Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 6, 2008, 01:58 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Upgrade to 16GB iPhone Without Extending Contract

After some initial confusion, iLounge received clarification from AT&T regarding the possibility of replacing your current iPhone with a 16GB one.
Quote:
Mark Siegel, Executive Director of Media and Analyst Relations with AT&T, told iLounge in an email, “If you upgrade from an 8 to a 16 GB iPhone, you sign a new contract. However, we automatically backdate it to the starting point of your contract on the 8 GB phone.” He added that the company “will make every effort to ensure that our reps provide customers with the correct information,” and clarified that customers should activate the SIM card that comes with the new model.

Article Link

Last edited by Doctor Q; Feb 6, 2008 at 10:34 PM.
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 02:01 PM   #2
Grimace
macrumors 68040

You sign a new contract? But they backdate it?

AT&T, make your own internal billing easier!!
Grimace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 02:04 PM   #3
overanalyzer
macrumors 6502a

Do you normally sign a new (backdated) contract when upgrading your phone? Or is this an iPhone specific thing?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 02:05 PM   #4
Mac-Addict
macrumors 65816

Ah cool! Hopefully its the same if you upgrade from 1st gen to 2nd gen (whenever that is).
Old Feb 6, 2008, 02:20 PM   #5
bdj21ya
macrumors 6502a

This makes no sense whatsoever. If I put my old SIM in, and throw the new one away, don't I just avoid this hassle altogether? I thought iPhones worked with any iTunes activated SIM--put it in and connect to iTunes.

Maybe they figure people will be too stupid to understand the paperclip SIM replacement diagram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overanalyzer View Post
Do you normally sign a new (backdated) contract when upgrading your phone? Or is this an iPhone specific thing?
Usually, at least here in the U.S., people buy new phones subsidized, so the contract extension makes sense. But for most any company specific phone (AT&T locked in this case), or for any unlocked SIM phone, you just pop your SIM in and it works. No need to deal with the company at all if you're buying unsubsidized.

Last edited by xUKHCx; Feb 7, 2008 at 12:49 AM. Reason: consecutive posts
bdj21ya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 02:22 PM   #6
tomjleeds
macrumors 6502

Note that O2 UK users don't need to sign a new contract if 'upgrading' from 8GB to 16GB (AKA buying another one and...well, getting rid of the other one somehow).
tomjleeds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 02:39 PM   #7
nbs2
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjleeds View Post
(AKA buying another one and...well, getting rid of the other one somehow).
Maybe that's the goal? With these "special SIMs" that ATT is using in the iPhone, this would make it easier to get rid of your old iPhone. But, what is the contract start date for the guy that you sell your phone to? Is it your old date as well or is it the date that he activates himself as the new owner (that would be kind of crappy - buy a used phone and still need to have a 2 years).
Old Feb 6, 2008, 02:47 PM   #8
darwen
macrumors 6502a

You need to get the phone past the activation screen. It is only going to get past that screen if you activate a new sim in it.

There are no special sim's in iPhone, it is the phone that would prevent you from swapping sims... not the practicality of it.

Once a US phone has been activated, any AT&T sim will work in it. Before it has been activated, no sim will work in it. You need to activate the new sim which makes the old one useless. That is why it is done like this.

To put it simply, your new 16gig phone will not get past the activation screen if you put an 8gig sim in it. It needs a fresh activation with a fresh sim.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 03:01 PM   #9
Orng
macrumors 6502

When they say "Sign" a contract, do they actually mean "agree to" a contract without a signature?

Because if I asked my current provider (Rogers) to show me my signature on a contract, they might find the request a little... challenging. And yet they'll happily refer to the contract I allegedly signed if I try to make major changes to my plan or try to get out of it.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 03:21 PM   #10
salimdao
macrumors member

how much is it to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB?
salimdao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 03:24 PM   #11
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by salimdao View Post
how much is it to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB?
Upgrade Cost = $499 for new iPhone - how much you get for your old iPhone on eBay
arn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 03:30 PM   #12
salimdao
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
Upgrade Cost = $499 for new iPhone - how much you get for your old iPhone on eBay
hahaha. i thought so.
salimdao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 03:34 PM   #13
joecirca79
macrumors newbie

Question...
If i give my wife my old iphone and i upgrade to the 16gb, what activation if any will she have to go through? She's currently on at&t.
joecirca79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 03:34 PM   #14
clayj
macrumors 604

Quote:
In my case, that would be $499 - $300 for the old phone I sold in a matter of hours on Craigslist. $200 to double my storage AND get a new phone in perfect condition is not a bad deal, as far as I am concerned.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 03:39 PM   #15
sal
macrumors 6502

what will people do with their old phones? I hear you can't use them as ipods without them being activated. I assume they can be sold and someone else can reactivate it for a new contract?
sal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 03:39 PM   #16
SirOmega
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
1. Buy 16GB iPhone
2. Unlock old iPhone
3. Sell old unlocked phone on ebay for $500
4. FREE upgrade!
SirOmega is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 03:41 PM   #17
sal
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirOmega View Post
3. Sell old unlocked phone on ebay for $500
um will people really spend $500 for an unlocked iphone?
sal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 04:19 PM   #18
Zoboomafoo
macrumors regular

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't this like a ground-breakingly awesome thing?
Zoboomafoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 04:22 PM   #19
marykay9507
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal View Post
um will people really spend $500 for an unlocked iphone?
have you looked at ebay lately? last time i looked they were going for over $500! take a look..it will blow your mind
Old Feb 6, 2008, 05:08 PM   #20
synth3tik
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to synth3tik
A while ago I contacted At&t I was told that I could either get a new iphone (at that point not yet 16G) or downgrade to a phone of equal/less value without having to renew.
synth3tik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 05:22 PM   #21
overanalyzer
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post
Usually, at least here in the U.S., people buy new phones subsidized, so the contract extension makes sense. But for most any company specific phone (AT&T locked in this case), or for any unlocked SIM phone, you just pop your SIM in and it works. No need to deal with the company at all if you're buying unsubsidized.
Except in the case of the iPhone, apparently, since they're telling people to activate the new SIM and sign the new contract instead of swapping the old SIM to the new phone. That's what struck me as odd.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 05:44 PM   #22
violaboy
macrumors member

not going to help my wife!

my wife wants an iphone and i'd love to give her my 8GB and get the 16GB, but i called ATT and they said that we'd have to start a new contract from the date of purchase of the new unit.
violaboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 05:46 PM   #23
Fuzzbear
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by violaboy View Post
my wife wants an iphone and i'd love to give her my 8GB and get the 16GB, but i called ATT and they said that we'd have to start a new contract from the date of purchase of the new unit.
Will swapping the sim cards not work?
Fuzzbear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 05:51 PM   #24
overanalyzer
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I just re-read this and it seems like that makes sense...you're starting a new contract for the new phone, no? Or are you saying they said you'd have to start new contracts for both phones?

Last edited by overanalyzer; Feb 6, 2008 at 06:11 PM.
overanalyzer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 05:59 PM   #25
Jaunty
macrumors regular

Quote:
So you have one contract and want two? How will back dating your current contact help you?
Jaunty is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion