Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
scott523 said:
-_- Kentsfield is a DESKTOP processor so this power-hungry quadcore processor will never be stuffed into a MBP. The C2D will probably be the primary mobile processor until the new 45nm processors are out and along the way, Santa Rosa will give the C2D a FSB speed bump.

It kinda depends on how long you can wait and how fast can Intel/Apple release Santa Rosa. Santa Rosa is about 3-4 months away if Apple chooses them without hesitation. However, Santa Rosa (802.11n, flash memory, 800MHz FSB, more battery life) is starting to be much more convincing to wait than this coming up revision.

I meant Santa Rosa, and it was a joke. ;)

Zeromus

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2005
I'm not even that interested in the C2D part of the MacBook Pro update. I just want to see if they update the video card like they did with the iMac C2D's.

X1600 is good, but not great. If they offer a MacBook Pro with card like the GF7600 or greater, that's where the money is.

If they don't... meh, X1600 will do. But if they do, I want in. Also there is always the chance of (insert other new feature, magnetic latches, black aluminium, FW800 on 15", DL DVD on 15", l4X0rz...) being in this revision.

I returned 3 original MBP's due to the whine and have been waiting for a revision ever since (read: 7 months). To not wait for that revision this late in the game would be not smart in my situation. I want the true RevB!

So yea, that's my life story. My iBook G4 800Mhz still rocks out while I wait ;)

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Zeromus said:
I'm not even that interested in the C2D part of the MacBook Pro update. I just want to see if they update the video card like they did with the iMac C2D's.

X1600 is good, but not great. If they offer a MacBook Pro with card like the GF7600 or greater, that's where the money is.

If they don't... meh, X1600 will do. But if they do, I want in. Also there is always the chance of (insert other new feature, magnetic latches, black aluminium, FW800 on 15", DL DVD on 15", l4X0rz...) being in this revision.

I returned 3 original MBP's due to the whine and have been waiting for a revision ever since (read: 7 months). To not wait for that revision this late in the game would be not smart in my situation. I want the true RevB!

So yea, that's my life story. My iBook G4 800Mhz still rocks out while I wait ;)

And again even if they do update the GPU's in the MBPs theres still the reality that the current GPU's in the current MBPs are already underclocked, so pretty much anything newer or better would just be as underclocked as well....unless Apple gets crafty.

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2006
I suspect that the new MBP's will use the MXM Nvidea module like the 24" iMac does. Now that ATI have been bought by AMD and Apple are in bed with Intel they may try to distance themselves from ATI GPUs. And using MXM makes it easier for them to offer BTO's.

metooplease

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2006
gimme gimme gimme mb pro!!!

i hope it'll have the same easy exchange harddrive bay like the macbook does... and of course i would apreciate the magnetic latch system and a minor pricedrop ;)

my school starts on 16. oct. and i need a new computer/laptop for video editing and photo editing at least on 1. November..
unfortunately the macbooks glossy screen is an absolute killer... :(

gonnabuyamac

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
glossy screen

according to an interview i read with somebody from apple, they wouldn't do a glossy screen until they were sure they wouldn't lose color. i'm planning on buying a MBP (whenever they come out with new ones... please soon!), and i was debating over the glossy finish. i am starting a career shift to graphic design, and just wondered if the glossy screen is really that bad. i have a 2 year old vaio with an xbrite screen, which is really nice - though the colors aren't perfect. apple said they were waiting for the technology to improve enough for their standards, which apparently were met. it seems like there are a lot of people with their own opinions, but does anyone really know the disadvantages to glossy screens (other than glare - i don't really have a problem with that)

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I'm anxious, and can't wait. I'll buy a loaded 17" the day it is released.

But I will wait 3 more months if need be if it means Apple gets the quality issues worked out.

Heat.
Fit and finish.
Uneven lighting on screen.
etc, etc, etc.

I don't mind dropping 3 grand on a laptop. Happy to do it, even in an age where I can spend 500 bucks for one and just throw it out in 6 months when it starts to suck.

But for 3 grand, I better get a high quality product.

Apple really needs to get their act together on the quality front.

pigwin32

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
Oakura
Grakkle said:
Yeah, it is, a bit. But really, it's a legit reaction to a kernal panic caused by that mess of an app, ITUNES!:p
To be honest I would expect hardware related issues to have been addressed by now given the MBP has been out for some time and the C2D isn't a major upgrade from the original core duo.

pigwin32

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
Oakura
generik said:
It is this sort of thinking that is going to set people up for maximum disappointment, what if it is truly just a chip swap? It is taking so long and delayed all these weeks... because they can? It is not like Apple has competition in their market, they are a monopoly in their own right.

