Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Aug 21, 2007, 08:30 PM   #1
NewSc2
macrumors 65816

How do I delete photos on my iPhone?

I imported some photos taken with my iPhone to my computer, and put them in a few albums. Now I'm in iPhoto and I can't delete any of the photos off my iPhone.

Can anybody help or explain how this syncing works?
NewSc2 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 09:09 PM   #2
kntgsp
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSc2 View Post
I imported some photos taken with my iPhone to my computer, and put them in a few albums. Now I'm in iPhoto and I can't delete any of the photos off my iPhone.

Can anybody help or explain how this syncing works?
2 ways:

1. When you click "import photos" while syncing your iPhone it asks you if you want to keep the originals or delete them (meaning on the iPhone). Just click delete originals

2. Go into your iPhone and clear all photos.
kntgsp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:44 PM   #3
NewSc2
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kntgsp View Post
2 ways:

1. When you click "import photos" while syncing your iPhone it asks you if you want to keep the originals or delete them (meaning on the iPhone). Just click delete originals

2. Go into your iPhone and clear all photos.
1st way -- "importing photos" will ask to replace the duplicates, and I've modified those.

2nd -- How do I do that? In iTunes?
NewSc2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:18 PM   #4
droverton
macrumors newbie

Quote:
1st way -- "importing photos" will ask to replace the duplicates, and I've modified those.

2nd -- How do I do that?
If you mean a group of photos, I can't help you there. You can go in to your photos though and delete them individually by tapping "Photos", tapping whatever "Photo Album" you want to delete from, and tapping the individual photo to enlarge it. Now look at the bottom right-hand corner. There should be a trashcan icon. Tap it and delete. Is that what you mean?

Anyway, good luck.
droverton is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:24 PM   #5
plumbingandtech
macrumors 68000

You need to delete them individually.

I ran into a bug last night, iphoto keep seeing 26 photos that had been deleted on my iphone.

I could not get rid of them. (including the delete originals when importing from iphoto.)

So i unchecked all my photo album rolls/folders in the photos tab of itunes (sync).

synced.

delete by hand all my photos on the iphone using the trashcan (took a while).

synced again.

AND then restarted my mac.

that part is important as the cache would not go away unless i did the restart and the 26 photos would still be "seen"

I did not lose any photos though.

seems like one of them became corrupted or something...
plumbingandtech is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 06:07 PM   #6
NewSc2
macrumors 65816

I need to check when I get back home, but I recall not being able to open up any of the images I had on my iPhone through iPhoto.
NewSc2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 06:17 PM   #7
plumbingandtech
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I need to check when I get back home, but I recall not being able to open up any of the images I had on my iPhone through iPhoto.
that's was my problem. and threw up a message about the ones in "private/tmp/" etc could not be opened.
plumbingandtech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 07:37 PM   #8
ravenvii
macrumors 604

Remove photos from iPhone?

I have a few photos on the iPhone I want removed (not photos taken by the iPhone, photos that are synced with iPhoto). How do I remove them?

The photos are not in iPhoto. I tried re-syncing, but the photos wouldn't be removed. I had it in iPhoto before, it got synced into the iPhone, then I reinstalled OS X, so it's all gone. But the iPhone refuses to remove the photos even if I try to sync.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 07:43 PM   #9
one1
macrumors 65816

Install mobile finder so you can delete, move, or copy anything you want in the future.
one1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 07:52 PM   #10
tsvb
macrumors 6502

So you can't go into Photos go to the picture and click on the trash can?
tsvb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 07:55 PM   #11
ravenvii
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsvb View Post
So you can't go into Photos go to the picture and click on the trash can?
There are no trash icon. Go look for yourself. You can only delete photos taken by the iPhone. But photos that are imprted into the iPhone from iPhoto during a sync cannot be deleted.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:09 AM   #12
ivi7
macrumors 6502a

What if you restore your iPhone through itunes. That should get rid of the photos and then when it tries to sync itself with iPhoto it wont find anything there so you wont have them on your phone thereafter.
ivi7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 01:01 AM   #13
ravenvii
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivi7 View Post
What if you restore your iPhone through itunes. That should get rid of the photos and then when it tries to sync itself with iPhoto it wont find anything there so you wont have them on your phone thereafter.
Yeah that's the obvious solution I thought of, but don't you think this is a major oversight/bug? You should not have to restore the iPhone to get rid of photos.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 01:06 AM   #14
strurtle
macrumors member

Go to your iphone in itunes. Go to the photos tab. Uncheck the album that you don't want and sync.

