Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clayk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
My iPhone seems to be stuck sending an email. The status at the bottom of the screen says "Sending 1 of 1". The progress bar is at the end but the message does not go away. The result is that I cannot send or receive any mail.

I thought the logical thing to do was to delete the email, or at least see what it was, in the outbox, but there does not seem to be an outbox.

Reset does not help and I am it happens on wifi and Edge.

Anyone seen this or have a solution?

Thanks.

Clay

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Have you connected it to your computer at all? This might get rid of it by making the phone sync. If you have done a reset and connected it to your computer and still nothing has worked I guess all that is left is to restore your phone.

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
East fix. Well, it should be... Go into mail and then hold the home button down until the springboard appears. You have force-quit Mail and its services. Open mail back up and it should resend it or uf it did actually go out, send nothing.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
I've had this a LOT on my iPhone, in fact this last week it's been practically every time I've tried to send mail, both over wifi and Edge/GPRS.

Curiously, while it's sending, making a phone call makes it send straight away as soon as the call connects (I get the swoosh sent mail sound).

Tried force quitting, resetting etc., and it's still the same.

Can anyone suggest anything?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I am having the same issues starting today with sending a message!

Same here, I never had this issue for the last two months, and now it just appeared as an issue today.

Resetting, full restore, forcequit does not work for me.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Same here, I never had this issue for the last two months, and now it just appeared as an issue today.

Resetting, full restore, forcequit does not work for me.

Fixed the problem, I had two email accounts. The outbox appeared in the first mailbox (even if i was sending the email from second mailbox) and I think Mail got confused on which smtp server to send it thru and thus the stuck email came up. I was able to go into the outbox to delete it.

cgmpowers

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2002
iTouch also had this problem...

I have an iTouch and just had this problem too..

Thanks for the fix, holding the home button reset it and its fine for now..

Chris

kiviuq

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2008
email problems

just recently got an iphone , unlocked to work in canada. I can't access email won't send or receive. put in configurations , still nothing . can anybody help? G

dzanter

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2009
My iPhone seems to be stuck sending an email. The status at the bottom of the screen says "Sending 1 of 1". The progress bar is at the end but the message does not go away. The result is that I cannot send or receive any mail.

I thought the logical thing to do was to delete the email, or at least see what it was, in the outbox, but there does not seem to be an outbox.

Reset does not help and I am it happens on wifi and Edge.

Anyone seen this or have a solution?

Thanks.

Clay

I had the same problem where my email was stuck and there was no Outbox.

One way I found to get out of it. I turned on airplane mode. Sent a new email. Now I can see my outbox; Then I deleted both of the emails from the outbox, and turned airplane mode off.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Since OS 3.0 came out, I can no longer cause Mail to force quit by holding the home button. In fact, it doesn't look like I can get any app to force quit in that manner.

Anyone else? Maybe I need to restore the device... :confused:

Edit: I just went to the Apple discussion forum, where I found a post that says that with the introduction of OS 3.0, the method to force quit an application has changed, Hold down the sleep button until the red slider appears. Release the sleep button and then hold down the home button. This works to force quit, for me at least. Is this news only to me? Everyone else knew about the change?? It turns out that this is on page 46 of the latest version of the manual. Apple doesn't do much to help those of us who update our firmware. They could have included this in a release notes document.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This happens quite a lot with my wife's 3G phone since it got upgraded to 3.0.

It never happens to mine (3GS) aside from the different model types, she does have a lot of email accounts defined and hardly syncs her phone with the computer.

Forcing quitting seems to handle it, but I'll see if syncing the phone on a regular basis resolves it as well.

npep

macrumors member
May 7, 2007
I have had the same issue and have just ignored it until I saw this post. I put my phone in airplane mode. Created an email and sent it. Made sure it was in the outbox and turned airplane mode off. The email sent and the "1 unsent email message" has disappeared from the bottom of the mail screen.

Like I said, it was an annoyance, but I am now glad it is gone.

Thanks guys!

KenIam

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2010
Turn off wifi, use 3g and one mail account.

