easier/better for anyone going forward.

The inclusion of covers for the feet is new with this kit. The feet of the Macbook aren't an ideal surface to stick to and it's easiest to just stick the foot covers on last and without solution. Honestly it was just unused space on the kit so we thought we'd try including them.

Feel free to open a ticket with the support team too if you'd like. Just mention this thread.

Thanks.

Michael@BSE

Got my matte skins yesterday in the mail and applied the bottom and top last night and let sit overnight. I didn't apply the trackpad or wrist areas yet. I'm a fan. Can't tell there's a skin which is great. Got retina Macbook for the standout color, thins and lightness and didn't want to cover it with a case which I had in past for my other MacBooks. Still would like to protect from scratches since I'm OCD...

It was pretty easy to apply besides the bottom. I wasn't quite sure what to do with the circular cutouts which delayed the application of corners and may have gotten some grime stuck there but it's the bottom...

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
Consideration (not quite a suggestion) from experience - the surface of the Apple trackpads is so smooth and friction-free that I have found that putting a skin on the trackpad really cuts down on the usability of the trackpad. It's not a total failure, but it takes maybe 10-15% of the usability away. I peeled the one that was on my rMBP off and was much happier. YMMV, of course, and there's no harm applying it and seeing how you feel about it; they're easy to peel off.

Ditto
Have used BSE on iPhone, MBA and MBP
The matte - top, back, sides and palm rest.
Tried the trackpad skin but did not like it.
The matte is a bit more grippy than naked.
And saved me from a ding and scuff or two.

Last edited:

Bleedcubbieblue

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
Chicago IL
Thanks for the pics and feedback! Can you clarify about the circular cutouts confusion? Maybe we can make it easier/better for anyone going forward.

The inclusion of covers for the feet is new with this kit. The feet of the Macbook aren't an ideal surface to stick to and it's easiest to just stick the foot covers on last and without solution. Honestly it was just unused space on the kit so we thought we'd try including them.

Feel free to open a ticket with the support team too if you'd like. Just mention this thread.

Thanks.

Michael@BSE

Probably was my fault, first time customer. Didn't realize they were cutouts so when I peeled it, the cutouts didn't come off so tried applying the back with the
cutouts still attached so the edges didn't stick well when i first tried applied, then I realized my mistake and then had to peel out the circular cutouts and then correct the lay so it laid flat. By then I probably fumbled a bit and got some grime/dust under the skin. Then put the cutouts on after. It still looks fine

ctnguye3

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
I brought the glossy version, I've done this so many times that I've become a pro at it. The key is to use enough liquid that you can slide the piece and get it even, than squeegee out the liquid. I do each section and let it sit for an hour. I did the bottom first, than the top, the sides, and finally the palmrest. the whole process took about 5 hours. Once I was done, I let it set for another 24 hours (leave it off with the MacBook lid open), did a clean wipe and turned it back on.

Attachments

• Photo Apr 24, 10 07 39 AM.jpg
    Photo Apr 24, 10 07 39 AM.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 351
  • Photo Apr 24, 10 08 09 AM.jpg
    Photo Apr 24, 10 08 09 AM.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 320
  • Photo Apr 24, 10 11 10 AM.jpg
    Photo Apr 24, 10 11 10 AM.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 294
  • Photo Apr 24, 10 10 30 AM.jpg
    Photo Apr 24, 10 10 30 AM.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 316
  • Photo Apr 24, 10 07 20 AM.jpg
    Photo Apr 24, 10 07 20 AM.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 311

ryanide

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Shoot I got the glossy

I ordered the Ultra skin from Bodygaurdz.com and got the clear (but glossy set).
I put it on it is ultra glossy and makes it look cheap and plastic. Gross!!!

I just tore that off and order the matte one from Bestskinsever.com

Last edited:

BSE-Michael

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing! Good application tip too. You are, what we would call, an application ninja.

I brought the glossy version, I've done this so many times that I've become a pro at it. The key is to use enough liquid that you can slide the piece and get it even, than squeegee out the liquid. I do each section and let it sit for an hour. I did the bottom first, than the top, the sides, and finally the palmrest. the whole process took about 5 hours. Once I was done, I let it set for another 24 hours (leave it off with the MacBook lid open), did a clean wipe and turned it back on.

blulegend

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008

Do the palm rest pieces leave any marks from your skin oil on your screen when closed? Does it impinge at all on the screen when closed?

Bleh5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Sorry for not posting pics, but others have done a much better job at taking pics than I had. I managed to get the top and bottom pieces on my MB almost perfectly. I thought I would have issues with a slight overhang on one side (I may have stretched the film a bit while squeegeeing the water out), but it appears to have shrunk back just enough when I placed it by the heater vent for a few hours.

Going without installing the other pieces for now. I may end up installing the wrist area pieces if I get an Apple Watch.

On a side note, I didn't fare as well installing on my replacement iPad Air 2. Just a few minor air bubbles that I think I'll live with.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Do the palm rest pieces leave any marks from your skin oil on your screen when closed? Does it impinge at all on the screen when closed?

I can answer that - no, none at all. I have read Apple's page on why you can't use things like keyboard covers (and I think I recall that page referring to palm rest covers, too) and have been very observant about any contact between the palm rest covers and the screen. It is not an issue at all, at least with the matte covers. I suppose it's possible that the glossy skins are thicker - can't comment on those.

BSE-Michael

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
That's correct. We looked at this during the pattern design. The screen has a raised rubber seal that surrounds it and keeps it from contacting the wrist rest area. Since the wrist rest covers are so close to the edge the rubber seal sits on on top of them and pretty much prevents any contact with the screen.

