Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider continues to feed fuel to the fire that MacBook Pros will see updates in the coming weeks.

According to the rumor site, current MacBook Pro production has slowed as Apple prepares to ramp up the revised Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros.

These reports are joined by tips from insiders who say the Cupertino, Calif.-based company is preparing to begin -- if it has not done so already -- manufacturing ramp of its holiday line of MacBook Pro notebooks.

Reportedly, revisions of the 13" MacBook and the 15" and 17" MacBook Pros are complete and are anticipated to be released before the holiday season.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Hee hee...I was just about to post a response about how people should have a look around the forums before they make posts like this. Then I realized that it was an article...that's what I get for following MacRumors through the forums. :eek: :cool:

That said, I'm not in the market for a laptop yet, but I'm praying this is true just to put an end to the "When is 'Memron' coming to the MBP?" threads. Of course, with my luck, they will only update the MBP and hold back on the MacBook update, and we'll be stuck with more "Memron" threads. Ugh.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
73CortinaV8 said:
cooling...
meroms are hotter than yonahs, despite intel's claims.
There's a surprise... :rolleyes: They're only like 10% faster too, aren't they? At least until Santa Rosa is released next year?

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
WildCowboy said:
Hee hee...I was just about to post a response about how people should have a look around the forums before they make posts like this. Then I realized that it was an article...that's what I get for following MacRumors through the forums. :eek: :cool:

That said, I'm not in the market for a laptop yet, but I'm praying this is true just to put an end to the "When is 'Memron' coming to the MBP?" threads. Of course, with my luck, they will only update the MBP and hold back on the MacBook update, and we'll be stuck with more "Memron" threads. Ugh.

It won't stop (said ominously in the voice of that girl on The Ring). Sure, "Memron" will come, but by then people will start screaming for Santa Rosa, and the next platform, and the next. Hopefully someday people will learn that whiny posts ("Mommy, are we there yet?") are just annoying and rarely provide anything interesting for a forum to discuss.

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
WildCowboy said:

I thought the same thing. I was like "this kid is going to get it...." Oh well we moved from the "after photokina" thread to the "before the holiday's" thread, are we now living in the "soon" thread. Will this be are longest or shortest home?

I don't really give a hoot about merom or whatever 10 odd % it might be better. I just want to know something. I think the current models are over priced for the hardware they are selling. I hope that we get something more with this new chip, becasue of money issues I am buying the lowest priced model, $1799 with student discount. I would like to see these things at a minimum
*2.0GHZ C2D
*100GB 5400RPM HD
*1GB (1 SODIMM)

Would be very happy and might upgrade to the better model if they were to offer black anodized Al, but that is a long shot.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
twoodcc said:
i really think it's coming. maybe next week, but not sure about that. but they're coming soon though
I hope so. I'm on a "borrowed" computer which will need to be returned in a couple weeks. If not, I'll have to buy a temporary computer. I'm NOT buying a Core Duo. Not this late in the game, especially since I've been waiting since July.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
iGary said:
Christ, make it stop.
A 10% improvement in speed doesn't seem like it's worth it for the 1000% increase in annoyance of reading about this rumor. :)

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
I hope that it is true that they are coming with new laptops.

but i hope it IS NOT true that they come with virtually all the same specs. cmon apple, new body, larger hard drives. better graphics chip.

and maybe blu-ray option

mahonmeister

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Redlands, CA
With the long delay from processor release to notebook release do you think they are doing some radical changes? I've heard the theory that they need to use up the core duos but I would think that the Mac Book and mini would take care of that.

I hope they get a Mac Book Pro for under 2k. That would fill in the difference between the produce lines. Or give the Mac Book a true GPU to fill the gap.

mdntcallr said:

but i hope it IS NOT true that they come with virtually all the same specs. cmon apple, new body, larger hard drives. better graphics chip.

and maybe blu-ray option

First, look at the new Mac mini. 160GB HD max. I think some company is still working on a portable blu-ray drive but that would cost way too much to make its way into Apple's mobil line any time soon I would imagine. Just use an external one if you need it.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
Analog Kid said:
There's a surprise... :rolleyes: They're only like 10% faster too, aren't they? At least until Santa Rosa is released next year?

At the same clock speed...that's the key...

Of course, Apple needs something they can market to the average buyer, and a "new" machine at same clock speed doesn't sound like anything. This means faster processors...and yes, in this case, more heat...but also more than 10% speed increase.

That said, for people who need a machine right now, there's not much point waiting. The increase of 15% is just beginning to be noticeable in a few apps...most will seem exactly the same.

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
mdntcallr said:

and maybe blu-ray option

There isn't really a "better" graphics chip; Apple could switch to use the GeForce 7700, or use the ATI X1700, but none of them are significantly better than the X1600; the bigger issue is that they'd have to significantly underclock a 7700 or X1700 as well, so whatever minimal improvements you'd get from a better graphics chip won't mean much.

-Zadillo

mahonmeister

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Redlands, CA
mmmcheese said:
At the same clock speed...that's the key...

Of course, Apple needs something they can market to the average buyer, and a "new" machine at same clock speed doesn't sound like anything. This means faster processors...and yes, in this case, more heat...but also more than 10% speed increase.

That said, for people who need a machine right now, there's not much point waiting. The increase of 15% is just beginning to be noticeable in a few apps...most will seem exactly the same.

The highest clock speed is 2.33 then 2.16, 2.0, 1.83. So I would guess the former 2.0 MBP would become the 2.16 C2D MBP and so on. Although they might simply keep the same clock speed line-up and have the 2.33 as an option like the iMac. I hope they don't do this and if you look at the previous iMac, it topped out at 2.0GHz rather then 2.16 perhaps to distinguish the Pro line-up.

And let me just say this: I am just as annoyed as you about all the C2D complaints. But down-playing the processor really isn't going to work. The simple fact is that it is faster and no one in the right mind would pay full price for an older processor when a newer one is available. I certainty wouldn't.

suwandy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
Analog Kid said:

No, they aren't. They really are cooler, saving more power, and faster. I can't remember the exact numbers but read here.

Read our discussion over in this thread. And you'll see that C2D is heaps better than CD.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/234380/

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I hope they come out this tuesday because I can't wait any longer than wednesday. If I buy from a college will I still be able to return it for any reason for 14 days?

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
Why not wait until the Kentsfield? Those should be out early 2007... Everyone don't buy the Merom MBP's, I repeat... Do not buy the Merom MBP's, Kentsfield is right around the corner!

:D :p

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
suwandy said:
No, they aren't. They really are cooler, saving more power, and faster. I can't remember the exact numbers but read here.

Read our discussion over in this thread. And you'll see that C2D is heaps better than CD.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/234380/

Um, don't benchmarks say that when the iMac received the C2D all it really gave it was a 10% bump and no noticeable decrease in power or heat, etc.? I recall reading that several times (basically saying C2D isn't that big of a deal).

And nice linking to the 3000-post thread =) gonna take a while for me to get to the part where they talk about C2D > C1D

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
Also, where is AppleInsider getting this information from? The same "insiders" that said it was coming at Photokina? I'm really starting to gravitate towards the "it's out when it's out" crowd (also a bit of the "it'll be out by MWSF" crowd)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.