Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you stop or continue using .mac due to Gmail gaining IMAP?

• Will not renew .mac

Votes: 14 10.7%
  • Will continue to renew .mac

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • Have never subscribed to .mac so this doesn't change anything.

Votes: 75 57.3%

• Total voters

kurzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Well, now that Google has added IMAP server to their Gmail, will this affect how you renew/purchase/use .Mac?

Personally, I think .mac still has and will have (with Leopard) features that are worth keeping like iDisk, settings and dock synchronization etc. But...I will probably start using gmail as my primary again since I don't want to lose my emails one day when I stop or can't pay for .mac. What do you think?

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
i really don't know about imap. how is it different than pop. I'm assuming gmail will now act like your .mac mail did? I'm finding less and less reason to hold on .mac. I was sure i was gonna let it go until back to my mac came up as a feature. Now i don't know. If i can to the same thing with remote desktop i won't keep it. it's not that it has bad features it's that they are overpriced and more importantly don't work well. i really used it as a back up. I would delete contacts from my address book. Sync them .mac asking it to replace the data in .mac with the new computer data and when i synced again later all the address i deleted before would reappear, basically meaning it wasn't syncing properly.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
it syncs up your account across multiple platforms.. So if you read an email on your phone before you see it on your computer, it comes up ad read on your computer too... It also adds all your folders from your internet account to your iPhone. And you don't get that annoying sent items in your inbox like you do with pop.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
IMAP is different than POP in that your messages are not downloaded (or removed) from the server, rather, your email client simply acts as an reader for the messages stored on the server.

Honestly, I've hated Gmail since day one. ...I'm still using AOL, which has always had IMAP. ;)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
today. they made it an option to those that were earlier adopters of gmail
Oddly enough, it's an option for a newer gmail account of mine-- but not for my oldest (and primary) account. :( DAMN IT! Argh!

peedub

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2006
i'm still hanging out for IMAP option and i've had my gmail account since 6/27/04 apparently!

been waiting for this for a while

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Interesting. You're seriously the only person I've ever talked to who didn't swear by Gmail.
Me too. :D

Seriously, I've never understood the hype. My AOL mail (gasp!) can match all of Gmail's features plus more.

Honestly, what really irks me about gmail is my inability to get a reasonable length screen name, and I signed up early on in the trial.

...There just wasn't any incentive to switch.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Couldn't quite believe my eyes this morning when I saw on engadget that Google had finally taken the step. I hate POP email which is why I've never used mail.app with Gmail, this may change now...cool.

Google FTW.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I am on the fence on it. I used Outlook to handle all my email (desktop is a PC) and I did not like how when I set it up all the mail went to a completely different spot in the folders than I was expecting and took me a while to find it. Plus it really mucks things up when I have 4 email address all going to my computer. I treat them all the same because they all go into the same spot as far as I care. Only annoying if I need a email from school and I have to check multiple accounts. That and I have quite a few folders I use to keep track of all the email.
And before some one comments on the fact that I have 4 active email accounts I like to explain why I have 4. I have my school address, my SBC address that I had for years, my first gmail account (that I used for signing up for stuff) and my primary Gmail account.
SBC and the first Gmail account user name are not proffesional so I do not use them for anything and mail I need still gets sent there. The school email address I am losing in 6 months so I needed something to replace it and so low and behold my professional gmail account was born.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Interesting. You're seriously the only person I've ever talked to who didn't swear by Gmail.

I swear by gmail. I used to use Yahoo mail for my business and between the better search feature and 100 times better spam protection, Gmail has done me good.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Hallelujah!

It works quite nicely with Mail.app. Flag a message will add a star to it in Gmail. All the labels are replicated as folders. Good stuff.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Question

With IMAP, why does a silver folder named "[Gmail]" appear in my drawer?

I get double emails, one to my "in" tray and one to this "[Gmail]" Folder.

I wanted to use this gmail folder because it has my sent items, can I put it in the "in" tray?

I'm guessing this is to make an ease-of-use barrier between the simplicity of .mac and other companies so people still choose .mac?

ibanana

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
can someone please post some pictures of the Gmail folders in iphone ?
i'm in the uk and still have to wait until the 9th of nov......annoying

MadDoc

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2005
UK
When was this announced?

I don't see a mention of it on the gmail.com home page.

MadDoc,

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
With IMAP, why does a silver folder named "[Gmail]" appear in my drawer?

I get double emails, one to my "in" tray and one to this "[Gmail]" Folder.

I wanted to use this gmail folder because it has my sent items, can I put it in the "in" tray?

I'm guessing this is to make an ease-of-use barrier between the simplicity of .mac and other companies so people still choose .mac?

Because Gmail uses Labels and not folders. And this is for everything. So whereas in Gmail you will see your message in Inbox, it will also be in All Mail. It has 2 labels 'Inbox' and 'All Mail'. When you archive a message in Gmail, all it does is remove the Inbox label, so that the message no longer appears in Inbox, but just in All Mail.

Its initially a hard concept to get your head around, but its a good solution for mapping over Gmails Labels to Mails folders.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Once your Gmail IMAP account is added to Mail, you’ll notice your [Gmail account] in the left sidebar.

1. Highlight ‘[Gmail] Sent Mail’ in the sidebar and select ‘Mailbox’ (menu bar) > ‘Use This Mailbox For’ > ‘Sent’.
2. Highlight ‘[Gmail] Drafts’ in the sidebar and select ‘Mailbox’ (menu bar) > ‘Use This Mailbox For’ > ‘Drafts’
3. Highlight ‘[Gmail] Trash’ in the sidebar and select ‘Mailbox’ (menu bar) > ‘Use This Mailbox For’ > ‘Trash’
4. Highlight ‘[Gmail] Spam’ in the sidebar and select ‘Mailbox’ (menu bar) > ‘Use This Mailbox For’ > ‘Junk’

http://5thirtyone.com/archives/862

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Once your Gmail IMAP account is added to Mail, you’ll notice your [Gmail account] in the left sidebar.

1. Highlight ‘[Gmail] Sent Mail’ in the sidebar and select ‘Mailbox’ (menu bar) > ‘Use This Mailbox For’ > ‘Sent’.
2. Highlight ‘[Gmail] Drafts’ in the sidebar and select ‘Mailbox’ (menu bar) > ‘Use This Mailbox For’ > ‘Drafts’
3. Highlight ‘[Gmail] Trash’ in the sidebar and select ‘Mailbox’ (menu bar) > ‘Use This Mailbox For’ > ‘Trash’
4. Highlight ‘[Gmail] Spam’ in the sidebar and select ‘Mailbox’ (menu bar) > ‘Use This Mailbox For’ > ‘Junk’

http://5thirtyone.com/archives/862

Can I some how disable the "All Mail" label in order to get rid of the duplications?
And remove the rest of the folders inside the [gmail] folder?

I like my sidebar tidy :)

EDIT:

It doesn't seem to be duplicating anymore so that is good.

sinbushar

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2002
Jersey
"[SIZE=-1] Sync your inbox across devices instantly and automatically. Whether you read or write your email on your phone or on your desktop, changes you make to Gmail will be seen from anywhere you access your inbox. Don't fret if you don't see "IMAP Access" yet under the Settings menu. We're rolling it out to everyone over the next few days." (Emphasis added by me)

Also, the official FAQ is up: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=12760

Oh, joyous day!!!

[/SIZE]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.