Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
First post here... So yeah, I bought a new 20" iMac with 2.4 ghz processor, and it sure runs hot! I mean, I could bake eggs on it. It was on about 12 hours yesterday.

Oh also, why is the display only working in 60 hz, I've always used a 75 hz monitor and I wonder if it's okay for one's eyes in the long run.

Alloye

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2007
Rocklin, CA
Think about it... Heat rises. The cooling slot is near the top of the case. The top of the case is made of aluminum. Of course it's going to get warm up there. MacBook Pros have had this "issue" for years.

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
Say what you will, but the tops of these babies at the Apple Store were quite hot. I want a computer that is whisper quiet and cool.

Here you go
commodore_amiga_1200.jpg

Seriously though. If the enclosure is hot but the components aren't (all the readings I've seen are normal), then it just means that it does a good job conducting the heat.
Now if it's actually hot enough to damage the enclosure, then we have an issue.

Putting such powerful components in a tiny enclosure and making it quiet at a fairly low price is a hard thing to do.

My Presonus Firebox had the same "issue". Too many hot components in a tiny aluminum enclosure. It got hot. But it was never really an issue.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
good point. do you think the days of the 10 year old macs are over?? will the newer macs only last 3-4 years before components die out??

sucks..

The computer will likely last to the end of its lifecycle, but the drives are likely to suffer heat related deaths much sooner.

But that has been happening for quite awhile these days anyways. Since the durability went down (in exchange for quietness) as the heat they generated went up.

lmcargo

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2007
Wanted to see for myself....been waiting for almost a year now. Went to the Apple store here in Denver. Wow the top was hot. I touched every imac in the store and all were HOT...except one (the ol' white version still on display but not for sale). I was ready to throw down the money anyway, but then the Apple rep got an attitude when I asked if the heat may cause problems, such as to the internals. She said all the reps were informing customers just "don't put anything on top of or close to the top of the imac and you'll be fine." Needless to say, I walked out without buying my new home system.

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
Can't someone just get a thermometer and put it on top of the case so that we know how hot "HOT" is?

oduinnin

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2007
Planet Earth
Can't someone just get a thermometer and put it on top of the case so that we know how hot "HOT" is?

For purposes of comparison, right now running iTunes, Safari, Activity Monitor and widgets, my MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.0GHz (original - Mar 2006) has temperature readings of: CPU - 59C, Case Bottom - 33C, Ambient - 23C, GPU - 53C, Memory controller - 53C. Both right & left fans are running @1000RPM, but, I can't hear them. The MacBook feels warm on my lap, but quite bearable. The case is always hottest by the hinge where the vents are.

I personally think the new iMac will be fine. I might also say I have a 24" 2.8GHz model on order so I might be a little bias. :D

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
Mac Mini heat issue?

I am wondering if the Mac Mini runs as hot as the iMac. What has been your experience?

paetrick

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Wanted to see for myself....been waiting for almost a year now. Went to the Apple store here in Denver. Wow the top was hot. I touched every imac in the store and all were HOT...except one (the ol' white version still on display but not for sale). I was ready to throw down the money anyway, but then the Apple rep got an attitude when I asked if the heat may cause problems, such as to the internals. She said all the reps were informing customers just "don't put anything on top of or close to the top of the imac and you'll be fine." Needless to say, I walked out without buying my new home system.

OMFG FOR **** SAKE, just because the aluminum is warm doesn't mean that it is a heat problem. ALUMINUM LEADS WARMTH, which makes the chassi a big heatsink (which is great) leads away the heat from the components. And why bother if it's worm on the top?, it's not like a laptop where you need to touch it to use it (i hate laptops just because of the heat).

But on iMac this isn't a problem at all ! lel

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
OMFG FOR **** SAKE, just because the aluminum is worm doesn't mean that it is a heat problem. ALUMINUM LEADS WORMTH, which makes the chassi a big heatsink (which is great) leads away the heat from the components. And why bother if it's worm on the top?, it's not like a laptop where you need to touch it to use it (i hate laptops just cause of the heat).

