Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
i didnt think there would have been much chance that it wouldnt have got approval. Apple must have been designing this for years. Maybe someone technically minded can divulge some extra information out of the information revealed here though...

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
Apple must have been designing this for years. Maybe someone technically minded can divule some extra information out of the information revealed here though...

This has little to nothing to do with the OS development or form... just that the radio devices meet certain standards and whatnot.

Yes, it's an important benchmark but it doesn't really boast Apple's brilliance or anything.

-Clive

(500th post! Avatars, here I come!)

LxTxNx

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
wooo hooo I wonder how long it will take apple.com to update the FCC disclaimer in small print on the iphone page.

oclor

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
Boston
Jobs said the reason it would be released in June was because the FCC approval takes a while. Doesn't this show that it was approved 2 months ago?

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Woooo! This is nothing but excellent news. :D

But who in the world voted this as negative? I don't get people sometimes... but yeah, kudos to Apple! Almost there!

LxTxNx

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
I've never seen an IMEI thats alphanumeric meaning both letters and numbers. It's always 15 numbers

if you dont believe me dial *#06# on your GSM-Phone keypad your IMEI will display

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The documents indicate that Apple submitted them to the FCC on March 9th. After evaluation by the FCC, authorization was granted today.

From the approval letter...notice the right side:

Picture 1.png

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
--YAWN!--

Wake me up when it's on Sprint's network in 5 or so years. (-_-)

I will be very happy with my soon to be Palm 755p and 2GB micro SD cards. I ain't paying $1200 to switch to a reasonably better company just to get a kick arse phone... I will pay half that and keep my reasonably good company and upgrade to a reasonably kick arse phone.

By the way... Apple's iPhone division... you suck! :mad:

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
Or next month, depending on which way you stand on your head.

I wish we could all use a standard date format, or an unambiguous one like 17-MAY-2007

by chance are you from UK? Dates here are backwards when compared to US eg. 12/4/2007 =4/12/2007 = :confused:
Im all for 17-MAY

SeanMcg

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
More Docs..

FCC Documents indicate that Apple has received FCC approval for the iPhone.
http://#" onClick="jkpopimage('http...7/fcciphone.gif', 531, 433, ''); return false
The letters for approval are dated March 8th, 2007, and first appeared on the FCC site today.

Go Here for some more documents from the FCC Site. When you get there, enter BCG for the Grantee Code and A1203 for the Product Code. Sorry about that.

After reading some of them, it looks like Apple requested that some of the specifications be kept confidential for 45 days. I guess that's one of the reasons we are only seeing this now. Also, the docs I referenced point to a grant date of 5/17/2007 (in the US standard of MM/DD/YYYY). I don't understand all the testing that was done, but it sure looks like there was a lot of it. Have fun reading.

SeanMcg

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Have you read the Confidentiality letter ? Tis funny :) Apple trying to cover their backs.

I'm sure that's common language for any new device. After all, it's not like they are keeping anything from the FCC with that request.

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
I am partial towards May 17th. I just think it works better when you know what month it is first, then the day. Call me a good ole American cowboy.
either way, but using a word instead of number will keep my happy!

I wish i could even try to understand the documents in the disclosure...i feel so dull...

LxTxNx

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
Here are some more documents from the FCC Site.

After reading some of them, it looks like Apple requested that some of the specifications be kept confidential for 45 days. I guess that's one of the reasons we are only seeing this now. Also, the docs I referenced point to a grant date of 5/17/2007 (in the US standard of MM/DD/YYYY). I don't understand all the testing that was done, but it sure looks like there was a lot of it. Have fun reading.

BAD LINK

this is what I get when I click...

"The Following Error(s) Occurred While Retrieving The Requested Page:

Date and time of error: Thu May 17 14:57:22 EDT 2007
Requester's address: 170.35.208.21
Requester's browser type: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
Called from: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/305389/
Parameters specified: RequestTimeout=500
Diagnostic information: Element TCB_CODE is undefined in FORM.
The error occurred on line 6.

Please report this error to FCC OET Systems Support "

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.