I can answer that - no, none at all. I have read Apple's page on why you can't use things like keyboard covers (and I think I recall that page referring to palm rest covers, too) and have been very observant about any contact between the palm rest covers and the screen. It is not an issue at all, at least with the matte covers. I suppose it's possible that the glossy skins are thicker - can't comment on those.

BSE-Michael

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
I'm sure someone will post their own soon but the photos we have on the product page are of the matte film too. The link in the comment you quoted takes you to the page.

Would be nice if you post some pics of the matte one on you rMB, because I hasetating if I should buy the Glossy or Matte. I think the matte one looks better on it?

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
I'm sure someone will post their own soon but the photos we have on the product page are of the matte film too. The link in the comment you quoted takes you to the page.

I have the glossy on mine. Not home now but will try to post pictures later. I have everything on but the wrist rest as I was investigating that further. I like the glossy with the gold finish. Have used matte on my Macbook Pros. I think its just personal preference

Mark Kappert

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2015
The Netherlands
I have the glossy on mine. Not home now but will try to post pictures later. I have everything on but the wrist rest as I was investigating that further. I like the glossy with the gold finish. Have used matte on my Macbook Pros. I think its just personal preference

Would be great! I bought the gold finish MacBook too but still waiting to receive it, but I don't know if I'll put the glossy or matte on it....

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Would be nice if you post some pics of the matte one on you rMB, because I hasetating if I should buy the Glossy or Matte. I think the matte one looks better on it?

Photos will really not show much! :) The shiny skins are more or less like everyone else's (at least in terms of surface appearance). The matte skins are fairly close to the finish of the aluminum covers on the MacBooks. Not a perfect match, but close. Someone would have to look closely to tell that you had a skin on the computer, which is not the case with any of the glossy skins.

Last edited:

Mark Kappert

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2015
The Netherlands
Photos will really now show much! :) The shiny skins are more or less like everyone else's (at least in terms of surface appearance). The matte skins are fairly close to the finish of the aluminum covers on the MacBooks. Not a perfect match, but close. Someone would have to look closely to tell that you had a skin on the computer, which is not the case with any of the glossy skins.

That's just the question what I need to get answered before buying the Body Skin, of course you can see it even better with pics or in real. In real is a problem because I won't get my MacBook until June and I'll buy the Body Skin before having my new MacBook. So the only solution for my question is to see some pics :D

blulegend

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
That's correct. We looked at this during the pattern design. The screen has a raised rubber seal that surrounds it and keeps it from contacting the wrist rest area. Since the wrist rest covers are so close to the edge the rubber seal sits on on top of them and pretty much prevents any contact with the screen.

Thanks. I have the glossy on my early 2011 15" MBP and wanted to make sure it was the same. I noticed that on my MBP glossy skin, the rubber edge around the screen leaves a little indent and I wanted to make sure that over time, the space between the screen and the palm rest didn't get narrower. I also think the rubber edge on my rMB is lower profile than that of the MBP. Excited to get my matte skin kit in the mail in a few days.

blulegend

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
Got my matte skin. The look is very nice. Hardly takes away the "metal" look of the computer but there is a slight change. Ever so slightly less reflective. The feel is a bit plasticky compared to the bare metal, less cool to the touch, a tad grippier. Overall, slightly less of a luxury feel because the metal sense is diminished. The logo doesn't have quiet the same reflection because of the matte but there is still a good contrast. The fit is really nice. Excellent actually. I put every piece on except the touch pad.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Can't wait until people starts complaining of processor throttling due to insufficient heat exchange. :D

DENTNU

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2010
I put mines on today and every happy with. I made sure there were no air bubbles any where before setting it down. I returned to take a look at it a few hours later and now I have a big bubble in the apple logo area on top. Will this go away by itself or this something I am just going to have to accept and live with. This is one of the reasons I have never liked using a skin. Decided to give it a shot one last time but guess I just going to have to live with the fact that these air bubbles are impossible to get rid of. :(

BSE-Michael

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
If the bubble is at the edge of the logo on top you can probably press it out once the film sets up. It might take pressing it a couple times. You might also be able to release it by piercing the bubble with a thin needle. The film is gas permeable so you should be able to get it to clear out though.

Feel free to contact our support team if we can be of further help.

Michael@BSE

I put mines on today and every happy with. I made sure there were no air bubbles any where before setting it down. I returned to take a look at it a few hours later and now I have a big bubble in the apple logo area on top. Will this go away by itself or this something I am just going to have to accept and live with. This is one of the reasons I have never liked using a skin. Decided to give it a shot one last time but guess I just going to have to live with the fact that these air bubbles are impossible to get rid of. :(

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
I ordered the Ultra skin from Bodygaurdz.com...order the matte one from Bestskinsever.com

Not sure I understand the ding protection factor with these skins (or any other). If you go to a store, look at the rMB's backside and notice the dings. Bestbuy shoppers have complete disregard for display/demo units and you can easily see the dings on the backside, which these skins seems to expose.

Incidentally, this is the same backside area I once dinged my first MBA on the airplane tray table upon descent :eek::D

I don't have a photo of the dings I saw at stores, but here are the edges I am referencing:
screenshot.png

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Not sure I understand the ding protection factor with these skins (or any other). If you go to a store, look at the rMB's backside and notice the dings. Bestbuy shoppers have complete disregard for display/demo units and you can easily see the dings on the backside, which these skins seems to expose.

Incidentally, this is the same backside area I once dinged my first MBA on the airplane tray table upon descent :eek::D

I don't have a photo of the dings I saw at stores, but here are the edges I am referencing:
View attachment 549086

I'm not sure I'm following your post. Skins don't really provide ding protection - they're just a plastic skin. They do provide scratch protection, assuming we're not talking about people attacking the MacBook with a can opener. ;) The BSE skins do include full bottom coverage (at least they do if you order them to include the bottom), but again it's only a plastic skin, not a case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.