*ralph voice* its made of plastic *un-ralph voice*

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
OMFG FOR **** SAKE, just because the aluminum is worm doesn't mean that it is a heat problem. ALUMINUM LEADS WORMTH, which makes the chassi a big heatsink (which is great) leads away the heat from the components. And why bother if it's worm on the top?, it's not like a laptop where you need to touch it to use it (i hate laptops just cause of the heat).

Very good point. By the way, a worm is a little brown thing that lives underground, you want "warm".

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
Since its aluminum, it might be possible to drill some cooling holes in
the top of the case. Of course, be neat and don't hit anything.

Tyr.

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
Antwerp, Belgium
OK, so I've used the iMac for a couple of days now and felt the back of it regularly to see if it was getting warm (or as my girlfriend put it "are you stroking your damn computer again?" :D) and it does get warm to the touch, but not "hot".

If you check out the disassembly pictures and compare with the warm spots on the case you can easily make out where the components are. The hd-area (under the glossy apple logo on the back) gets slightly less warm than any external hd enclosure I've ever owned. The heatpipe and gpu (right side mid to top looking at the back) gets a little warmer, but nothing alarming and it's located right between a fan at the bottom and the case opening at the top so it's well ventilated. This is all after testing things like Civ4 which does require a lot of gpu and processot power.

All in all it doesn't get warmer than any laptop I've owned.

DemNoir

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
I encoded video for hours yesterday. The top right hand side of the iMac gets warm, never hot. The Aluminum case tranfers heat very well, this is good. Warm outside means less heat inside.

So take your hands of the case and get some work done!

Trout74

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
quit touching your computers!

Seriously guys, you need to stop touching your computers looking for the " hot spots" sounds a little perverted!:p

Trout

c.joe.go

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2007
the nexus of the universe
i have used my new 2.4 24" for medium/heavy use over the last week. the top can get extremely hot. as it has been said however, it is aluminum so it will be carrying more heat out of the system than the white imacs. additionally, the internal components run at comfortable temperatures and even with fans running the system is silent.

MikeLeatardo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
When I first posted...

My new iMac was set up in a work nook - with very poor air circulation. I've put a small quiet desk fan there and now my iMac is just warm - rather than HOT.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
For purposes of comparison, right now running iTunes, Safari, Activity Monitor and widgets, my MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.0GHz (original - Mar 2006) has temperature readings of: CPU - 59C, Case Bottom - 33C, Ambient - 23C, GPU - 53C, Memory controller - 53C. Both right & left fans are running @1000RPM, but, I can't hear them. The MacBook feels warm on my lap, but quite bearable. The case is always hottest by the hinge where the vents are.

I personally think the new iMac will be fine. I might also say I have a 24" 2.8GHz model on order so I might be a little bias. :D
What program do you use to see the fan speeds? I used Temperature Monitor and it says things like: Power Supply Position 1 64°C, Graphics Processor Temperature D 63°C, are those high numbers or not? I don't know what to compare with. Other temperatures are about 40-50.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Seriously guys, you need to stop touching your computers looking for the " hot spots" sounds a little perverted!:p

Trout

Only at the bar can looking for the hot spots by feel get you in trouble. ;)

But alcohol will do that to you, and it will help dull the pain when somebody pounds you into the pavement.

basherhp2112

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2007
Thanks for the Widget

By "surfing the web" do you mean reading sites like this, or watching video and animation on sites like YouTube? Download iStat Pro and give us some temperature readings. Otherwise it is hard to know what "hot" or "normal" means. Thanks.

I knew their had be to a Widget out there that would show the temperature of the Mac.

I will download iStat Pro and post my results tonight.

Thanks...

Peace :apple:

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
It ain't gonna melt!

Do you think a computer company would release such a machine without testing it for weeks on end on maximum load? They'll have had racks of them in the lab, testing and stressing them in all sorts of ways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.