Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has reportedly halted shipments of its MacBook Pro MagSafe power adapter according to AppleInsider.

Several people familiar with the matter say the Cupertino-based firm began pulling inventory of the 85W power supplies from its retail stores a few weeks ago. Those same people say Apple also discontinued shipments to third party retailers ahead of "redesigned" models that are expected to ship sometime later this month of early next.

The site notes that several issues have been reported regarding Apple's power supplies. Indeed, our forums have been active regarding the issues, the most serious of which appears to be related to fraying of the wire at the base and near the MagSafe connector. Another more minor issue is related to the LED light not accurately displaying the charging status.

It should be noted that AppleInsider is very clear that the redesign appears to be intended for the MacBook Pro adapter, despite the issues being reported in both the 85W and 60W versions.

This would make the second time the MacBook Pro power adapter has been re-designed. Earlier this summer Apple released a smaller version of the adapter.

Article Link

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I'm honestly surprised why a recall hasn't been issued for this yet. People are apt to debate whether or not people are being too tough on their cords or not, but the fact still remains that a short happened, and the built-in circuit breaker did not activate to prevent the plastic from melting and a fire hazard from forming.

At the very least, it seems to me like there is a problem with the circuit breaker, if not remaining issues with how the insulation is constructed.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Why is Apple so bad at making power adaptors for their portables? I know of so many people who have had broken ones despite taking good care of them. One of my own started sparking(!), and the one they gave me to replace it with has to be rotated a certain way or the power will cut out. My girlfriend's is fraying right at the plug, and my friend's is breaking at the connection to the brick. The reviews of them on Apple's website are horrible.

Get with it, Apple!

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Yep...I ordered one almost a week ago -- said 2-3 weeks backorder. I just wanted a spare, but maybe they'll recall all of them so I can get my original one replaced. Right now it's working fine, but it does worry me when I read stories about frayed wires and whatever.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 306

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
I haven't seen any issues with mine or any of my friends' Macbooks or Macbook Pros (gotta be at least a dozen total). It's shown the wrong LED light a couple times, but that's a couple out of a few hundred times I'd looked at it.

irun5k

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2005
I haven't seen any issues with mine or any of my friends' Macbooks or Macbook Pros (gotta be at least a dozen total). It's shown the wrong LED light a couple times, but that's a couple out of a few hundred times I'd looked at it.

No problem with the adapter on my Macbook either. I don't dispute that others are having legitimate problems though- which leads me to think it isn't a design problem but a manufacturing/quality control problem?

MLeepson

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
USA
Does Apple really have a worse track record than other computer vendors?

This is one thing that Apple is not good at. I complained about my PB G4 adapters. (I have 3, each one is burnt and melted and one sparks) I know have to go to the store for them to look at it because what I said over the phone wasn't good enough. :rolleyes: It's ridiculous.

burn808

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2007
Another redesign??

Unbelievable. Only just bought the latest version because the old version was too big.Must admit that I haven't had any problems with either but those pics are really worrying - no house fires please....

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
Yeah, I noticed the LED light not working for me all the time either. Earlier this year the cord almost frayed. Maybe this time I'll get the newly designed "smaller" version.

-=|Mgkwho

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
yeah my new mbp 2.4 was a missng its adapter i called to see if they would send one out and it been 3 weeks. they said they wouldnt be sent out for 4-5 weeks so hopefully soon ill get a new one.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
yeah my new mbp 2.4 was a missng its adapter i called to see if they would send one out and it been 3 weeks. they said they wouldnt be sent out for 4-5 weeks so hopefully soon ill get a new one.

How can you use a laptop without that? I would be incredibly po'ed if I had to wait that long for the adapter.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
no love for the regular macbook

I had my adapter replaced under warranty due to premature fraying. :(

What does this fraying look like? I think my adapter has been frayed for over a year now. Anyone have a pic?

kvasir

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
My MBP power adapter frayed near the MagSafe port a while back. It was fine for a while and started to look brown and I started to smell something burning. Got up a few seconds later to get something out of the oven and the whole thing had melted and had exposed the wiring.

Took it to the Apple store and the genius said "Sorry, can't do anything about it. You can buy a new one." I told him how this could have set fire to my apartment and how it literally just sits around on a desk and hardly ever gets moved. After a few minutes of bickering about how I had AppleCare and how this is a safety hazard, he went to the back and got me a new power adapter. It's "the last one I'm getting" were his words.

Glad to see it's a little more widespread. My new one hasn't given me trouble, but if there is a recall, I'll welcome a new one!

Attachments

• burned magsafe.jpg
    burned magsafe.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 203

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2007
USA
I bought my MBP in June but havent had any problems with my power adaptor. The only problem is that it is HUGE compared to the new "smaller" ones. You guys think they will do a recall and I will be able to get a new one?

ginoledesma

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2002
Philippines
The fraying isn't unique to the MagSafe adapters, though. The adapters during the iBook G3/G4 era were prone to that also. At least there were cheaper alternatives to consider (e.g. MacAlly).

The MagSafe adapters have been the most defect-prone, though. The first round it was about melting strips, as well as "buzzing" it generated when plugged in.

At least they're doing something to correct this. But I think a recall will only be issued if this has gotten critical mass.

Billy Boo Bob

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
Dark Side Of The Moon
How to tell...

Anyone know how to tell what adapters they're on about? My sister just brought home a shiny new hi-rez MBP 17 and it has an adapter in it... But I don't know if it's different or not since I've never seen an "old" one.

She has an A1222 model number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.