Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeLeatardo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
24" and I feel like I need sunscreen and a pitcher of water to survive surfing the web.

The top of the machine is HOT to the touch.

Is this normal?

wshld

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
Same with my 20". After some times the top of the machine gets really hot.

Alloye

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2007
Rocklin, CA
My 20" is pretty warm along the cooling slot, but I would expect it to be. I would also expect the aluminum to trap some of this heat. I don't think it's any cause for concern.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The aluminum is a real good conductor of heat compared to the insulated plastic cases.

So the cases will feel a bit hotter (ok, a lot hotter) compared to the plastic cases which blow hot air.

Of course this also means the case is helping radiate the heat instead of trapping it inside.

youngestchild

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005
sydney
has anyone taken a temp reading? i use istat pro on my ibook, very good.

I'd be interested to know what kinda heat the 20" 2.4 gives off... i have one on order and it will be sitting on a cheap wooden desk ... i've decided to take off the top half of the desk as it will be too much of a tight fit... not to mention a possible fire hazard (?!) ...

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Yeah hot air does blow out of the vents but overall the case is only warm tothe touch for the most part.

My temps hover between 43-45C with iTunes, Safari, Mail, Growl, Adium, MainMenu running. Also when im putting the iMac through its paces i.e using both cores at max i never exceed 65C

20" iMac BTW

MikeLeatardo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
hot Hot HOT

This morning I'll stop by the Apple store and check out how hot their machines are.

Stay tuned.

BTW - I love the machine....

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
As a reference. my C2D pre-SR 24" is not even noticeably warm on top. Never have heard the fans so obviously they never start revving high.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Just got back from the Apple Store on Regent Street. Man, I touched the top of a few of the new iMacs and they really are very hot!

My 24" white iMac generates a warmth that is barely detectable, but these new puppies are hot on top like the old MacBooks underneath. I thought it might be the aluminum, but my MBP 2.33 doesn't generate this kind of heat either.

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
Hot as in "Oh that's pretty hot" or "The case starts melting any second now"?

Unless it's hot enough to actually damage the casing it's nothing to worry about. The internal temperatures are much more important.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
24" and I feel like I need sunscreen and a pitcher of water to survive surfing the web.

By "surfing the web" do you mean reading sites like this, or watching video and animation on sites like YouTube? Download iStat Pro and give us some temperature readings. Otherwise it is hard to know what "hot" or "normal" means. Thanks.

Alloye

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2007
Rocklin, CA
Mine was hovering around 43-45C after two hours of Mail/Safari/iTunes and installing some software.

Running 'yes >/dev/null' x 2 to peg both cores, it ran up to 65-67C.

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
all these negative posts about the new imac are making me consider the mac pro again... hm

You have to remember, people posting in these forums are only a small percentage of people who have bought the new iMac. Your not going to get people making a thread saying "I got my iMac and its great i love it...thats it." I f your going to get the imac go for it, its going to be a great machine. I felt the same way when i got mine and i have had no problems with it and it is the best computer ive ever had. So dont worry about it. But if you want some positives, https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/340390/

As for the OP's heat problem, try using Temperature monitor. http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

Get some readings with programs running and post them.

Tyr.

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
Antwerp, Belgium
Top of my alu 24" is warm to the touch, but not hot, it's expected to be a little warm because the fan exhaust is at the top (intake at the bottom). Fan noise is under control, a bit louder than a G4 mini but that was whisper quiet for me. I only just noticed it made noise now because it is the middle of the night here and there's no ambient noise whatsoever.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Say what you will, but the tops of these babies at the Apple Store were quite hot. I want a computer that is whisper quiet and cool. Components are going to be gently cooking in this heat. There is no way around it. When I used to run a server room, we had massive air conditioning to keep the servers nice and cool because hot components = shortened life and increased failure.

Yes, the new iMac is a great machine if you need a new computer, but it definitely has some serious Rev. A issues and they have definitely cheapened the displays.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Say what you will, but the tops of these babies at the Apple Store were quite hot. I want a computer that is whisper quiet and cool. Components are going to be gently cooking in this heat. There is no way around it. When I used to run a server room, we have massive air conditioning to keep the servers nice and cool because hot components = shortened life and increased failure.

trust me
imacs can run for a long time.
apples can run for a long time!!!!
we all know that!!!

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Any PC babied as much as many Macs are will run for a long time. Duh.However a machine which operates closer to it's thermal maximum all the time will last for less. It'd depend on yuor ambients but it seems to me that with the majority of the current lineup Apple is really pushing the thermal envelope in order to have a quiet system, without being able to innovate in the cooling stakes like Dell.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Any PC babied as much as many Macs are will run for a long time. Duh.However a machine which operates closer to it's thermal maximum all the time will last for less. It'd depend on yuor ambients but it seems to me that with the majority of the current lineup Apple is really pushing the thermal envelope in order to have a quiet system, without being able to innovate in the cooling stakes like Dell.

good point. do you think the days of the 10 year old macs are over?? will the newer macs only last 3-4 years before components die out??

sucks..

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
trust me
imacs can run for a long time.
apples can run for a long time!!!!
we all know that!!!

There has never been an iMac which ran this hot before. I am not talking about processor temp. I am talking about the temperature of the components slowly cooking in a hot enclosure. This is an issue. Any claims otherwise are just a desire not to know.

Original MBPs and MBs ran too hot and so do the new iMacs. These temperatures will cause components to fail earlier than they otherwise would have. This is just a fact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.