Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you stop or continue using .mac due to Gmail gaining IMAP?

• Will not renew .mac

Votes: 14 10.7%
  • Will continue to renew .mac

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • Have never subscribed to .mac so this doesn't change anything.

Votes: 75 57.3%

• Total voters

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i still like .mac, but gmail was already my main email account. i can't check to see if i have the new features, since i'm at work, but i'll check when i get home.

if i had to decide today, i'd still buy .mac if i had the money

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't care if it's POP or IMAP. Why are people so against POP? Why is it such a negative?

Also, I like emails being downloaded to my computer. I always have them, even if I don't have internet access. Am I missing something?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I've never used apple mail for much but I'll still keep .mac for the time being, mainly for iDisk. I like having a key set of files available on all my computers, whether they're on or offline. Also iCal publishing and subscribing is big.

I've never liked the idea of paying separately for my email service because if apple changes its terms and I don't like the service, then I have to change email addresses.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I swear by .Mac, and ever since the upgrades to the service it's been well worth the money. Now that I can access my files from anywhere over the Internet without having to setup and kind of FTP, just click the share button in .Mac options pane and BAM!

Now that I have ample storage and can order more, a possible family account in the future, and the ability to sync all of my information from computer to computer with the Apple ease that I have come to love, .Mac is just a dream and well worth the money.

I appreciate Gmail as a second account, but haven't used it much since .Mac started to act right. I considered dumping it one year but decided to have some faith in Apple, and they upgraded it before the year was out. I don't know what I am going to do with the Gmail account I have since no one sends anything to it anymore.

Oh well...

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
I don't care if it's POP or IMAP. Why are people so against POP? Why is it such a negative?

Also, I like emails being downloaded to my computer. I always have them, even if I don't have internet access. Am I missing something?

I've never minded POP either, but all my IMAP account mail is available on my PB even when I'm not connected. Am I missing something?

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Recommended IMAP client settings

All IMAP clients are a little different, and you can configure your mail client's settings to best suit your needs. However, in order for your client to work optimally with Gmail, we recommend the following client-specific settings:

* Do NOT save sent messages on the server. If your client is sending mail through Gmail's SMTP server, your sent messages will be automatically copied to the [Gmail]/Sent Mail folder.
* Do NOT save deleted messages on the server. Messages that are deleted from an IMAP folder (except for those in [Gmail]/Spam or [Gmail]/Trash) only have that label removed and still exist in All Mail. Hence, your client doesn't need to store an extra copy of a deleted message.
* DO save draft messages on the server. If you want your drafts in your mail client to sync correctly with your Gmail account's web interface, set your client to save drafts to the [Gmail]/Drafts folder.

cdd543

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2006
Denver
I don't have imap yet on mine so hurry up gmail... I will be keeping .mac account as I use it for so much more than mail. I use the web galleries/ idisk etc.

FunkyJunk

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Leesburg, VA, USA
Either this is not "push" email, or it's taking FOREVER to get emails sent to my phone. It's been 15 minutes since I sent a test message, and it has yet to automatically appear on my phone, even though it went into gmail's web client very quickly (it's still unread there).

Perhaps I'm missing something?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
hmm. I've been waiting for this, but my current set up (gmail with AOL completely in the background) works so well that I'm hesitant to change. I had problems with gmail/mail/iphone in the past, and although a change to IMAP *should* fix those problems, using AOL as invisible IMAP is basically a perfect solution anyway, so why mess with it?

teiresias

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
Either this is not "push" email, or it's taking FOREVER to get emails sent to my phone. It's been 15 minutes since I sent a test message, and it has yet to automatically appear on my phone, even though it went into gmail's web client very quickly (it's still unread there).

Perhaps I'm missing something?

IMAP != push

Still no IMAP on my account either, hurry up already!

iMartini

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
Seattle, USA
Figures... I switched from Gmail to .Mac a few weeks ago mainly because of .Mac's IMAP protocol. I found Gmail's POP system to be very clumsy when accessing it from Outlook on multiple computers.

(I had set Outlook on my work computer to leave a copy of all messages on the server, and I'd set Outlook on my home computer to download everything and delete the server copy, but Gmail wouldn't let me download anything that had already been downloaded by my work computer.)

Anyway, I switched to .Mac when I got my iPhone, and I set Gmail to automatically forward everything to my .Mac address. I couldn't be happier now. Besides, .Mac has some additional features that will come in useful when I get my Mac next month.

By the way, does anybody know how to cancel a Yahoo Mail account? I've had mine for years and I get dozens of spam messages a day on it (even with the spam filter on), and I'm fed up with it. All my friends and family use my .Mac address, and although I can easily delete the Yahoo account from Outlook, I haven't figured out how to cancel it altogether, or at least set up a rule that automatically deletes everything at the server end.

teiresias

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
If you don't log into your Yahoo account for 3 or 4 months they automatically disable it anyway. I can't log in at the moment to figure out how to just go ahead and kill it if you want to, though.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
Did you read the instructions on their help page. They use non standard port numbers and require authentication.

ya i read them over and over again ... making sure everything was right (they actually changed the instructions between 10pm last night and this morning ... interesting) ... but it turns out that my dyslexia was kicking in and i was spelling stmp smtp....... and that took over and hour to figure out ... grr...

iMartini

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
Seattle, USA

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
So the move to IMAP is great for being able to sync iphone and laptop email, but I have one question.

I don't so much care to even keep email on the phone, I just want to be able to read it on the phone, THEN download it at home (which currently can't be done easily or effectively without using recent mode, which sucks).

IMAP would solve this, BUT...I have Mail set up with dozens of rules which automatically sort my mail into a myriad of folders for work, mailing lists, friends, etc (32 rules, 52 folders). Since IMAP syncs everything, would I still be able to have the sorting done in Mail with my existing rules, or would I have to start from scratch so IMAP synced all up?

:) Sam

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC

Because it's inferior. POP is fine if you access email only from one computer. It will download all your messages and you'll have them there.

But as soon as you use a second computer for getting email, whether through webmail or through another client (entourage, mail.app, outlook, etc.), the limits of POP show through--you won't have all of your emails, just the ones that haven't yet been downloaded. Or you have to use a kludgy "sync" solution that keeps emails on the server until you donwload them to your primary computer.

IMAP eliminates nearly all of these problems--all your emails are always available anywhere you access them.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I have IMAP gmail set up on my Mac and iPhone now... I like the iPhone's interface for filing messages to folders (what Gmail has as labels). Although there are a couple of odd things:

• I don't see a way to create a folder/label on the iPhone itself
  • if I assign a label to a message using the Gmail web interface, it doesn't move the message into a folder (one of the labels)... it just labels it and leaves it in the inbox (to actually "move" it, I have to use the iPhone?) :confused:

This does seem like it will be better than POP, but there are some quirks I'll need to get used to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.