Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
Hello, I had over 250 photos, and finally found a simple solution - use image capture.

If you have a mac, and IMAGE CAPTURE apple program should be installed, (mine automatically pops up when plug in my iphone), choose OPTIONS ---> "Delete items off camera after downloading" and voila - you have downloaded all the pics to the folder of your choice, and the pictures are then deleted off the iphone! No itunes synching necessary! Great when you are at a friends house too

That only works for photos on the CameraRoll

AZP

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2009
Here is how I hit it:

Via the Cync, from iTunes: when connected the iPhone to the the computer, iTunes window popped up; clicked on the iPhone under "devices" on the left, then went through all tabs in the menu to do the settings; First check-marked "Cync photos from iPhoto and "All photos and albums" to import all images to my iPhone. Then - unchecked everything check-marked, including the list of albums in the body below - basically followed the reverse steps to un-do the previous setting for "photos". Then followed the information/warning that appeared in a message in another window. All albums were deleted from the iphone "photos" app.

David Holm

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2009
Hello, you can delete them from your iTunes library and then sync or you can open the photo app on your iPhone click the picture go to the trashcan on the lower right side and click delete.

itsadoozy

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
- if you take pictures with your iphone and do NOT import them to iPhoto… to delete the photo off the phone, just tap on the photo and you will see a trash icon in the lower right. tap the trash can.

- if you take pictures with your iphone and DO import them to iPhoto…. those photos will now be considered an "iPhoto Album"….and when you sync those photos BACK to your iphone, you can NOT delete them from the phone. it's protected. in order to remove those photos, you have to delete them from iPhoto either individually or the whole album…then re-sync

- if you take pictures with your iphone and DO import them to iPhoto…. those photos will now be considered an "iPhoto Album"…. if you want to KEEP the photos on iPhoto but do not want them on your phone, just plug your phone in to itunes to synce, click on the Photo's tab, and deselect the album you want the phone to exclude when syncing.

Thanks I found this post most helpful. After receiving a MMS message I saved the photo on the iPhone, and had sync'd with iTunes and iPhoto. After doing this the option of a Trash Can no longer existed on this photo, but did for all other photos on the phone.

I followed steps above and exported the photo out of iPhoto, and then deleted it. After sync, the photo form the MMS had been deleted off the phone.

As mentioned, is seems that once you sync with iphoto, the only way to delete off the phone is to do it on your PC/Mac. Not ideal, and I think the phone should have a setting to allow you to override this, so you have full control at your fingertips whenever you want.

davidgchristie

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2009
Deleting Photograhps from Iphone

I had a separate folder with 500 photos imported from the hard drive that I wanted to delete from the phone so I opened Picasa, found the folder (on the hard drive) containing the photographs I wanted to remove from the Iphone, selected all, deleted them all (obviosly archive them off the PC if you want to keep them) and then synchronised the Iphone again and voila, they were all whisked off within a blink. Love this tech.:rolleyes:

o.j.

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
It still doesn't work for me. I have over 2000 pictures taken from my Iphone, and I need to free up some space. When I sync with iTunes, there is no option to deselect the camera roll folder, only the folders I already have created in iPhoto. So I still can't delete the pictures I took with the iPhone and leave them on the Mac, where I have plenty of space

Thanks I found this post most helpful. After receiving a MMS message I saved the photo on the iPhone, and had sync'd with iTunes and iPhoto. After doing this the option of a Trash Can no longer existed on this photo, but did for all other photos on the phone.

I followed steps above and exported the photo out of iPhoto, and then deleted it. After sync, the photo form the MMS had been deleted off the phone.

As mentioned, is seems that once you sync with iphoto, the only way to delete off the phone is to do it on your PC/Mac. Not ideal, and I think the phone should have a setting to allow you to override this, so you have full control at your fingertips whenever you want.

CPO1

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2009
How to delete/remove photos

Hi All.
I'm having the same problem. Have tried the solutions found so far but nothing is removing these persistent photos. They were synced from iphoto to my iphone and are simply stuck there :(
I'm concerned because the photos do not appear in iphoto when I click on my iphone device tab, it does'nt see them on the phone, only pics I've taken with the phone.
What to do:confused:
Phone is unlocked from Apple so not jailbroken.
Please help

CPO1

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2009
Removing photos

Hi again.
I just tried unchecking the tick box to sync all photos and then ticked apply, itunes then asked if I wished for it to remove the photos it had previously imported to the phone, I ticked yes and now the photos are gone, so it seems I cannot choose just one photo, all the photos are gone except those that were took by the iphone.
How can I import a single photo from iphoto ?

Madmat

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2009
The Actual Solution!

This should work if it doesnt then your itunes fails.

To delete the photos off your iphone or ipod or watever simply do the following.