Who knows for sure? There may have been a lot of old MBPs around and Apple might want to sell them off at full prices before releasing the revamped ones.
Come on, it's all just speculation, that's what we're here for. The given with this update is a processor upgrade which has been reported to provide ~10% performance increase at the same power draw. I expect Apple to produce a full refresh of the MBP early next year with Santa Rosa to coincide with Leopard. For example, a higher resolution display doesn't make sense until the OS can support a fully scalable UI, something that I think was supposed to come with Leopard. So anything other than the processor upgrade delivered with the MBP is really just a bonus. FW800 support though is something that has been missing from the original MBP 15" so I would kind of expect it to be included.

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
I think apple would be mad not to upgrade to before the end of october

I think they will then upgrade again in about 5-6 months (May - April)

With the intel roadmap moving so fast they will be updating a lot more now, i dont think any model will last more than 6 months over the next few years

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Zeromus said:

There isn't a fundamentally huge difference between the GeForce Go 7600 and the ATI X1600 (same can be said for the GeForce Go 7700 and ATI X1700). You're not likely to notice a major difference one way or the other (both cards have their merits; there's a huge thread in the Gaming section of the notebookreview.com forums detailing the differences between the two).

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Zadillo said:
There isn't really a "better" graphics chip; Apple could switch to use the GeForce 7700, or use the ATI X1700, but none of them are significantly better than the X1600; the bigger issue is that they'd have to significantly underclock a 7700 or X1700 as well, so whatever minimal improvements you'd get from a better graphics chip won't mean much.

-Zadillo

### Well if Apple would change their priorities from "pretty" to "performance", it *could* make a significant difference. Alienware, Boxxtech offer MUCH higher performance GPUs in their laptops and **they** don't even underclock them..what a concept!

macman2790

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
Texas
jaduffy108 said:
### Well if Apple would change their priorities from "pretty" to "performance", it *could* make a significant difference. Alienware, Boxxtech offer MUCH higher performce GPUs in their laptops and **they** don't even underclock them..what a concept!
the battery life would go down signifigantly with the ones alienware uses. ie. Geforce GO 7900.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
jaduffy108 said:
### Well if Apple would change their priorities from "pretty" to "performance", it *could* make a significant difference. Alienware, Boxxtech offer MUCH higher performance GPUs in their laptops and **they** don't even underclock them..what a concept!

The GPU used by Apple are different! They are extra high quality so they work better underclocked!

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2006
macman2790 said:
the battery life would go down signifigantly with the ones alienware uses. ie. Geforce GO 7900.

Surely it could be throttled down while not in full use...?

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
Manic Mouse said:
Surely it could be throttled down while not in full use...?
Of course, but it would still draw more power. However, that GPU would never be used to begin with, since it puts out too much heat for such a thin notebook computer.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Apple can surely pioneer a truly innovative design where their laptops ship with BOTH GMA965 and some other discrete graphics solution.

When the software application requires graphics solution OSX will then power up the hardware GPU chip, feed the matrices through it, and shut it down to conserve power again. Surely with all those brilliant engineers and that "Think Different" slogan they can do this! Why do it like everyone else?

Hell, why do it like everyone else, except in a more pissy and worse way?

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
Yannick said:
No 12'' will come, but a 10'' or 11''. At least that's what I'd like. :D
That's not going to happen. If Apple were to ever release a smaller MacBook Pro, it would be in the same form factor as the MacBook- 13.3" widescreen.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Bill Gates said:
That's not going to happen. If Apple were to ever release a smaller MacBook Pro, it would be in the same form factor as the MacBook- 13.3" widescreen.

Why?

It is silly because the 2 models will invariably steal sales from each other. Right now Apple has much of the laptop line covered, EXCEPT they are getting devoured left right and centre in the ultra portable segment. A 12" widescreen might just be the perfect solution for that spot.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
generik said:
Why?

It is silly because the 2 models will invariably steal sales from each other. Right now Apple has much of the laptop line covered, EXCEPT they are getting devoured left right and centre in the ultra portable segment. A 12" widescreen might just be the perfect solution for that spot.
I don't think it would make much sense to have to use another LCD screen. Plus the vertical resolution on a 12" widescreen would be laughable at best- unless Apple upped the resolution, that is.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Bill Gates said:
I don't think it would make much sense to have to use another LCD screen. Plus the vertical resolution on a 12" widescreen would be laughable at best- unless Apple upped the resolution, that is.

With the 24" iMac I suppose Apple proved you wrong on the first count. ;)

And I wouldn't put it beyond Apple to accomplish the 2nd, so here's to hopin'

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
generik said:
With the 24" iMac I suppose Apple proved you wrong on the first count. ;)

And I wouldn't put it beyond Apple to accomplish the 2nd, so here's to hopin'
True, but it still is more cost-effective to use the existing LCD screen found in the MacBook rather than using another. That's how it was done in the past. It would be nice for them to make a 12" though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.