Was just having the same problem sending a three word email reply. Stuck sending. I have a wifi and 3g connection and 3 email accounts. I tried solutions posted here with no luck. Looked in iphone manual of all places and found a possible solution. It suggested turning off wifi under settings, in order to use 3g only. Did so and email went. I tried another test email and it went instantly. But, at that time I had only one email account turned on. I turned on another account to receive the test email and turned wifi back on and tried another test. Locked up again. Had to turn off phone, turn off wifi, turn off all but one email account and leave only in 3g. Tried another test. Went instantly. Turned 3g off and wifi on. Tried another test. Locked up.
Turned wifi off and 3g on. As soon as I went into mail the test message sent.

Solution in my case for lock up in sending mode seems to be: Have only one email account on and use 3g. :rolleyes:

sam20ae

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2010
1-Turn off the phone by pressing the on/off bottom for 3-5 sec
2- Slide the to power off -the phone will be off now
3-Turn the phone on, by pressing the on/off bottom again
The problem solved

jasontoddrockey

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
stuck on send

East fix. Well, it should be... Go into mail and then hold the home button down until the springboard appears. You have force-quit Mail and its services. Open mail back up and it should resend it or uf it did actually go out, send nothing.

Hello Unity, when you enter mail application and hold the home button the voice recognition application starts.....what springboard are you refering too? I also have the problem and our company is using exchange to sink with phones. Since dowloading the new Itunes application my Iphone will not sink either. Working with apple to fix the last days. please explain further if you would be so kind.

pentimento

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2009
I had the same problem where my email was stuck and there was no Outbox.

One way I found to get out of it. I turned on airplane mode. Sent a new email. Now I can see my outbox; Then I deleted both of the emails from the outbox, and turned airplane mode off.

Thank you so much for this post. I have had an email stuck sending for several days on my iPad imap account. Finally able to delete it!:)

Hummy

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2010
London, United Kingdom
I've been using Google Sync (Microsoft Exchange Server) and recently added a regular Google IMAP account to sync my notes between my phone and email but this account seems to have been the culprit as soon as I deleted it, the messages in my Outbox made their way to wherever they needed to be.

AlfieJ

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2003
Albuquerque, NM
Imap

This bug can be triggered by accounts marked as inactive. Try deleting the account and see what happens.

I found this out because I had an old GMail IMAP account on my iPhone that was set to an inactive state, and had the same stuck outbox problems. After deleting that inactive account all my stuck emails were sent immediately.

mommysuch

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2010
3G outbound message with invalid e-address

Won't send important message due to invalid e-address, but won't identify which is problem and won't send to those with valid addresses. Very frustrating! Any brilliant suggestions?

JazJon

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2008
This bug can be triggered by accounts marked as inactive. Try deleting the account and see what happens.

I found this out because I had an old GMail IMAP account on my iPhone that was set to an inactive state, and had the same stuck outbox problems. After deleting that inactive account all my stuck emails were sent immediately.

Thanks, same exact problem. (GMail IMAP inactive, primary GMail Exchange active) I deleted the unused IMAP account and now my mail sends every time.

It was so annoying thinking I sent someone an email only to discover it didnt send hours or days later. I'm back in action.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
I have had the same issue and have just ignored it until I saw this post. I put my phone in airplane mode. Created an email and sent it. Made sure it was in the outbox and turned airplane mode off. The email sent and the "1 unsent email message" has disappeared from the bottom of the mail screen.

Like I said, it was an annoyance, but I am now glad it is gone.

Thanks guys!

excellent post. Fixed the problem. Althought "created an email and sent it." part is not required.

jkosterhout

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2015
excellent post. Fixed the problem. Althought "created an email and sent it." part is not required.

I know this thread is old and dead but perhaps someone else will run across this as I did while searching for a solution.

I tried forwarding an email that had an attachment of 3MB from my iPhone 5C running iOS 8.4.1 the other day. It ended up freezing my mail and constantly trying to download the 3MB file. The problem started on Monday and went all the way thru Friday (today), in that time I was in and out of many wifi locations. Nothing seemed to fix my problem. I tried removing email accounts and was just steps away from purging my phone and starting all over again from scratch. Came across this page as a last ditch effort before clicking the button. Turning my phone to airplane mode then going into my mail app worked perfectly dzanter. It stopped trying to download the 3MB pdf file and let me cancel out. Thank you so much to everyone that posted to this thing years ago and not killing old threads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.