Sorry, was reading your post too fast....best bet is to restore em.
strurtle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 01:12 AM   #15
ivi7
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenvii View Post
Yeah that's the obvious solution I thought of, but don't you think this is a major oversight/bug? You should not have to restore the iPhone to get rid of photos.
I absolutely agree with you, these kind of things should not happen. There is no reason for any photos to be on your iphone which arent in your iphoto.
ivi7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 08:12 PM   #16
ravenvii
macrumors 604

I solved the problem (without restoring).

When I checked the "Sync Photos" box, and had the bullet at "Sync All Photos", it wouldn't work (it would revert to unchecked when I sync'ed). But for some reason, if I move the bullet to sync "Selected Albums", it worked.

And now I move the bullet back to "All photos", it works fine.

So this is obviously a bug.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 08:19 PM   #17
CWallace
macrumors Demi-God

Changing the settings from "Sync photos from iPhoto" to "sync photos from Pictures" will do it, as well. That is how I added and removed new pictures that were in the folder I wish to sync, but somehow were not being added or removed via iPhoto.
CWallace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:10 PM   #18
chancchiu
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up how to delete photos

There is a quick and easy way to delete photos,

Delete all you photos in every folder or the delete the folders in iPhoto

Sync with your iphone.

all photos will be deleted
chancchiu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 05:15 PM   #19
DavidPreacher
macrumors newbie

Remove photos from iPhone?

Create a folder on the desktop, name it, drag desired photos from iPhoto to that folder, and select that folder in iPhone/Photo sync where you select where to get the photos from. Any undesired photos on iPhone will be removed in the sync process.
DavidPreacher is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 09:37 PM   #20
walky
macrumors newbie

I have a similar problem, With over 200 pictures in my camera roll I do not want to click 200 times on the trashcan to remove them. Any help?
walky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:56 PM   #21
cience
macrumors newbie

similar issue

iPhone 3GS, under

--> settings
--> wallpaper

there is a 'photo library' folder, 'last roll' folder and 'last 12 months' folder.

in each folder there are the same 4 photos that i cannot delete.

i've tried to re-sync, i've tried to create a desktop folder to re-sync, and i've tried to un-sync and restart. the photos remain in those same three folders under the 'wallpaper' tab.

any ideas?
cience is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 07:28 AM   #22
winkelmander
macrumors newbie

Alright, I found a simple solution for this problem. Go into iPhoto, and select to import all the photos from your iPhone again. iPhoto will then tell you the photos are duplicates of photos already present in your photo library. Check the box 'apply to all duplicates' and then click 'Don't import'. iPhoto will then quickly go through all your photos, and when done will give you the option to Keep or Delete the originals on your phone. Select delete, and you're done
winkelmander is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 03:34 PM   #23
Dragonbreath
macrumors newbie

Question No trash can

Quote:
Originally Posted by droverton View Post
If you mean a group of photos, I can't help you there. You can go in to your photos though and delete them individually by tapping "Photos", tapping whatever "Photo Album" you want to delete from, and tapping the individual photo to enlarge it. Now look at the bottom right-hand corner. There should be a trashcan icon. Tap it and delete. Is that what you mean?

Anyway, good luck.
I import pics from my Mac and want delete from my iPhone. When I tap individual pics, tap to enlarge there is no trash can
Dragonbreath is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 04:50 PM   #24
WhySoSerious
macrumors 65816

- if you take pictures with your iphone and do NOT import them to iPhoto… to delete the photo off the phone, just tap on the photo and you will see a trash icon in the lower right. tap the trash can.

- if you take pictures with your iphone and DO import them to iPhoto…. those photos will now be considered an "iPhoto Album"….and when you sync those photos BACK to your iphone, you can NOT delete them from the phone. it's protected. in order to remove those photos, you have to delete them from iPhoto either individually or the whole album…then re-sync

- if you take pictures with your iphone and DO import them to iPhoto…. those photos will now be considered an "iPhoto Album"…. if you want to KEEP the photos on iPhoto but do not want them on your phone, just plug your phone in to itunes to synce, click on the Photo's tab, and deselect the album you want the phone to exclude when syncing.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 08:34 AM   #25
dave2lk
macrumors newbie

Remove photos use Image Capture

Hello, I had over 250 photos, and finally found a simple solution - use image capture.

If you have a mac, and IMAGE CAPTURE apple program should be installed, (mine automatically pops up when plug in my iphone), choose OPTIONS ---> "Delete items off camera after downloading" and voila - you have downloaded all the pics to the folder of your choice, and the pictures are then deleted off the iphone! No itunes synching necessary! Great when you are at a friends house too
dave2lk is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting