Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2000
Has anyone else noticed that there is currently no such computer as a "Mac"? The product line currently exists as follows:

Consumer:
Mac mini, iMac, MacBook
Professional:
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro

Nowhere in the product lineup is there currently a computer marketed under the name of "Mac", a natural fit for their new naming convention. Some may suggest that the "medium-level" desktop machine exists already, that they just call it the iMac. Others may shrug that off saying that the iMac is no real comparison to a headless, flexible, upgradeable tower. What is your take?

Are the doors wide open for a headless, upgradeable (smaller) tower design from Apple (Paris, MWSF?), or is the iMac just not "in-sync" with their new naming convention?

Okay, it wasn't a press-release or anything, I just visited to get my facts straight.

LoveMacMini

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
i've been rallying for such a device for a long time.

doubtful it's going to happen, but really all i want is a mac mini with some competent onboard video and the ability to use 3.5 inch drives.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
Apple will never release a computer called the "Mac".

"I just got a new computer!"
"Oh, really? What kind"
"A Mac"
"Wow, that's great! What kind of Mac?"
"A Mac"
"I know. What model?"
"A Mac!"
"You bought a Mac Mac?"
"I guess I did."

On a similar note, GM announced a new model Chevrolet today...the Chevrolet.

triotary

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2005
topgunn said:
Apple will never release a computer called the "Mac".

"I just got a new computer!"
"Oh, really? What kind"
"A Mac"
"Wow, that's great! What kind of Mac?"
"A Mac"
"I know. What model?"
"A Mac!"
"You bought a Mac Mac?"
"I guess I did."

On a similar note, GM announced a new model Chevrolet today...the Chevrolet.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

I just bought a Ford today!!!And I totally regretted it!

which Ford?

The ford!

Ya I know, but which one?

The Ford that always been crappy!!!

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
All those machines are Macs. They are just different kinds of Macs. Just like the 128K was a 'Mac' or the iBook was a 'Mac', etc.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2000
mcarnes said:
All those machines are Macs. They are just different kinds of Macs. Just like the 128K was a 'Mac' or the iBook was a 'Mac', etc.
That's very obvious.

-------------------

Their current naming scheme, however, would leave you to believe that the lineup is missing a "Mac". A "regular" Mac, that's neither mini nor Pro.

Mac mini
[ ] <------- iMac or Mac?
Mac Pro
MacBook
MacBook Pro

-------------------

That being said, I totally agree with topgunn, that the confusion that it would create since they started branding the commercials with " Mac".

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
michaelrjohnson said:
Their current naming scheme, however, would leave you to believe that the lineup is missing a "Mac". A "regular" Mac, that's neither mini nor Pro.

Oh, I see. Well on to next Tuesday then.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
I always hated the name of the PlayStation 2.

"I've got a Playstation."
"I have a Playstation, too."
"Wow! Really? Can I play it?"
"I guess, but it won't be much different than yours."
"Why do you say that? I have a Playstation, you've got a Playstation2!"

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2006
mattcube64 said:
I always hated the name of the PlayStation 2.

"I've got a Playstation."
"I have a Playstation, too."
"Wow! Really? Can I play it?"
"I guess, but it won't be much different than yours."
"Why do you say that? I have a Playstation, you've got a Playstation2!"

very funny :) haha That's also on of the reasons why I hated newer versions that just add a 2 (playstation 2, call of duty 2, home alone 2, etc)

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
eidrunner247 said:
very funny :) haha That's also on of the reasons why I hated newer versions that just add a 2 (playstation 2, call of duty 2, home alone 2, etc)

What if its called the MacBook Pro II, the iMac II..... lol

It might be your worst nightmare!

Cheers

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
I agree that there will never be a computer named Mac, and disagree that the lineup is left "wide open" for such a computer. Mac represents the umbrella that holds all of Apple's computers, and therefore cannot represent just one.

FullmetalZ26

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
While a machine simply called "the Mac" wouldn't necessarily make much sense, having a midrange tower machine in the lineup would be really nice. The iMac is all well and good for the 'decent all-around four year throwaway' type of machine, and the Dual-core mini is a capable machine, but I don't want to pay for an LCD that will be useless to me in 4 years, and expansion for the mini is a joke. I have a G4 mini right now, and I've done all that I can to it short of upgrading the hard drive. That's right, I maxed out the memory. And it's a great machine, but I'd rather be stuffing a mid-tower with hard drives instead of adding firewire enclosure after firewire enclosure to my desk. Just one extra model, Apple, please. Maybe a 2/3rds scale Mac Pro case with just one processor, one optical drive, less base configured memory, and a decent, but not expensive, integrated but dedicated graphics card. It doesn't even have to be a Core 2 Duo, provided the processor's not soldered and I can upgrade it myself. Then build it to around $1200-1600, depending on the configuration. That's all I ask.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
michaelrjohnson said:
Has anyone else noticed that there is currently no such computer as a "Mac"? The product line currently exists as follows:

Consumer:
Mac mini, iMac, MacBook
Professional:
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro

Nowhere in the product lineup is there currently a computer marketed under the name of "Mac", a natural fit for their new naming convention. Some may suggest that the "medium-level" desktop machine exists already, that they just call it the iMac. Others may shrug that off saying that the iMac is no real comparison to a headless, flexible, upgradeable tower. What is your take?

Are the doors wide open for a headless, upgradeable (smaller) tower design from Apple (Paris, MWSF?), or is the iMac just not "in-sync" with their new naming convention?

Okay, it wasn't a press-release or anything, I just visited to get my facts straight.

...are you serious?

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
I think if they were to do this it would probably end up with a fairly uninspiring name like "Mac Standard" or something. I think we're safe, though, because as much as we want it, Apple doesn't seem to want to give us a machine like that. :(

On an unrelated note, my first car was a 1991 Toyota Truck. And yes, 'truck' was the actual model name - they didn't have a special name for it like "Tacoma" or anything. The naming department was really on the ball when they rolled that bad boy out. :rolleyes:

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
By that logic Apple will also have to release a software program called just "Logic" and just "FinalCut" Since they have an Express and Pro version. I realized there is Garageband and iMovie...but the names aren't the same so they must release a new app with the name to keep consistent!!

I do agree that there is room for a mid range headless Mac but the product line itself suggests that not the naming convention.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
someguy said:
I'm confused. When the hell did anyone (from Apple) say that there would be a Mac named "Mac" released?
This is a user forum on a rumor site. Not all discussions stem from Apple employee commentary.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
LeeTom said:
Mac Plus sounds good to me, or maybe the gMac (for games)?

Can you imagine the insults for that...

"I've got a new gMac."
"Haha, you're gay you bought a gayMac."
*:rolleyes:*

But yes, I like the idea of a small tower, although I see it killing Mac Pro sales.

I think that if they made the Mini a bit bigger, they could put a 1.86 GHz Conroe in (which is cheaper than a Core Solo, with much better performance), a 3.5" Hard Drive (more storage for less money) and a GMA X3000, then added a single Woodcrest option to the Mac Pro, it would eliminate the need for a mid-range Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.