1. Open up itunes and click on your iphone/ipod.

2. Select the photos tab.

3. Where is has the ticked box "sync photos from" just click on the box again.

4. Itunes will ask if you want to remove all previously synced photos, Click delete!

Thats all it is. (WARNING!!! This gets rid of all photos)

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Alright, I found a simple solution for this problem. Go into iPhoto, and select to import all the photos from your iPhone again. iPhoto will then tell you the photos are duplicates of photos already present in your photo library. Check the box 'apply to all duplicates' and then click 'Don't import'. iPhoto will then quickly go through all your photos, and when done will give you the option to Keep or Delete the originals on your phone. Select delete, and you're done :)

Did this. I click delete and the originals are not removed from the phone. It's some wierd bug.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
iPhone 3GS, under

--> settings
--> wallpaper

there is a 'photo library' folder, 'last roll' folder and 'last 12 months' folder.

in each folder there are the same 4 photos that i cannot delete.

i've tried to re-sync, i've tried to create a desktop folder to re-sync, and i've tried to un-sync and restart. the photos remain in those same three folders under the 'wallpaper' tab.

any ideas?

I have a 2nd generation iPod Touch and I have a similar problem to the one above.
settings --> general --> wallpaper --> saved photos.

Now I have 8 pictures in that directory. Two are an album cover, 3 are a picture of the iPod Touch screen, and the last 3 are of a picture of the earth. I have no idea how they got there and I have tried to get them off but can't. Read this thread and tried the method and got to the point where iTunes asked if I wanted to delete all photos from my iPod. I said yes but those pictures are still there.... any ideas?

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I have a 2nd generation iPod Touch and I have a similar problem to the one above.
settings --> general --> wallpaper --> saved photos.

Now I have 8 pictures in that directory. Two are an album cover, 3 are a picture of the iPod Touch screen, and the last 3 are of a picture of the earth. I have no idea how they got there and I have tried to get them off but can't. Read this thread and tried the method and got to the point where iTunes asked if I wanted to delete all photos from my iPod. I said yes but those pictures are still there.... any ideas?

I'm going to answer my own question. With my iPod attached to my mac, I started iPhoto, and selected my iPod Touch. I then imported those saved photos from my ipod touch into iPhoto. iPhoto then asked if I wanted to delete those photos from my iPod Touch and I said yes. They are now off of my iPod Touch.

Tarka The Otter

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2010
deleting photos from iphone

My brother in law gave me his old iphone - it's not the latest model.
Orange would not let me get out my contract as there is still a year and some to go. However, I've upgraded to an iphone bundle.
But the phone is still registered under his name and it is also locked? ie he told me not to upgrade when I sync with my mac.
I've looked at all the threads re deleting photos, I've tried the image capture thing but that didn't work and I'm too scared to do too much in case I loose everything.
I've been looking for hours on the internet but I need instructions for a complete beginner and a very non tech orientated person on how to proceed.
I'd like to delete his photos .
Thanks
TTO

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
My brother in law gave me his old iphone - it's not the latest model.
Orange would not let me get out my contract as there is still a year and some to go. However, I've upgraded to an iphone bundle.
But the phone is still registered under his name and it is also locked? ie he told me not to upgrade when I sync with my mac.
I've looked at all the threads re deleting photos, I've tried the image capture thing but that didn't work and I'm too scared to do too much in case I loose everything.
I've been looking for hours on the internet but I need instructions for a complete beginner and a very non tech orientated person on how to proceed.
I'd like to delete his photos .
Thanks
TTO

Just sync from a folder with no pics and the iPhone pics will be deleted. If you have pics that you want to sync, then sync from the folders that you have pics and all his pics will be deleted.

a1southernbelle

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
easy way to remove

before you sync phone move file on computer out of my pictures file so it will not be included, or delete from computer that is the easiest way. then sync and photos not in my pictures will be removed from phone

dougl1000

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
I have a PC with itunes and an iphone 3g. I used the synch feature to download photos from the iphone, which it didn't do. But it did upload some picture folders into the phone, which I couldn't delete, as others have found.

After reading this forum, I created an empty folder in the preferences (advanced) tab in itunes under edit. Then I synched the phone to this empty folder - chosing the empty folder. After this, the unwanted photo folders on the phone disappeared.

To transfer photos from the iphone, I will hereafter use the windows scanner and camera wizard.

yennta

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
Changing the settings from "Sync photos from iPhoto" to "sync photos from Pictures" will do it, as well. That is how I added and removed new pictures that were in the folder I wish to sync, but somehow were not being added or removed via iPhoto.

This was the best and easiest answer for me. First, though, I had to wipe the phone. We'll see how it goes.

No, it still has ALL THE PHOTOS. I was able to create a folder on my desktop to sync to, and that worked. But all the photos in the album called camera roll are still there and cannot be deleted.

proshotstudio

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
for iphone 3gs iphone 4 how to delete multi photos and videos.

Deleting Photos and Videos
You can delete photos and videos from Camera Roll on iPhone.
Delete photos and videos:
1 Tap the right arrow in the upper-right corner of the screen.
2 Tap to select the photos and videos you want to delete.
The Delete button indicates the number of items you select.
3 Tap Delete.

jimerman

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2010
That rocks!

dave2lk, thanks! That works great. Now I feel even more sorry for PC users. I've been syncing my photos with iPhoto for months now, and have not been deleting them from the phone so they stay in the camera roll. That worked great, I synced them with Image Capture, then deleted the target folder, and the phone is clear. Then I can put them back on the phone from an iPhoto album.

RolandP

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
deleting photos

Total frustration. Since I don't have a MAC or iPhoto and synching with an empty folder did nothing, I had to HAND DELETE 600 photos. APPLE is loosing its luster.:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.